• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Newcastle United | 30/08/08

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Re: Arsenal v Newcastle match ratings

Almunia 6
Sagna 6
Gallas 6
Toure 6
Clichy 7
Denilson 5
Eboue 6
Fabregas 8
Nasri 6
van Persie 8
Adebayor 6

TheEmirateDon

Almunia - 6 - Solid enough, nothing to spectacular, just did his job.

Gallas - 7 - Ventured forward more than he normally does, got stuck in at the back, and generally lead the line well.

Kolo - 7 - Nice to have our old Kolo, very solid defensively, about time he put in a solid performance. The effect of being benched perhaps ?

Sagna - 6.5 - Sloppy in places, didn't make the most of his over-laps, but can't really fault him on that, at least he's willing to actually get the ball in the box.

Clichy - 7.5 - Brilliant. Posed a threat all game long, unlucky not to get a goal, it's no more than his performances deserved.

Denilson - 6 - Didn't do a great deal, to be honest didn't really need to, wasn't really tested.

Cesc - 6.5 - A good performance, still not the Cesc who was producing the goods week after weeks last season, though, that extra bit of quality will come as he picks up more minutes.

Eboue - 6 - A threat in the first half, fell away towards the end of the second, still needs to learn when the right time to pass the ball is, and when he can express himself and dribble.

Nasri - 7 - Really came alive towards the end of the game, didn't have the best first-half by any means, but as the game went on he became more and more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Van Persie - 8 - My Man Of The Match. Simply outstanding, particularly in the first-half, Newcastle just had no answer to his cheeky flicks and round-the-corner balls.

Adebayor - 7 - Worked hard, spent most of his first half on the right, and most of the second on the left, which was a bit confusing, though a good showing, not great, but a good showing nonetheless, still needs to find that extra bit of sharpness for me.

Vela - 6.5 - Came on and looked like he'd been playing with this team for years What a weapon.

Walcott - 5 - Not enough time to make an impact.

Song - 5 - Again, like Walcott, not enough time to make an impact.

Galahad

Allright, 5 is average, 10 is best, 0 is worst.

Almunia: 6 Never tested too much but when he was he looked quite well.

Gallas: 5 Did do some things well and others not too well...should have scored.
Kolo: 6 I thought he was more solid defensivley and more dangerous up front.
Sagna: 5 Had a decent game but nothing really about him comes to my mind when I think about that game.
Clichy: 8 Had an excellent game, a fine shot on goal and was overall a tireless working monster. Hard to get past him.

Denilson: 5 First half was rather poor from him, he stepped it up a little in the second half, but the only reason he got a 5 was his goal. He is lacking inspiration and creativity up front and a lot of confidence. Whenever he gets the ball he seems unsure what to do with it (or at least he does so too often).
Cesc: 6 Had a good game, but I didnt find him as amazing as some of you guys. He inspired our team going forward and gave our team some defensive cover. Good game overall but nothing special as of yet.
Eboue: 6 I liked him. He had a good game, some nice forward moves, some good defending. Sadly, he disappeared in the second half. Had a superb assist.
Nasri: 6 Fits in superbly into our squad, had a lot of quality offensive moves to his Name and was sharp all match long. Didnt see too much of him defensivley tho.

Van Persie: 8 Two goals and all in all a good display. I did think he didnt make the most of his opportunities on the pitch, he can certainly step up to that. He did bring the ball forward quickly tho and was rather effective up front. Had lots of ideas and looked very sharp.
Adebayor: 7 Had a very good game in my book. Set up 2 goals and the third one indirectly (by making the pass to Eboue who set it up for v. Persie) could have scored himself but never really had a clear cut chance I think (could be that I missed one tho). He was a tireless worker, very unselfish. He was vital for our game today, always available and at the center of every attackign move. Only thing missing from him was a goal but as I said, he was never really in the best position. Not too many offsides from him today too! Keep it up big man. I do agree with Wenger tho...his PR handling hasnt been the best.

Vela: 7 Had a good game, looked very lively and Im sure he will score a couple of goals this season. Very impressive considering his short time on the pitch today.
Walcott: 5 Some good moves but was wasteful with his glorious opportunity and a bit selfish.
Song: 5 Came on a little too late to really judge him. I thought he made a good impression though.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

banduan said:
i can't believe the low scores for Ade. MotM really.
True. Mine was a little low aswell. He was in the middle of everything. Perhaps Im a little disapointed cause he didn't finish his one chance and score today.

Very intelligent play from him though.

TheEmirateDon

Galahad said:
Cesc: 6 Had a good game, but I didnt find him as amazing as some of you guys. He inspired our team going forward and gave our team some defensive cover. Good game overall but nothing special as of yet.
Agreed, he was good, especially defensively. But twas his performance really worthy of an 8 rating ? I don't think so.

I know everyone is entitled their opinion, but I really don't think he was as great as some are making out. Just because it's Fabregas, the best player we currently have, it doesn't necessarily mean we have to exaggerate is rating.

banduan

Established Member

TheEmirateDon said:
Galahad said:
Agreed, he was good, especially defensively. But twas his performance really worthy of an 8 rating ? I don't think so.

Agreed. Gave him a 7 because i don't do 6.5 and he was great defensively.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

Almunia 6.5
Sagna 6.5
Toure 6
Gallas 6
Clichy 7
Denilson 5.5
Fabregas 7
Eboue 6.5
Nasri 6
Adebayor 6
van Persie 7.5

Vela 7
Walcott 4
Song 5.5

TomasCR

Established Member

Vela 7 and Nasri with Adebayor both 6, that´s amazing, really...

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

I would have given Adebayor a higher mark, but he missed another easy chance. Nasri, whilst good when he got the ball, wasn't involved enough for my liking.

TheEmirateDon

He was fairly quiet during the first-half, particularly as the half wore on, even had me thinking he wasn't 100% fit ( you know with his stomach ache and all ).

But he came out the second half a looked like a real threat, and very comfortable on the ball. Constantly he was posing questions to the Newcastle defence He also linked the play aswell, never once did he break up the play and genuinely he made himself a real nuisance in and around the Newcastle penalty box all second half long, aswell as a few pieces of trickery in our own half also.

Now to me that warrants at least a 6.5, but if you choose to give him a 6, fair enough, quite a few of us thought he had a great game, but, of course not everyones opinion's going to be the same.

kooldawg

Established Member

Almunia:6 - Average game for him. Didnt stand out too much and saved the few shots that came his way.

Gallas:7 Did moderately well for the most part.
Kolo:7 Same as above, Djourou might finally be putting some pressure on him.
Sagna:7 Solid game
Clichy:8 I think he was one of the stars of todays match. Good allround performance. Loved the shot on goal, too bad he couldnt place it away from Given.

Denilson: 7 Good goal, does need to work on other aspects of the game. But hes learning. The goal gives him a 7 otherwise a 6.
Cesc:8 Good game, was physical and brought some creativity to our side.
Eboue:6 mainly for the "assist" to RvP. Needs to concentrate on playing the game more. But then again Eboue wouldnt be Eboue w/o the antics and the horrible decision making.
Nasri:8 Great game for him. Legend in the making??

Van Persie:7 Yeah he scored 2 goals, but i think he was average. Came in too deep at times to get the ball and that hampered his efficiency.
Adebayor:8 One of Ades better games this season. Only flaw was that he was not selfish enough, should have been rewarded with a goal for his hard work.

Vela: 7 Nice cameo appearance. Just needs more time to gel in with the other players.
Walcott:6.5 decent enough. Nothing spectacular.
Song:6 Did his job defensively but didnt stand out.

True Gooner

Established Member

Almunia - 6

Sagna - 7
Gallas - 7
Toure - 7
Clichy - 7

Eboue - 7
Fabregas - 7
Denilson - 7
Nasri - 7

Adebayor - 7.5
Van Persie - 8

Subs -
Walcott - 6
Vela - 7
Song - N/A

GaelForce22

Established Member

Almunia 7 - One great save from an offside header and a lot of comfortable goalkeeping afterwards.

Sagna 7 - Linked really well with players up the flank and defended solidly.
Toure 7 - Wasn't troubled in defence and caused Given to make two great saves.
Gallas 7 - Should have scored at the start of the match, and like Toure, wasn't really troubled in defence. One fault with his and Toure's performance was that they didn't get enough distance on headers when they cleared them. That could trouble us against better opposition.
Clichy 9 - His defensive and attacking game seems to get better every time he plays. He also instigated a lot of our counter attacks too with his seemingly never ending energy and pace.

Eboue 7 - Only the second time I think he's given a good performance on the right wing, with a lucky/brilliant backheel. Still though, he managed to mix the good with a dive and a ridiculously bad cross in the first half.
Denilson 7 - Put himself about well and was very tidy in the defensive part of his game. Offensively his passing was again poor but he managed to get himself a goal.
Fabregas 8 - Not his best game in an Arsenal shirt, but he was at the forefront of most of our attacks in his 200th game for the club.
Nasri 9 - Fantastic. This kid is going to be a star for us. Without wanting to go overboard I think he showed the best elements of Rosicky and Hleb's games today. MOTM

Adebayor 9 - Did everything right except for his left footed finish. Got himself 2 assists and deserved a goal.
Van Persie 9 - Finally got on the score sheet and his all round performance was the best we've seen from him since getting injured last October.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

Almunia - 6.5 - There when called upoin

Sagna - 7.5
Gallas - 7
Touré - 7
Clichy - 8 - Link up with Nasri looks like they've been doing it for more then 4 matches.

Eboue - 7
Fabregas - 7.5
Denilson - 7
Nasri - 8

Adebayor - 7.5 (8 if he had scored, and taken the shot when he layed off to Walcott)
Van Persie - 8

Subs -
Walcott - 6
Vela - 7
Song - 6.5 - Solid, but came in when it was already won.

AliBabaBrewer

Almunia - 6 - Did little, but 2 out of 3 for clean sheets
Clichy - 8 - Worked his balls off and did well at whatever he tried
Gallas - 6 - Did his stuff well
Toure - 7 - Solid + a few goal chances
Sagna - 6 - Not quite the impressive performances we got last year, but still solid
Nasri - 7 - Good performance, bigger impact than Hleb
Denilson - 5 - Goal aside, he actually hurt the team a little bit
Fabregas - 7 - His quality showed why we'd done poorly without him
Eboue - 6 - Actually getting better!
Van Persie - 7 - A few dodgy first half chances, but started to grow into his old self
Adebayor - 7 - Missed a few chances, but linked up well for most, if not all, our goals today

Walcott - 5 - Made little impact, aside from a couple of good turns
Song - 6 - Didn't do much, but started to get stuck in
Vela - 6 - A few good passes and a good chance, but nothing special

asajoseph

Established Member

Most of my thoughts are here, but briefly:

Almunia - 6 - Nothing to do
Clichy - 8 - Dealt pretty well with the lively Gutierrez, got forward well too
Toure - 7 - Solid in defence, a few nice runs forward
Gallas - 7 - As above, without the forward runs
Sagna - 6.5 - Relatively solid, but didn't offer much going forward. Some nice tackles though.

Eboue - 6 - +1 for great assist, +1 for great running forward, -1 for no final ball, and -1 for stupid diving.
Fabregas - 7 - Solid, good passing
Denilson - 6 - Poor passing at times, but decent tackling. Nice goal.
Nasri - 8 - Mobile & dangerous - versatile in possession.

Adebayor - 8 - Worked really, really hard and gave Newcastle a lot of problems
Van Persie - 8 - Linked play better than he has before, nice brace.

Walcott - 6 - A couple of nice runs, but a poor miss.
Song - 6 - Didn't get much chance to do anything
Vela - 6 - Tidy, but unspectacular debut.

henry79

Almunia:6

Gallas:7
Kolo:6
Sagna:6
Clichy:7

Denilson:6
Cesc:7
Eboue:6
Nasri:7

Van Persie:8 MOTM
Adebayor:7

Vela:6
Walcott:5
Song:5

mjkgooner

Almunia 7 done what he needed to do

Sagna 7 Solid as ever

Clichy 8 great enery but will he ever score?

Toure 7 done what was needed unlucky not to score

Gallas 7 See Toure

Eboue 8 Played really well, hopefully he's canging his attitude

Nasri 8 A very lever player, great imagination and direct

Denilson 8 Best game i've seen him have for a while looked comfortable and assured and got a goal from a great team move.

Fabregas 8 Got stuck in and kept the game ticking over in the middle of the park, he's been greatly missed.

Adebayor 7 work hard for the team and linked up well with Robin.

Van Persie 9 two goals and all rounf great link up play with the midfield and Ade, just such a shame that he went off but thats the Robin Van Persie story really, signs of great talent curtailed by injury.

Vela 6 Looked tidy enough looking forward to seeing much more of him

Song 6 Composed but had no time to have a reat impact on ther game

Theo 6 Didn't get much time coming off a niggle from wednesday but should have score.

Hon. mention Shay Given, conceeded 3 but showed he is class with a string of great saves. Well played Shay.

dutchMasta

Almunia: 6 (Fine)

Gallas: 7 (Solid and strong)
Kolo: 7 (Strong and a nice shot)
Sagna: 6.5 (Fine by a right-backs standard, but not at his best)
Clichy: 7 (Great, energetic)

Denilson: 6.5 (Sloppy passing, some decent defending and a nice goal)
Cesc: 7 (Great passing game, looked comfortable)
Eboue: 6.5 (Mixed bag, but nice assist)
Nasri: 8 (Looks very good, v happy for him)

Van Persie: 8 (2 goals, and a threat, finally looking better after a huge run of looking awful)
Adebayor: 7.5 (Caused a lot of trouble)

Vela: 6.5 (Doesn't look half bad, strong and added some threat)
Walcott: 5.5 (Missed a major chance)
Song: 6 (No impact, but none needed really)

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom