• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - FR: NK Maribor vs Arsenal | 22/07/04

A

Anonymous

Please do not use text language, this has been stated in the forum rules and several times by the Moderation team.

KingReyes

Established Member
Cheers JR2004. Thanks fpr putting in the effort. Nice to see the likes of Pennant and Hoyte imprerssing.

beanz

You sure live up to your name terrible tony. If you want to be taken seriously you must elaborate a bit more than just saying "bollocks", that only serves to make you sound juvenile. It's o,k, to make constructive criticism, but you must back it up with reasoned debate.
Thanks again Jose for the exciting commentary. :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

nice report jose :mrgreen: you done a good job there :D thanks for that :p

Great to read about Pennant and especially Hoyte. I assume that with Lauren playing as right back Hoyte was in central defence, as you said he was a "young Sol Campbell". Brilliant!

Great post.

calvinngai88

brianfrance said:
I didn't see the match, but at arsenal.com it seems clichy played
How did he play ?? Was he good ?

Clichy played a decent game, giving options when he gave attacking runs. Rating, 7.5/10. He went off to make way for Eboue but came back on! This time was Lauren going off, Eboue change to RB while Clichy took back his LB position.

As for Jose Antonio Reyes 2004's report, it's very detailed. Thanks for that. Hoyte was excellent for the match. Hoyte's rating 9.5/10. Especially his speed and calm tackling (didn't know he ran so fast!). Reyes did have a quiet game, especially the second half but his first half wasn't that bad. He dribbled into the defenders, and there's once he even showed his tricks. Let me tell this incident to you guys out there. His back was facing a defender. He turned the ball with his right foot, the defender followed him, but he pulled the ball back with his left foot, tricking the defender to leave him a gap of space, and Reyes then made a stepover before shooting, Maribor's goalkeeper didn't handle well of the ball and Bergkamp scored. Everyone was clapping for Reyes with his skills on the ball. I'll rate him a 5.5/10.

I wasn't impressed by Eboue when he was brought on and took over Clichy at LB. He kept attacking, never defended well enough, always gone out of position and gave alot of space for Maribor's players to cut in and cross. A few average passes. I suppose that was why Wenger switched him over to the right, subbed out Lauren and put back Clichy in again. To choose between the 2 Ivorian trialists, I'll take Marco Ne. Though everyone might blame him for not jumping to head the ball away, his presence in the midfield should not be ignored. He resembles a young and inexperienced Vieira but showed calmness, gave a few good passes, especially a long one right at the far end for pennant, who then dribbled and cut in, passed the ball to bergkamp whose shot (could had been a great team goal) was blocked by a defender. He kept tackling and stayed in position. Whenever Maribor cleared the ball away from crosses and corners, he's always the first to get the ball and initiated another attack again. A free header that he should have scored. Showed that he could head well, but the ball just couldn't get into the net (I thought it was a goal when he headed with great power).

Eboue's rating 4/10
Ne's rating 7/10

Cesc had a good first half. Many strong tackles there, always winning 50-50 balls. Almost scored when Pennant gave a pin-point cross into the six-yard box. But unfortunately, his right foot gave only the slightest touch on the ball. Cesc's rating 7.5/10

Pennant was EXCELLENT! Kept dribbling and cutting in, Superb crosses, better than Beckham's I reckon. Very good game for him, will definitely boost his confidence for the upcoming seaosn to push Ljungberg. He almost made another Henry's style of goal when he burst out from the edge of penalty box, used mainly speed and dribbled his way towards the other half of the pitch, He got another 2 defenders to beat, 1 was out of position. The other one tripped him and the referee gave no freekick at all! I was so furious. Even Wenger was shown shouting for a foul. Pennant was agitated (shown maturity and great composure). Had he got past this defender, I'm sure it would have been a goal, a splendid solo goal. Great run by him. Pennant's rating 9.5/10.

Svard was consistent in his passes and intercepts but didn't do much in the tackles. Was overshadowed by other players in the midfield though. I'll give him a 6.5/10.

When RVP came in for Aliadiere, every fan was shouting "Arsenal Arsenal Van Persie!" for 5 times before giving a big round of applause to him. First 5min when he went in, never managed a good touch on the ball, but managed to get a slight knock on the ball from a narrow angle. A good attempt on goal. Then came his superior moves. Initiated an attack, passed the ball on to Reyes, who then crossed in, RVP missed the header, Pennant came in from far end, put in a PERFECT cross just nice for RVP to head in, with ease. GOAL! A couple of minutes later, Bergkamp was in the centre, outside the edge of penalty box then gave a light tap on the ball towards the left of him, guess what? It's RVP again! exactly the same spot where he scored a scorcher against Barnet. Exactly the same shot, same direction, same place where he's aiming, top left hand corner of the goalpost. Maribor's goalkeeper did dive and raised up his hands but they were nowhere near the ball. As the ball dipped, it looked like a goal, but missed by just a few centimetres! Close one, really close. He lightened up the game after a long and "boring" when the second-half began. I'll have him for 8.5/10.

Stuart Taylor didn't convince me. I was though impressed with his performance a few seasons back when he played in the Arsenal 3-1 Juventus CL match, where he made such excellent saves, I was thinking he might be england's future no.1. But he did not make any saves at all for the match when he came on. Slow reaction when Rakic scored a Roberto-Carlos style of powerful ground ball freekick. He seems to have lost his agility. Wasn't good at the ball too. He even fumbled with the ball with his hands and conceded a corner! Though I shouldn't condemn him in just a mere 45min friendly game, I really hope he does give his best when he's given the chance or else he won't get any more. He'll get a 4/10 from me.

Almunia, on the other hand, managed a few saves. Calm on the ball. Loved to get out of position and sometimes even the penalty box, luckily there wasn't any opponent strikers nearby. Abit like Lehmann. Didn't expect him to have a good game though. My trust for him looks like being built up. 7/10 for Manuel.

Bergkamp led the team well, many great passes from him, another goal for him to prove that he has not lost his touch. Showed great stuff on the ball, had a few good turns around the defenders but lost the ball though. 8/10 for DB10.

Gilberto and Lauren both had an average game. Lauren made some solid and strong sliding tackles. 7/10 for both.

Aliadiere wasn't having a good game but at least he scored a header, which was fortunate enough because the keeper dived the wrong way, but ALMOST managed to save with his long legs. Didn't have the best of all complete finishes on the ball, especially the one when he gave a good first touch though, but his second touch, a half-volley strike, ballooned the ball high over the post (but was not as high as Beckham's missed penalty in Euro :lol: ) He had more time than expected. Maybe he was abit too eager to show Wenger that he's worthed a place in the first team. Hope he can raise his standards as soon as possible :) . He'll have a 7.5/10.

Senderos was rather overshadowed by Hoyte in the centre of defence but nevertheless, you can't neglect his services to the game. Headed away many dangerous balls into the six-yard box. Strong tackles. Ordered a few players to mark who and who when it was time for corners. Indeed a great leading ability hidden in him. Senderos's rating 8/10.

My opinions:-
Highlight of the match - RVP's introduction to the game

Goal of the match - 1. RVP's header 2. Maribor's Rakic rattling long range Carlos-style of freekick.

Miss of the match - 1. Aliadiere's balloned half-volley strike 2. Marco Ne's free header 3. RVP's nearly 2nd scorcher in 2nd game for Arsenal.

Best Arsenal's player on the pitch - 1. Pennant (attacking player always tack the plaudits when compared to the best defending player in the same game) 2. Hoyte 3. Bergkamp/RVP

Worst Arsenal's player on the pithc - 1. Eboue 2. Svard 3. Reyes (did well though with a few tricks in 1st half)

Most amusing moment of the match - Clichy came back on after being subbed out a couple of minutes earlier.

A

Anonymous

whoever thinks Reyes played badly for the match deserves to be called bollocks boy.

and hoyte didnt do that well either.

Matt

calvinngai88 said:
I wasn't impressed by Eboue when he was brought on and took over Clichy at LB. He kept attacking, never defended well enough, always gone out of position and gave alot of space for Maribor's players to cut in and cross. A few average passes. I suppose that was why Wenger switched him over to the right, subbed out Lauren and put back Clichy in again. To choose between the 2 Ivorian trialists, I'll take Marco Ne. Though everyone might blame him for not jumping to head the ball away, his presence in the midfield should not be ignored. He resembles a young and inexperienced Vieira but showed calmness, gave a few good passes, especially a long one right at the far end for pennant, who then dribbled and cut in, passed the ball to bergkamp whose shot (could had been a great team goal) was blocked by a defender. He kept tackling and stayed in position. Whenever Maribor cleared the ball away from crosses and corners, he's always the first to get the ball and initiated another attack again. A free header that he should have scored. Showed that he could head well, but the ball just couldn't get into the net (I thought it was a goal when he headed with great power).

Eboue's rating 4/10
Ne's rating 7/10

Eboué can do a lot better, he's NOT a left back he's a right back origionally who can also play in the center, but certainly not on the left side. That's probably why he didn't play so well. And Yes he's a very attacking right back (TRABELSI also :wink: ) So he has to be accompanied with a RM not a RF or LF like Reyes normally is. But his attacking skills are fenominal, just like Trabelsi.

Né is indeed a very calm midfielder, AW has noticed that to in the cup final. He will never play out of position and always make a great contribution defensivly as well as to the attack. He has a good long distance shot to but he willn't dare to try it at Arsenal. He 's a very shy boy, he really is. (I think that's one of the reasons why Eboué has accompanied him on this trial)

calvinngai88

Thanks Arjan for that plaudit. Also thanks to Matt for giving such a detailed knowledge about Eboue and Ne. Didn't know much about these 2 before they came for trials at Arsenal. However, no matter how good Eboue is in attacking, he certainly has to defend well, which I didn't see in the Maribor game. The first time I saw Ne playing, I'm already thinking of him being a future great player not only for Ivory Coast but also the club he'll play, hopefully Arsenal. I'll try to see what Eboue can do in other friendly games to impress me. :D

Matt

calvinngai88 said:
Also thanks to Matt for giving such a detailed knowledge about Eboue and Ne. Didn't know much about these 2 before they came for trials at Arsenal. However, no matter how good Eboue is in attacking, he certainly has to defend well, which I didn't see in the Maribor game. The first time I saw Ne playing, I'm already thinking of him being a future great player not only for Ivory Coast but also the club he'll play, hopefully Arsenal. I'll try to see what Eboue can do in other friendly games to impress me. :D

You're right, that's why I would love to see him play at the RM position, we (Beveren) get to many goals against us, not only the fault of Eboué but when we attach the Ivorians sometimes lose sight of the defense.

Thanks by the way for the detailed report, I hope you can do the same for the next games when Né and Eboué play. :wink:

We miss our 2 players very much we've just lost a friendly to a 2 klasse team ( = first dvision) with 5-0 :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

calvinngai88

So Ne and Eboue are the core players of Beveren? I didn't know that. Well, I'll try to do the same, maybe you should have given plaudits to Jose Antonio Reyes 2004. My report was almost as similar as his. Just a few different opinions. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom