• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Bolton Wanderers vs Arsenal | 03/12/05

asajoseph

Established Member
Bolton was always going to a big test for us. We knew how they were going to play, we knew what sort of football they'd try against us. It was going to test not only our resolve, but whether or not we've actually learned anything at all from our weak start to the season.

And, if it was a test, Arsenal and Arsène Wenger recieved a resounding F today. We knew what they were going to do to us, and we were naive, stupid, and not prepared.

Jens Lehmann - Not a lot he could have done for either of the goals, and pulled off some very good saves to stop us being totally embarrassed by the scoreline as well as the performance. It's always a bad sign when it's your goalkeeper who shows the most drive and will in a game, but that's exactly what happened today 8

Lauren - Not directly at fault for either of the goals, but part of a weak defence. Not really able to attack greatly, and offered absolutely no protection by the hapless Freddie Ljungberg, but wasn't the worst player we had on display today by any stretch 6

Campbell - Our outfield player who showed the most urgency. Again, that's not great for a CB, but he at least looked interested in driving forward in the second half. Unfortunately, our midfield was shambolic, and didn't allow him any outlets whatsoever. Made some important tackles too 7

Toure - Got lost a little too often, but still made some good tackles. Again, tried to drive play forward, and could have done better with a hard chance near the end, but the game was already gone. 6

Cygan - We already knew he wasn't a left back. But after today's performance, you have to wonder why he's even a footballer. His tackling was so poorly timed it was embarrassing, just hacking away at people's shins. His passing too was poor. 3

Ljungberg - Very poor performance. Kept getting fouled, but never looked like doing anything dangerous, and seemed to resort for a 'kick and chase' philosophy down the right wing for the whole game. Never looked like doing anything threatening the Bolton goal. 4

Gilberto - Shocking error for Bolton's second, and as per usual his passing was appaling. He's become a little more silky on the ball in the last few months, but playing against Bolton today it was absolutely no use. 4

Fabregas - Starting with only one player in the midfield capable of making a pass in the final third was always going to put pressure on Cesc, but he wasn't all that bad. Could have done better with some of the chances that came his way, but was at least able to distribute reasonably, without ever putting any threatening balls in 6

Pires - An embarassment. He doesn't have the pace, the skill, or even the balls to play at the top level in the Premiership any more, and it's a mystery to me why he's still selected. His miss after Henry hit the post was a joke, his positional play was abysmal, and his passing was weak. All he did today was slow down all our attacks by taking too long on the ball, dribbling into the middle, and then passing it backwards. Contributed absolutely nothing, apart from a few shocking errors. 2

RvP - Strikers like van Persie, who like the ball at their feet, are always going to have games like today. He didn't get good service, and when he did he was closed down too quickly to really do anything with it. Shouldn't have been taken off (in my oppinion), as he at least has some spark, but he never got a chance to show it today. 5

Henry - Created two fantastic chances for himself and hit the post twice. Looked vaguely dangerous, although could hardly get himself into the game as our midfield was so poor. Still, he didn't look like he was 100% committed today, which is not something you want to see from your captain. 6

Substitutes:

Bergkamp - For all his running, he just couldn't find the space today, and made very little impact in the brief time he was on the field. 5

Reyes - Like Bergkamp, didn't get much opportunity to make any impact, and wasn't given any quality ball in the final third. Played one excellent pass for Henry, but that's about it. 5

Eboue - Gave the ball away easily twice early on, but he at least showed a bit of adventure, and a bit of desire in attack. Couldn't make much of an impact though. 6

===============================================

All in all, a pretty awful performance, highlighting the paucity of our midfield, the slide that our wingers have taken, our inability to play hard-nosed football. and our desparate need for some new wingers. We have the weakest left hand side we've EVER had under Wenger, and only half of that is enforced. It'll be hard for Wenger to convince anyone, least of all Henry, that the team we have at the moment really has the bollocks to win anything after a performance like today.

Gurgen

Established Member
I'm not going to bother explaining but here are my ratings:

Jens 8
Lauren 6
Kolo 5
Sol 6
Cygan 2
Freddie 4
Cesc 7
Gilberto 4
Pires 5
Henry 6.5
RvP 6

Subs:
Bergkamp 5 (great move Wenger, caught us completely by surprise! :lol: )
Reyes 5
Eboue 6

qs

Established Member
Jens 7
Lauren 6
Kolo 7
Sol 6
Cygan 1
Freddie 5
Cesc 6
Gilberto 4
Pires 3
Henry 5
RvP 6

Subs:
Bergkamp 5
Reyes 6
Eboue 6

Lukazan

Established Member
Lehmann - 6 Made a few good stops.
Lauren - 5 Nothing too bad, nothing too great.
Toure - 4 Erratic..
Sol - 5 Drove forward but doesn't look a patch on the Sol of old...
Cygan - 2 He's just useless..
Ljungberg - 3 Although I believe he is abit rusty and will get better..
Pires - 4 I don't think he was as bad as everyone else thinks he was, but he was poor.
Gilberto 3 - Passing is woeful, looks heavy footed sometimes.
Fabregas - 6 Battled and passed well.
Henry - 6 Looked most likely to score and was unlucky not to. Did he do any of his usual sulking? I was distracted alot during the game but I didn't see any..
Persie - 5 Asajoseph is right, a player like van Persie cannot get in to a game when he isn't getting the correct service. Not his fault at all.

A

Anonymous

Wenger- 3

We knew what he was going to do, stuck in his ways

asajoseph

Established Member
Gilberto 3 - Passing is woeful, looks heavy footed sometimes.

I find Gilberto very confusing, I really do. You see, I really don't think he IS heavy footed - as I stated above, he can actually look very silky and languid at times. But his final ball just doesn't match the touches and turns that he can sometimes put in...

Lukazan

Established Member
Yeah, remember when he came on against Chelsea in the Charity Shield? Skinned both Joe Cole and Makelele with an awesome 360 like spin, and then minutes later megged Joe Cole! :D

He just seems to have massive lapses in cocentration, he makes passes that players intercept easily and you're left asking yourself what the hell goes through his head.

kel varnsen

Established Member
disagree

lehmann - 8
lauren - 6
sol - 3
toure - 4
cygan - 3
ljungberg - 1,5
gilberto - 2
cesc - 5
pires - 6
van persie - 4
henry 5

bergkamp - 3
reyes - 4
eboue - 5

Gurgen

Established Member
Van Persie 4? He didn't do anything wrong you know, the ball just hardly got to him.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Van Persie 4? He didn't do anything wrong you know, the ball just hardly got to him.

well, there is a dependency between the individual ratings. as a striker, van persie depends, more than others, on the rest of the team. it works both ways. so, van persie's rating depends not only on his own performance, but the rest of the team as well. sure, it is a good excuse, but when he is hardly involved for nearly 70 mins, he doesn't deserve more than a 4...

hleb

Established Member
LuKaZaN said:
Yeah, remember when he came on against Chelsea in the Charity Shield? Skinned both Joe Cole and Makelele with an awesome 360 like spin, and then minutes later megged Joe Cole! :D

He just seems to have massive lapses in cocentration, he makes passes that players intercept easily and you're left asking yourself what the hell goes through his head.

I remember that game as well. ****, he looked absolutely World class in that game. He seemed to enjoy the occassion. I seriously think our Gil isn't mentally though enough to make an impact in important games. He doesn't like being in the spotlight, but now that PV4 is going he has to step up. IMO don't think he will and AW will get a new DCM in the summer. Difficult decision because Gilberto is such a nice guy and done so much for the club. Taking tough decisions his AW job. He has shown his ruthless streak before, I'm banking him to do it again in the summer.

Sammer

Established Member
Pretty much agree with all your descriptions, asajoseph.

Well, except maybe for our wingers - I thought that both Freddie and LeBob deserved the same low rating (3).

Other than that: spot on :D

footballus_maximus

Jens 8
Lauren 6
Kolo 5
Sol 6
Cygan -10 :shock: , please go away, i'm prepared to pay your pension from now..
Freddie 2 - completly useless on the wing, cannot go past anyone!
Cesc 7 , uhhh, why was he taken off??
Gilberto 1 :shock: OMG.... he's been awful this season
Pires 6 , i saw the game, he didn't do much but he wasn't the worst player.
Henry 5
RvP 5

Viper

Established Member
Lehmann - 8 - Brilliant. Pulled off some excellent saves.

Lauren - 6 - Fine.
Toure - 6 - Made a mistake, but made some good tackles too.
Campbell - 6 - Okay-ish.
Cygan - 0 - Doesn't deserve a rating.

Ljungberg - 4 - Poor perfromance.
Fabregas - 6 - Needs to bulk up.
Gilberto - 3.5 - Cost us the second goal.
Pires - 3 - Gets lower than Gilberto because he didn't even go for the rebound.

Henry - 6.5 - Unluckly to hit the post twice.
Van Persie - 6 - Should've bollocked at the ref for disallowing the goal.

Wenger - 3 - 70 minute subs, and took of our better performers off the pitch.

BannedKwame

Bolton scored on a mistake by Gilberto and Faye outjumping Fabregas. Oustide that, Lehmann and the defense handled all their attacks. The defense was not poor. The problem was that there was no link between defense and attack. That is, our midfield was pathetic.

Ratings:

Lehmann: 9-- He did nothing wrong and pulled off three stunning saves

Lauren: 7-- Was untroubled defensively, and made to look worse by a subdued performance from Ljunberg

Toure: 6-- meh

Campbel: 6-- meh

Cygan: 4-- Very poor. Needs to understand he has no offensive skills whatsoever, and therefore the support he attempts to provide on the left is silly. He should stay home

Ljunberg: 4 ---- Still trying to convince myself he we was there

Cesc: 6--- Some neat touches, but this kid must bulk the **** up and stay away from our defensive box; he is a liability there

Gilberto: 3--- HA HA HA. The 'invisible shield' no more? Our 'most important' player no more? Yea, thought so, he is at Juve.

Pires: 6--- Our best attacking midfielder, which should be indicative of how bad we were. Acted like a little ***** on the rebound from Henry's shot. Little ****ing bastard. I'm giving him a 4

RvP: 6: Did nothing because he was denied space and the ball

Henry: 6: Two neat shots, and a priceless look of disgust directed at Pires for being a sissy. Speaking of which, Pires now gets a
0.5 rating for being a *****.

The subs were no better than the starters they replaced. People like Eboue and Reyes got more space and time on the ball because Bolton defended with 10 in the 2nd half. The subs were useless.

asajoseph

Established Member
Sammer said:
Pretty much agree with all your descriptions, asajoseph.

Well, except maybe for our wingers - I thought that both Freddie and LeBob deserved the same low rating (3).

Other than that: spot on :D

I gave Pires a slightly lower rating for 3 reasons:-

1 - His miss after Henry hit the post. It was embarassing... Good save by Jaskelainen (or however you spell it), but he showed no conviction or bottle whatsoever.

2 - I could see what Ljungberg was trying to do. It wasn't working, and it wasn't useful, but at least he was trying to attack. The inanity of what Pires was trying to do today (getting the ball on the wing, dribbling in a circle, and then passing it backwards, was frankly infuriating. Every time he got the ball, he looked incapable of doing anything remotely dangerous, and when he was set up on a plate he didn't have the cojones to do anything with it.

3 - I don't like his haircut.

Pires style of cutting inside is all well and good if he does something useful when he gets there. But if all he can do is pass backwards, he's giving the ball to a defender, and giving them one less option to pass to - with him being in the middle, he automatically removes any options on the left hand side of the field.

IBL

Established Member
I'm annoyed so dont take my ratings at face value:

Lehman: 9.5
Kolo: 5
Sol:4
Lauren: 5
Cygan: 1
Fabregas: 6
Gilberto: 1
Ljungberg: 1
Pires: 4