• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: The race for Europe

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I'm 30.

So your saying Gallas and a 35 year old Laurent Blanc were better than Van Dijk

Mcmanaman and Veron one of the biggest flops in England were better than KDB

Leighton Baines a mediocre footballer with a decent left foot is better than TAA

Does anybody else agree with this? I dont know from which planet your watching your football from but it certainly isnt earth.

Why are you comparing the best now, to not the best back then?

LIike me saying, this league is so poor now...once you had Ferdinand, now you have Jonny Evans.

To prove how strong each league is, compare teams that finished in there respective positions, that's the fair way do to it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Why are you comparing the best now, to not the best back then?

LIike me saying, this league is so poor now...once you had Ferdinand, now you have Jonny Evans.

To prove how strong each league is, compare teams that finished in there respective positions, that's the fair way do to it.

I didnt compared those players. The person above me did. Go and read it before spouting your nonsense.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's crazy that top four is figuratively a trophy. You have players tweeting 'Champions League' and former players and pundits congratulating clubs.

Where do people sit on Wenger getting laughed at for saying top 4 is a trophy?

I think Wenger had it relatively easy back then, chelsea and united were european heavyweights, Liverpool were basically where we are not and City didn't exist. What Wenger deserves credit for is the consistency in maintaining dominance over the smaller teams despite selling his best players.

I do think that it's a lot harder to get in the top four. Liverpool have woken up, Chelsea exist and United have finally started to recover from Fergie. Sp**s are being led by a generational striker and Poch basically did a mini-Wenger for them in terms of elevating them. Wolves are backed by billionaire owners and are spending wisely.

I think that's why top four is viewed as a trophy now. Unless you're up there with the best in Europe (City and Pool) you have to be very good in this league to pick off teams outside of the top 4 with ease. You could argue that every game against the top 10 away from home is a big one these days.

you also have the audacity to list mediocre full backs when Cole, Sagna, Baines, evra, would wipe the floor with TAA. He’s not even better than Gareth Bale when he played LB for them lot.

You have much to figure out.

By way of example, Ashley Cole has seven more goal involvements (goals and assists) than TAA. That’s in Cole’s entire career. TAA is 21.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
By way of example, Ashley Cole has seven more goal involvements (goals and assists) than TAA. That’s in Cole’s entire career. TAA is 21.
The lionization of players of that era is just tacit defense of the Invincibles. We’ve never seen a player like TAA at fullback, though Cole and Evra were perhaps more defensively solid in their primes. Baines and Sagna were good players but not in the same stratosphere.

And Veron > KDB is just a pisstake.

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Where do people sit on Wenger getting laughed at for saying top 4 is a trophy?
It's a huge kick in the teeth that the media recognise its an achievement now - we were heavily mocked for this throughout our early Emirates years.

I think its way different getting into it now though - top 4 when we used to walk it is a much different proposition nowadays. We would fully throw seasons away and go on a crazy run from Spring to Summer and sneak in. Nowadays it seems the entire top half the table is within a realistic shout.

It is what it is, CL or no CL I don't feel like the fans genuinely benefit from it because of our owners. Unless you're able to go to them live of course. Even then, imagine travelling to watch us get spanked 5-1 on aggregate and be reminded that we shouldn't really be in there anyways.

Its a weird one. Good question though.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Not only forwards, top end talent was better almost everywhere imo.... Look at Cb's for example, now you have Van Dijk then what? Back then you had Rio, Campbell, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho etc who were all among the best in the world.

I look at us play and I see poor quality and bad technical ability, the level we are playing at is not very high, same for the others except the top 2.. These last 2 years City and Liverpool has emerged as genuinely great teams that deserves to be placed among the best though.

Tbf to current centrebacks they play a high line far more. Chelsea and Utd were very defensive sit deep teams, remember what happened when AVB played a high line at Chelsea, Terry was completely lost. Even Campbell played in a more defensive setup. Its hard to gauge the centrebacks and defences but I think the midfield nowadays are far better than before, and you can see the amount of talent developing there and being brought in as some players age out.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
The game has changed in the sense that in the 4 4 2 days you had more strikers on show. Whereas now theres a lot more winger/wide forward players. Not your typical number 9.

So while now there may be less quality number 9s theres a lot of wide forward. Salah, Mane, Rashford etc.

Maybe but I think any of the players I picked up out would demolish defences right now with high lines etc. Drogba in particular was able to play completely by himself and cause serious damage. Torres played quite a few games as well lone striker before he built a partnership with Gerrard. Ronaldo could aply across the front 3 and has done. Van Persie played in a front 3 and was amazingm not only for finishing but bringing other players in to the game.

Edit: maybe theres a lot more wingplay because the strikers in general aren't good enough right now.

Kav

Established Member
Are you truly insinuating that the measure of a defender is in the amount of goals he scores or assists he makes?

I'm so happy that you are not a coach, clueless.

Do you even watch the overall play of each player. Cole was in a league of his own as a defender and he contributed to his teams offensive output as well. I am aware that the modern game utilizes fullbacks in a more attacking role, this does not diminish the contributions of past fullbacks. You young clueless supporters need to stop stat worshiping and use the eye test.

Kav

Established Member
Really, I mean really. Prime Nasri, FFS!
Yes indeed for about 2 years Nasri in his prime was at the same level as KDB. KDB is more consistent and has a better passing range and i'd give him the edge over nasri, but nasri produced magic and won us games.

For those talking crap about Veron, Veron at his best is on the same level as KDB, sure he did not always display that consistently at Man U but when he did show up he was brilliant.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I'm 30.

So your saying Gallas and a 35 year old Laurent Blanc were better than Van Dijk

Mcmanaman and Veron one of the biggest flops in England were better than KDB

Leighton Baines a mediocre footballer with a decent left foot is better than TAA

Does anybody else agree with this? I dont know from which planet your watching your football from but it certainly isnt earth.
Mcmanaman is basically a god in madrid. They love him.

roz

Fake News Merchant
sport-graphics-2005_721942a.jpg
Sigurdsson is a god in Iceland. Doesnt mean hes world class.
Real Madrid signed him which is usually a pretty good indicator of a players level.

They get it wrong occasionally though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom