• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: West Brom. Albion vs Arsenal | 02/05/05

sabret00the

Established Member
kissmyface said:
Cool, but when Henry comes back?

I can understand him staying on when Henry isnt there, i guess. But I dont think reyes and Bergkamp can play together personally.
i'd agree, said it weeks ago, funny thing is, Dennis is becoming like henry in that sense, no strikers can play with him bar one.

Gurgen

Established Member
asa, you criticize Reyes for his bad running but the way West Brom played one player running really doesn't do anything. A lot of times you'd see Vieira on the ball, Reyes running, but no other midfielder running to make a gap for Vieira's pass to Reyes! This would leave Vieira or Gilberto for that matter with a forest of West Brom players in front of them. Not Reyes' fault, but pretty much a consequence of our lack of dynamic wingers. Pires didn't seem bothered and Cesc is not a winger and certainly not a player who runs off the ball. Add to that equasion that RvP likes the ball in his feet and you've got the worst positional play of the season.

Chips&CurrySauce

Those ratings in genral were so harsh.. WBA are fighting for their lives, they had 9 players behind the ball at all times and made it very difficult for us... Some people have to understand that you can't play vintage football every week... Chelsea have won the title by playing solidly at the back and taking their chances, ofcourse this isn't good enough for our supporters

I thought Lauren and Senderos were our best 2 players, Lauren made an amazing tackle on Clemence in the 2nd half and Senderos was just awesome...

I thought the midfield was poor in genreal.. Pires didn't look too fussed, Cesc had a poor game in my opinion, and Patrick was inconsisitent (some great moments and some carelss passing) Patrick however worked very hard..

I think you're definately too harsh on the strikers... Reyes set up RVP, with some great skill... Ok he had a great chance aswell but he provided a couple of excellent moments especially in the second half... One of the runs he went on was just amazing, he just needs to learn to shoot a bit earlier..

Yesterdau was a day for the strikers to create something out of nothing, because the midfield players, especially Cesc and Pires were very poor in my opinion... Edu really should have been brought on at half time, atleast he controls possession and doesn't give the ball away needlessly!

asajoseph

Established Member
asa, you criticize Reyes for his bad running but the way West Brom played one player running really doesn't do anything. A lot of times you'd see Vieira on the ball, Reyes running, but no other midfielder running to make a gap for Vieira's pass to Reyes! This would leave Vieira or Gilberto for that matter with a forest of West Brom players in front of them. Not Reyes' fault, but pretty much a consequence of our lack of dynamic wingers. Pires didn't seem bothered and Cesc is not a winger and certainly not a player who runs off the ball.

That's fair enough. I wouldn't necessarily limit it to running though - I don't always think he made himself available for passes. The ball got caught in midfield FAR too many times, players getting caught in possession, but also clearly having no outlets up front - too often the strikers were static when surrounded by players, or in wide positions when they should have been down the centre. Also, I don't think Reyes was the sole culprit here, and I agree with the your assessment of the way the midfield functioned. That said, my low rating of Reyes last night also reflects his wastefulness in front of goal, and the huge number of times he'd get caught in posession and give the ball away, particularly in the first half.

Gurgen

Established Member
You're right in saying that when he received the ball in midfield he lost it a few times, but he battled for it too and won it back 2-3 times in the first half. The same happened to Cesc in the second half tough, over an over again, outmuscled and outnumbered.

asajoseph

Established Member
Those ratings in genral were so harsh.. WBA are fighting for their lives, they had 9 players behind the ball at all times and made it very difficult for us... Some people have to understand that you can't play vintage football every week... Chelsea have won the title by playing solidly at the back and taking their chances, ofcourse this isn't good enough for our supporters

However you want to put it, the fact is, for much of the game last night we were utter crap. In the first half, WBA may have been sitting back, but this still doesn't excuse dribbling into oblivion, hoofing the ball over the top to a pair of weaker (physically) strikers, and being incredibly wasteful with our passing in midfield. Are my ratings supposed to suggest that the whole team played well, when in fact they clearly didn't? Last night was a poor performance that produced a good result. It's true, we don't play like superstars every single week, so why should I pretend we do by giving the whole team 9's?

I think you're definately too harsh on the strikers...

You say this, yet you then give the same assessment of Reyes performance that I did - wasteful with his chances, more dangerous in the second half, and a decent assist. The thing you ignore though, is the huge number of times he got caught in posession, or was given the ball wide, in a static position and faced with a defender. Almost every single time this happened, he tried to beat them one on one, and almost every single time he failed, gave the ball away, or at best won a throw in.

asajoseph

Established Member
Gurgen,

You're right in saying that when he received the ball in midfield he lost it a few times, but he battled for it too

You're right, and that's one of the things I like most about his game - even when he's not playing well, or makes mistakes, and even just in general play, he's fast, fit and committed enough to help out in defence and track back when he needs to

The same happened to Cesc in the second half tough, over an over again, outmuscled and outnumbered.

Indeed - like I said in my first post, I think he was tired. He's played a few games now, and deserves a rest. Perhaps start Edu on the left and Pires on the right against Liverpool?

wallstreetmate,

Was Kolo that bad?i dont think so.Do i sense bias in the forum?

I make no secret of not being Kolo Toure's biggest fan. I say over and over again that I don't think we'll win the Champions League with him in the team. But I don't think I, or anyone else, said that he was 'that bad'. As far as I'm concerned, 6 is an average rating, for a solid, but unspectacular performance. Indeed, I probably would have given him a 7 if he hadn't given the ball away in dangerous positions on so many occassions yesterday. His distribution, usually one of the stronger elements of his game, was very poor yesterday.

And yes, whilst I'm not Kolo Toure's biggest fan, I AM big enough to stand up and admit it when he plays well. Just like I've been doing over the last month or so.

Asa

flash

OK CHANGED A BIT FROM YESTERDAY- AND SORRY IT SOOO LONG!!!!!
Lehmann.- Only really had one save to make. So Long as It doesn't go in or to a
opposition players feet it'll do. Should be holding onto those though. like
Cech. Needs to work on Distribution. Better than Seaman’s, but those
floated passes to wide areas generally are set up 'hospital balls’ to their
recipients.
Catching was spot on today but never really tested. Gets the .5 for his save
and catching - 6.5

Lauren I've lost count of the amount of times I have read this phrase about him. "Never Shirks a Challenge"
Gera Huffed and Puffed but not much got passed Lauren.
A little reckless at times (Like going through the back of Gera) but I guess he likes to let you know he's there. Joined in the attacking playe whenever he could.
Showed he can play a bit when he pops up in unexpected areas like Midfield occasionally, but generally showed good positional discipline -6

Senderos. Just gets better and better. Showed a little bit of pace as well.
Very calm. Needs to stay patient as well instead of coming forward and
Playing the ball back to the opposition. Will come with experience though,
Very strong for 20. Good physique. Dominated Campbell, and then
Horsefield, who had to resort to fouling him after being out-muscled.
Deserves to keep his place on this display. 7.5

Kolo What is with the erratic passing? Sometimes this guy is a bit of an enigma. Example: He has all of the physical attributes even though sometimes he lacks a few inches for a CB he makes the headers.
Then he gets caught out of position, but makes a big slide in to put the player off.
Appears composed, but then sometimes seems very rash and unorthodox. Pace to burn not worried about that. Made numerous blocks and interceptions.
If the erratic errors are cut out he should be solid enough. Did well despite some poor distribution at times. 6.5

Cole Always gets forward. I would like to see if he can actually shield the ball and Shepard it out sometimes. I know he's quite small but surely this is an area that can be developed, rather than diving over the ball (regardless if he's pushed) or giving away needless corners.
Apart from that solid enough whilst being dynamic at the same time. Good lungs. 6.5

Vieria Well As you all have said hot and cold. Some Really poor distribution at times, but then some equally good (as it was poor if you know what I mean(!))
passing. Holds the ball up extremely well using his massive frame, ball juggling, and close control. Can even retain his possession of the ball without touching the ball. Like just stepping over it. He was everywhere, and as someone said must be the most passed to player on our team. Started poorly but then showed why he's a senior player and captain. Involved in the goal & Good game of tennis with Edu in the second half also good nutmeg on the way to setting up the goal.. Was pissing myself laughing at those two incidents. 7

Gilberto OKAY. Not one of his better games, but the same can be said FOR THE WHOLE TEAM. I don't really know why everyone slates him. I can see why he is so underrated and when he’s out of the team its obvious what we are lacking.
Yet when he's in the team it outstands me to see why no-once can see his contribution.
You don’t have to go sliding in at 90mph and barge someone 10 feet off the ball to be seen as a ball winner IMO.
This Guy soes all of the UGLY THINGS in football to earn us the right to PLAY FOOTBALL. Blocking, tracking, shadowing, jockeying, linking play, covering for absent defenders, dropping back, interceptions, 2nd ball winning, heading
SO how CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS?
I tell you why. At Arsenal we are spoilt for watching a beautiful spectacle. So if someone does not make a beautiful sliding challenge or clean interception we tend not to notice it. Well I did especially when the ball struck him on the back for a vital block. Sure he misplaces passes. Sometime they are really embarrassing, but I'd be interested looking at his pass rate stats.
He links play well. Would be one of the first names down on my team-sheet. Looked ugly at times but he earns us the right to play. 6.5

Pires. Not one of his best games. Did not really look like a senior player out there. But Bobby always has a trick up his sleeve. And on occasions linked the play well, and also popped up on the right hand side to ensure Albion were on the back foot.
Not a great game penetrative-wise but otherwise did just enough.
Did not really look interested which was a complete contrast to his performance against Chelski which looked as though he had a point to prove -6.

Fabregas Tried hard. Tracked back to dispossess Gera on more than one occasion. Looks to be getting physically stronger against Gera (a bigger opponent) and was harshly penalised for what was a great shrug off of Gera. Also joined in, in the middle whenever he could. Needs to build up his Quadriceps for more powerful shooting. Did well but Faded which is only to be expected.
Also not his natural position but just got on with it and showed a great attitude.
Would like to see Him demand the ball a bit more, but I can understand it may not have been possible because of being stuck out on the right. -6

Van Persie -Didn't really have much service in the first half, and was anonymous. BUT it was not his fault as we looked very lacklustre and disinterested. But when he did get a touch of the ball he generally did quite well.
Shows great attitude and promise, and took his chance superbly so for that he gets a higher mark -7.

Reyes Yes he should have scored at least one. Yes he got pushed off a few times.
Looks like he infuriated Cole and often Henry BUT he adds dynamism and
audacity to our game.
He earned the right to have a shot at goal after beating all those players,
BUT JOSE you need to SCORE if you ignore players in a better position - that
justifies the greediness!
Needs to use his right foot a bit more he can as he showed us against
Middlesborough. .
Arguably could have won a penalty. Is it really legal to push someone with
your hands to the ground in the penalty area?
Even when he's not playing well this boy can hardly be faulted for the sheer
effort he puts in. He really does Work hard. How many times did he put Hoult
under pressure? Great attitude.
He was always dangerous. Good ball control and skill. Looks to be a star in the
making. Set up the opening goal after some great skill. If he got the two goals
would have been pushing Senderos for man-of-the match. 7

Edu Played really well when he came on. Showed why he is a senior player.
Deserves more starts and to be offered a better contract.
Took his goal really well. Neat game of head tennis with Patrick, which had
me pissing myself with laughter.
Gets a higher mark for his goal and calming effect. Must have Had a secret pact
with Bergkamp to score amongst themselves when they came on! 6.5

Bergkamp Showed his experience. Out-fought on a one occasion by some hungry,
desperate West brom defenders but great set up pass. Not getting over-
excited by this setup as it was only West Brom and they were pushing
forward at that stage. Like Edu has a calming effect on our team, and
showed why he’s a senior player, if not a starter. Must have had secret
pact with Edu! Gets an extra .5 for the setup. 6.5

flash

OK CHANGED A BIT FROM YESTERDAY- AND SORRY IT SOOO LONG!!!!!
Lehmann.- Only really had one save to make. So Long as It doesn't go in or to a
opposition players feet it'll do. Should be holding onto those though. like
Cech. Needs to work on Distribution. Better than Seaman’s, but those
floated passes to wide areas generally are set up 'hospital balls’ to their
recipients.
Catching was spot on today but never really tested. Gets the .5 for his save
and catching - 6.5

Lauren I've lost count of the amount of times I have read this phrase about him. "Never Shirks a Challenge"
Gera Huffed and Puffed but not much got passed Lauren.
A little reckless at times (Like going through the back of Gera) but I guess he likes to let you know he's there. Joined in the attacking playe whenever he could.
Showed he can play a bit when he pops up in unexpected areas like Midfield occasionally, but generally showed good positional discipline -6

Senderos. Just gets better and better. Showed a little bit of pace as well.
Very calm. Needs to stay patient as well instead of coming forward and
Playing the ball back to the opposition. Will come with experience though,
Very strong for 20. Good physique. Dominated Campbell, and then
Horsefield, who had to resort to fouling him after being out-muscled.
Deserves to keep his place on this display. 7.5

Kolo What is with the erratic passing? Sometimes this guy is a bit of an enigma. Example: He has all of the physical attributes even though sometimes he lacks a few inches for a CB he makes the headers.
Then he gets caught out of position, but makes a big slide in to put the player off.
Appears composed, but then sometimes seems very rash and unorthodox. Pace to burn not worried about that. Made numerous blocks and interceptions.
If the erratic errors are cut out he should be solid enough. Did well despite some poor distribution at times. 6.5

Cole Always gets forward. I would like to see if he can actually shield the ball and Shepard it out sometimes. I know he's quite small but surely this is an area that can be developed, rather than diving over the ball (regardless if he's pushed) or giving away needless corners.
Apart from that solid enough whilst being dynamic at the same time. Good lungs. 6.5

Vieria Well As you all have said hot and cold. Some Really poor distribution at times, but then some equally good (as it was poor if you know what I mean(!))
passing. Holds the ball up extremely well using his massive frame, ball juggling, and close control. Can even retain his possession of the ball without touching the ball. Like just stepping over it. He was everywhere, and as someone said must be the most passed to player on our team. Started poorly but then showed why he's a senior player and captain. Involved in the goal & Good game of tennis with Edu in the second half also good nutmeg on the way to setting up the goal.. Was pissing myself laughing at those two incidents. 7

Gilberto OKAY. Not one of his better games, but the same can be said FOR THE WHOLE TEAM. I don't really know why everyone slates him. I can see why he is so underrated and when he’s out of the team its obvious what we are lacking.
Yet when he's in the team it outstands me to see why no-once can see his contribution.
You don’t have to go sliding in at 90mph and barge someone 10 feet off the ball to be seen as a ball winner IMO.
This Guy soes all of the UGLY THINGS in football to earn us the right to PLAY FOOTBALL. Blocking, tracking, shadowing, jockeying, linking play, covering for absent defenders, dropping back, interceptions, 2nd ball winning, heading
SO how CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS?
I tell you why. At Arsenal we are spoilt for watching a beautiful spectacle. So if someone does not make a beautiful sliding challenge or clean interception we tend not to notice it. Well I did especially when the ball struck him on the back for a vital block. Sure he misplaces passes. Sometime they are really embarrassing, but I'd be interested looking at his pass rate stats.
He links play well. Would be one of the first names down on my team-sheet. Looked ugly at times but he earns us the right to play. 6.5

Pires. Not one of his best games. Did not really look like a senior player out there. But Bobby always has a trick up his sleeve. And on occasions linked the play well, and also popped up on the right hand side to ensure Albion were on the back foot.
Not a great game penetrative-wise but otherwise did just enough.
Did not really look interested which was a complete contrast to his performance against Chelski which looked as though he had a point to prove -6.

Fabregas Tried hard. Tracked back to dispossess Gera on more than one occasion. Looks to be getting physically stronger against Gera (a bigger opponent) and was harshly penalised for what was a great shrug off of Gera. Also joined in, in the middle whenever he could. Needs to build up his Quadriceps for more powerful shooting. Did well but Faded which is only to be expected.
Also not his natural position but just got on with it and showed a great attitude.
Would like to see Him demand the ball a bit more, but I can understand it may not have been possible because of being stuck out on the right. -6

Van Persie -Didn't really have much service in the first half, and was anonymous. BUT it was not his fault as we looked very lacklustre and disinterested. But when he did get a touch of the ball he generally did quite well.
Shows great attitude and promise, and took his chance superbly so for that he gets a higher mark -7.

Reyes Yes he should have scored at least one. Yes he got pushed off a few times.
Looks like he infuriated Cole and often Henry BUT he adds dynamism and
audacity to our game.
He earned the right to have a shot at goal after beating all those players,
BUT JOSE you need to SCORE if you ignore players in a better position - that
justifies the greediness!
Needs to use his right foot a bit more he can as he showed us against
Middlesborough. .
Arguably could have won a penalty. Is it really legal to push someone with
your hands to the ground in the penalty area?
Even when he's not playing well this boy can hardly be faulted for the sheer
effort he puts in. He really does Work hard. How many times did he put Hoult
under pressure? Great attitude.
He was always dangerous. Good ball control and skill. Looks to be a star in the
making. Set up the opening goal after some great skill. If he got the two goals
would have been pushing Senderos for man-of-the match. 7

Edu Played really well when he came on. Showed why he is a senior player.
Deserves more starts and to be offered a better contract.
Took his goal really well. Neat game of head tennis with Patrick, which had
me pissing myself with laughter.
Gets a higher mark for his goal and calming effect. Must have Had a secret pact
with Bergkamp to score amongst themselves when they came on! 6.5

Bergkamp Showed his experience. Out-fought on a one occasion by some hungry,
desperate West brom defenders but great set up pass. Not getting over-
excited by this setup as it was only West Brom and they were pushing
forward at that stage. Like Edu has a calming effect on our team, and
showed why he’s a senior player, if not a starter. Must have had secret
pact with Edu! Gets an extra .5 for the setup. 6.5

Top Bottom