<

Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by aevi, Aug 9, 2018.

?

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

1. 1st

3.7%
  2. 2nd

3.7%
  3. 3rd

25.7%
  4. 4th

34.6%
  5. 5th/6th

31.3%
  6. 7th or lower

0.9%
  1. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Fixture list update means Sp**s are going away to Anfield on the 31st before they have their stadium opener on the 3rd vs Palace.

Massive potential for them to drop big points in those two games. Palace are a different animal away from home and they still need a result or two to guarantee safety.

albakos likes this.
  2. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Please God let them drop 3 points to Palace at their opener

ItWasMeBarry, Jae, krengon and 2 others like this.
  3. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

If they get turned over at Anfield I see them being too demoralized & exhausted to beat Palace. Couple that with a period to get acclimatized to their nee surroundings in addition to Palace's better away form & you have a decent chance of an upset.

A stellar performance + a goal from future Arsenal RB, Aaron Wan-Bissaka to be the highlight.

OSBK and Mark Tobias like this.
  4. Mark Tobias

Problem is, Liverpool are trying very hard to toss this league fight out the window. They've been hugely lucky recently.

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  5. Sapient Hawk

True but they're a different animal at Anfield & Pochettino's cowardice away from home against the other top 5 is legendary. Liverpool will be comprehensive , if not emphatic, winners.

We simply must do the job against a resurgent Newcastle who're desperately trying to avoid relegation.

Win this + Sp*rs loss & we go above them where I believe we shall till the end of the season.

Mo Britain and Mark Tobias like this.
  6. Mark Tobias

I have a good friend who is a NCU fan. We simply must win this. Football is all about bragging rights. We need them over Sp**s and I personally need them over my mate;)

Jae, RacingPhoton and Sapient Hawk like this.
  7. Sapient Hawk

It's all about bragging rights & the stakes have never been higher :lol:

I hope this does not end up like that 3-3 draw with Norwich back in 2012 with that sucker punch 5 minutes from the end.

8. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

Are there any good ladder predictor tools around?

9. lamby22

lamby22 It's Not Lupus

albakos likes this.
  10. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

The Wolves game has been scheduled for the 24th, so after Newcastle we’ve got Everton(A), Watford(A), Palace(H), Wolves(A), Leicester(A).

11. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

That's a rough run of games. This isn't going to be easy at all.

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  12. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Well-Known Member

They definitely aren't easy games but I'll take our run in over any other top 6 teams fixtures

13. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Drunka In Friend Zone

Just one home game and that's against Palace who are much better away from home.Not easy fixtures,i hope for 3 away wins.Should be enough.

14. lamby22

lamby22 It's Not Lupus

Can see us dropping points at Wolves and Leicester (a defeat and a draw). I still have us finishing 3rd though.

15. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

6 games in 19 days is brutal.

The League are gimps as usual, game’s nowhere near Wolves cup semi final so unlikely they’re resting anyone.

squallman and say yes like this.
  16. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

17. jus2nang

jus2nang Active Member

The rule is that only the Europa League can provide an extra Champions League place if the winner finishes outside the top 4.

If the CL winner finishes outside the top 4, the place they win comes from the league's original allocation.

So in summary, the CL winner would take the 4th team's spot, but the Europa League winner would get a new spot (if they finished outside the top 4).

So as long as Man Utd and Sp**s get knocked out we're ok.

18. jus2nang

jus2nang Active Member

Because 6th place then becomes the last Europa spot. In recent years this has been 7th, since the FA Cup winners have been the likes of us, Man Utd etc.

The last Europa spot goes through qualifiers (like Burnley had to this season or Everton and Southampton in seasons before that).

19. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Well-Known Member

8 games in 28 days is going to be tough, if we beat Napoli our semi final 1st leg would be 3 days after that and then Brighton 3 days after that making 10 games in 34 days which is brutal.

Emery really needs to earn his salt and get the rotation spot on.

Jae and Mark Tobias like this.
  20. GoonerDKcph

GoonerDKcph Member

Watford away is never good. Would actually give up the EL just to secure 4th spot.