• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - CL: Sparta Prague vs Arsenal | 15/08/07

asajoseph

Established Member
A slow game - as I predicted before the match, Prague were a very ordinary side, but we also managed to stoop to their level, and play a very pedestrian, stop-start match.

Good to win, and we're all but through now - and that's the important thing - but the performance was very, very ordinary.

Jens - 6.5 - Caught flapping on a few crosses, though he was hardly helped out by his defence - one very good save from a Sparta header, but otherwise looked untroubled.

Sagna 7 - Another very tidy display from the new RB, and set up a good goal for Hleb with quick thinking in the last minute

Kolo - 6 - Tidy enough, and a couple of decent challenges, but we still looked vulnerable every time the ball was in our box

Gallas - 6 - A decent enough display, although hardly dealing with the most challenging attack we'll see all season. Like Kolo, was at fault for some questionable decision making in the box, but make a few nice challenges, and generally had a reasonable game.

Clichy - 6.5 - A few nice runs, but really struggled to establish himself in the match, apart from his brilliant assist for Cesc. Also caught out badly on a cross-ball which gave Sparta their chance that ended up hitting the post. Showed very quick thinking, and nice feet for his assist though - well done Gael.

Eboue - 2 - I don't even know why he gets 2 points, but at least he didn't get sent off, or score an own goal. He did absolutely nothing all match, and gave the ball away almost every time he received it - a truly awful display, and yet another wake-up call to Arsène, that this experiment in money-saving will not pay off - hopefully.

Cesc - 6.5 - Lost out in midfield too many times, but still showed some tidy ideas with his forward passing. A nicely taken finish, and maybe should / could have had another. Nice aggression too - I'll forgive anyone that leaves their foot in on Repka.

Flamini - 5.5 - Nice aggression, but caught out too many times at the back, and just doesn't offer the security of Gilberto. A few reasonably good moments, and good to see him getting stuck in - but his size, strength, and general lack of attacking threat is still limiting him.

Tomas 'Stamina' Rosicky - 5.5 - a few nice moments, and one clever pass to RVP that set up a decent half-chance, but otherwise contributed far too little tonight. No real direction in a lot of his forward play, and looked slightly out of touch with his passing. Predictably substituted, as he faded towards the end.

Alex Hleb - 6.5 - A nice, if slightly scuffed, finish towards the end puts a gloss on an otherwise fairly ordinary display, that left RVP isolated up front far too often. He played some nice passes, like Rosicky, but really failed to have much of an impact. Oh, and kudos for having a go at Repka...

Van Persie - 5.5 - Far too isolated for most of the match, though able to look at least a little threatening on the rare occasions he received the ball from the midfield around the box. Didn't have a lot of options, and was left stranded by the midfield too often.

Song - 4.5 - When Wenger randomly brings on defensive substitutes, without clear positional roles, they often cause more havoc than create stability, and such was the case with Song. Scary haircut and all, he hardly made us look more secure when he came on.

Overall, a poor performance, but still more than enough to beat an even worse Sparta side - good enough, but 'Must do better' is the order of the day. And I'm sure they will.

Juicy

Re: Arsenal vs Sparta Prague - Player Ratings

asajoseph said:
Tomas 'Stamina' Rosicky
Nice little dig at Kel you got there.
I don't think many people will be able to rate the players because not very many people saw the match, most just listened. I was one of the 'listening' crowd, but as far as I could gather, no-one was outstanding but it seemed Sagna was good and Song his legs on the wrong way round.

jefree

I only managed to watch the last 20 minutes. After frustrating myself with p2p and whatsoever, I was just realised that the game was being shown live on cable tv here in NZ. Then started my car straight away and went to my friend's (he is a manure fan) house to watch the game.

So these are my comments for our players (for their performances during that last 20 minutes only).

Lehmann - Commanding well inside of goal area. Made few important saves. Started the counter attack which led to Hleb's goal.

Sagna - A couple of great headers to clear opposition's attacks. Ran out of his lungs on the left flank to assist for second goal.

Toure - No comment. Solid. Won quite a lot of headers as well.

Gallas - Same as Toure. Even though both of them still had problems clearing the ball out of penalty area.

Clichy - Great run for Cesc' goal (only managed to watch replays). But it was a good assist though.

Eboue - Invisible in last 20 minutes.

Flamini - Invisible in last 20 minutes.

Fabregas - Apart fromthe great goal, managed to make a last ditch tackle to prevent our team from conceding a last minute equaliser.

Rosicky - Got substituted when I start watching the game. Got a good applause from home fans as well.

Song - Meh

Hleb - Great goal. Nice placed shot. Keep possession well.

van Persie - Was isolated through out the 20 minutes

Wenger - Nice reaction when he shouted out of his lungs to tell the defence to clear the ball out of penalty area.

Well, that's it. Cheers. :eek:ops:

phenn

Can't rate as I listened but it sounded like Flamini had quite a few good tackles.

I didn't hear about Eboue doing anything good all game either.

Christofaux

i only saw the last 20 minutes... from that im going to rate song... and say he is useless. He needs more full reserves matches so when he does come on as a substitute he can at least try and be effective. First touch was a simple pass that went out instead of to clichy, next touch was pretty much the header that looked like an own goal attempt.

Sagna looked strong and the two sliding challenges by toure on the through ball and fabregas on their striker were to perfection.

IBL

Established Member
Bringing Song as a sub is always scary, he comes on with this lax-like attitude and appears to be all over the place. His better performances are definitely better when he starts and is able to grow into the game, as a sub he makes me and many others jittery as he's liable to do more harm than good.

RC8

Established Member
playerratingsip2.png

Lehmann - 8 - Composed, made 3 fantastic saves, and gave the ball to Sagna for the 3rd goal. Very pleased with his performance.

Gallas - 7 - Good captain. Very influential and solid in the back throughout, with the exception of one occasion.

Touré- 7 - Good. Made a couple of fantastic tackles. Apart from that he was OK.

Sagna- 8 - I'm giving him a very high rating because he kept going forward and trying to find space, while remaining defensively solid. Has proven an excellent buy so far.

Clichy- 7.5 - Had a difficult time defending, but apart from the one chance at the beginning of the game he was solid and reliable. His move for our first goal was out of this world; sublime.

Fabregas- 6.5 - Nothing spectacular, but was consistent and scored a great goal. I want to see more of that.

Flamini- 7 - After a decent firs half he came back very composed for the second half. He made some great tackles and was constantly pushing his team-mates into getting involved. An inspiring performance.

Eboué- 5 - Didn't do much really. But to be fair to him the defence was very strong down that side, and Sagna decided to stay back in order to prevent counter attacks instead of giving him the support he was waiting for. Personally I think Sagna was right to stay at the back as Gallas kept bursting forward.

Rosicky- 5.5 - Terrible first half, but much improved 2nd half. Got a standing ovation from the crowd, which was good to see.

Hleb- 7 - Played well overall. Didn't do much wrong but wasn't too influential. His goal in the end was very well taken, and I'm glad he is willing to shoot now.

van Persie- 7 - Isolated up front, but made things happen on several occasions. He is more than apt to replace Henry in terms of being able to win a game by himself if needed.

My ratings are higher than Asa's because I really rate the Sparta team we just beat. They are a team that would have certainly been in Europe if they had not gotten a rival of our category.

You could see the great team spirit the squad has as we scored the 2nd goal and the players on the bench jumped with joy.

P.S. I won't comment on Song. I feel sorry for the lad. It's not his fault Wenger puts him out there.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I saw the match and we owe the victory to two players , firstly clichy , intercepts the pass drives past 3 players to the edge of the box and lays it off to Fab to finish,

2ndly Sagna who went all the way to the left to block a cross and then sprinted the left wing to set up Hleb. Those who saw the match know what I am talking about .

Not going to bother rating the team they struggled , Sparta really tried to rough us up , so many two footed challenges it was not beyond belief. The sooner Ade , Eduardo and Gilberto even Diaby and Denilson come back the better.

Special mention to Song - my god. :shock:

asajoseph

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
RC8 said:
My ratings are higher than Asa's because I really rate the Sparta team we just beat.
So do I. Czech teams are never pushovers, by the way Ajax - Slavia Prague 0-1.

When we played Sparta a few years ago, they were the almost certainly the worst team I've ever seen in the Champions league. They were better tonight, but not by much - there was next to nothing to their play, beyond fouling, and a general physical approach.

If aiming at a 6'7 target man is as good as the Czech league can come up with, I don't hold out much hope for Sparta in the future - they were rubbish, and to be honest, based on their European performances alone, I really, really don't rate Sparta.

phenn

RC8 said:
Sagna- 8 - I'm giving him a very high rating because he kept going forward and trying to find space, while remaining defensively solid. Has proven an excellent buy so far.

Eboué- 5 - Didn't do much really. But to be fair to him the defence was very strong down that side, and Sagna decided to stay back in order to prevent counter attacks instead of giving him the support he was waiting for. Personally I think Sagna was right to stay at the back as Gallas kept bursting forward.

I don't mean to nitpick but was Sagna going forward a lot this match or no?

yankeegooner

phenn said:
Can't rate as I listened but it sounded like Flamini had quite a few good tackles.

I didn't hear about Eboue doing anything good all game either.

Wait, I thought the game was on live in the UK? I'm stateside, so I was listening at work, but why were the rest of you just listening? Are that many of us outside the UK? They really need to get internet video for the non-UK audience, I'd have paid good money to watch this match...

RC8

Established Member
phenn said:
RC8 said:

I don't mean to nitpick but was Sagna going forward a lot this match or no?

He was going forward a lot when the central midfield was in possession, but when Eboué got the ball, Gallas would usually go forward, and Sagna did not overlap. When I said 'going forward' I also mean making runs with the ball, such as the one that led to our second goal. Not necessarily making runs off the ball.

Hope that helps.

Dez

I watched the whole game and i think it unfair to single out individuals, because I believe it was a team perfromance, most were solid, none were outstanding. Wenger's tactics I thought were poor. Van Persie was playing back to goal most of the game when he clearly needs to be running at people and when he did he looked good. Eboue is not a winger that much is clear. Sagna certainly is a right back. Clichy made som uncharacteristic mistakes. Rosicky and Cesc didn't see much ball. Hleb in the whole is better than Eboue on the right but I think Hleb could develop in that position but only if the srtiker is playing on the defenders shoulder. i.e. Hleb should only play with Eduardo and Van Persie should be paired with Bendtner or Ade IMO. We created little opportunities, outplayed in some parts of the games.

POSITIVES: We won. We played in a physical niggly game and not only kept everyone on the pitch but gave a bit back ourselves, suddenly Blackburn away doesn't look daunting after this game. And as I said before we created very little scoring opportunities and scored 2 goals. In fact I dare say they were the only two clear cut opportunites, maybe we are developing a ruthless streak.

gstew

They showed the game here in the USA live on Setanta Extra (channel 670), but it was not listed correctly within the DirecTV guide. For future Champions League games, those of us in America should definitely check this channel.

I saw the whole game and have to agree with Asa's ratings. We were awful in the first half and just decent in the second. The only Arsenal player that was consistently good throughout the game was Sagna. Here are my ratings:

Lehmann - 7
Gallas - 6.5
Touré- 6.5
Sagna- 8.5
Clichy- 6.5 Would have been much lower, but an extraordinary play for the goal.
Fabregas- 6.5 Regardless of his good finish, there still seems to be something missing from his game. Maybe it is the lack of Gilberto. I would prefer to see Denilson instead of Flamini to see if this helps
Flamini- 6
Eboué- 4
Rosicky- 5
Hleb- 7
Van Persie- 5.5

Zico

Established Member
This is the first match where I've felt it necessary to rate the players and the tactics:

Top performers

Lehmann - wonderful save in first half, confident

Hleb - ran the show, but had to drop back a lot. well taken goal.

Sagna - i'm no longer pining for Lauren. did not attack much, but was always solid in the back

Very Good

Gallas / Toure - were physical, and organised defense very well.

Fabregas - did not do much wrong, took his shot well. did not attack much. i think he has been instructed to stay back. needs to keep a calm head. if Repka had stayed on, Fab could've been headed for trouble.

Good
van Persie - hurt by the lack of support. Had some wonderful balls across goal that were just crying for a target man to just bump into. Great skill on a few occassions.

Rosicky - was largely absent. much of our play was on the right flank as usual. this guy is a weak link on the left.

Flamini - did not do much wrong. did well against a good, physical midfield.

Clichy - responsible for the first assist, but i thought that the fellow had a 'mare on defense. if Wenger wants to experiment with fullbacks in attacking positions, he could take Clichy to left wing because this guy is often caught out of position on passes.

Passenger
Eboue - this cat broke down attacks on the right, did not link up well with either Sagna or Hleb, dove unnecessarily, and had the nerve to complain to referee when the ref wasn't convinced by his acting.

Coach and Tactics
I really like Hleb in the 10, and it is clear he likes the authority, but for the fourth straight game Fabregas looked left out. The Spaniard needs to be allowed to play further up the pitch.

van Persie was often left alone as Hleb fell back, and struggled to be the lone man. When he drifted to left, he usually lacked a partner running down the centre.

The team needed a lift around half-time. Last night against Reading, Mourinho shocked Chelsea into action at half time with some wise substitions. Janus and Tommy, the ESPN crew, called for Bendtner, who I thought would've been a vast improvement over Eboue.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Re: Arsenal vs Sparta Prague - Player Ratings

sashakal said:
asajoseph said:
Tomas 'Stamina' Rosicky
Nice little dig at Kel you got there.
I don't think many people will be able to rate the players because not very many people saw the match, most just listened. I was one of the 'listening' crowd, but as far as I could gather, no-one was outstanding but it seemed Sagna was good and Song his legs on the wrong way round.
:lol: for a change :lol:

yankeegooner

gstew said:
They showed the game here in the USA live on Setanta Extra (channel 670), but it was not listed correctly within the DirecTV guide. For future Champions League games, those of us in America should definitely check this channel.

Cheers Gstew, although I don't have DirectTV and f*cking Comcast won't get Setanta. I do have a friend who has a dish, so I can always watch there I suppose. Wish there was some way Arsenal.com and the satellite/cable providers could get together on splitting a fee from a viewer to watch online, so they'd actually let it happen...

MDGoonah41

Established Member
yankeegooner said:
gstew said:

Cheers Gstew, although I don't have DirectTV and f*cking Comcast won't get Setanta. I do have a friend who has a dish, so I can always watch there I suppose. Wish there was some way Arsenal.com and the satellite/cable providers could get together on splitting a fee from a viewer to watch online, so they'd actually let it happen...

We need to organize a letter writing campaign to Comcast to get them to add Setanta. I live in a place where I can't order Direct TV and it sucks.

Top Bottom