• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League: Sunderland vs Arsenal Saturday 25th 15.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Professeur

Established Member
Re: Premier League: Sunderland vs Arsenal Saturday 25th 15.0

redanddread said:
I've not seen such a dismal attacking performance from an Arsenal team in ages.

Didn't see the Anderlecht game then?

entropy13

Established Member

Wait, so the very same people that crucify Wenger for the past 10 years in terms of performance can actually only remember performances from the last five days? :lol:

If you put it in another way (i.e. they remember the past well), they claim to have seen the "most abysmal attacking performance I've seen in ages" multiple times, therefore undermining their own "reliability" in terms of seeing the abysmal. Then if you put it in another way (again), it becomes over-the-top hyperbole, in excess. :lol:

Then in another interpretation, i.e. no hyperbole, then there really are all the same level of "abysmal attacking performances" in multiple instances. Yet this game was won; earlier, similar matches were drawn, or even lost. And in a "so far this season" look, this wasn't even the worst in the past decade either. :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Iceman10 said:
celestis said:
DontPushMe said:
Sanchez won't be here long at this rate.

Quite the opposite , he'll be here for awhile .

Sometimes it feels as if this place should be able to attract good ad banner revenues for anti-depressant pills :lol:

Times have changed and Sanchez is at his peak. If we're floundering in 4th or worst at the end of the season, he'll probably tell himself it's next season or bust. If we don't get CL football, I reckon he'll be off. They don't **** around these days. As I said, times have changed.

DontPushMe

Obviously this team isn't as bad as the one 2 years ago. How that team finished 4th still amazes me. Completely void of top quality with cazorla the maestro.

We've built a more skillful squad in the past 2 years but are still deficient in key areas and haven't improved enough to make up the gap between us Chelsea and city

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Well what about the one that put 5 past Chelsea ? One quality striker makes a big difference .

Iceman10

Established Member

The Jury said:
Times have changed and Sanchez is at his peak. If we're floundering in 4th or worst at the end of the season, he'll probably tell himself it's next season or bust. If we don't get CL football, I reckon he'll be off. They don't **** around these days. As I said, times have changed.

Too many hypotheticals at this point for me, of course we're unlikely to win the PL this season (have always said 3rd will be ok for me, progressing to co-favourites for next season after another summer transfer window) but beyond that it's still difficult to tell where we will end up. Bar United (at home) we don't have a bad fixture list over the next few weeks and even though we've had a slow start other teams outside Chelsea have dropped points also; we are three points behind City, and Southampton & West Ham are the other two teams ahead of us. This is before the United vs. Chelsea game today of course.

Towards the end of November / early December we should have a better idea based on whether we grab most of the points available and start gaining some momentum, or not, along with seeing how Theo blends back into the team. Often runs start with a few scrappy wins and slowly confidence builds, so we'll just have to see if we are at the beginning of such a run or whether such a run fails to come to fruition. I don't see the reason for one to think they are going on anything more than just a number of hypotheticals seeing the glass half empty (or half full) re. where we finish at the end of this season and what next season will be like at this point. Not productive IMO when the spread of possible outcomes at this point remains quite wide.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Just seen the highlights Sanchez is an absolute beast we can say all day about Sunderland mistakes but his pressing forced the mistakes and for the first one composure was required to finish that chance as he had so long to think about it.

We are still in the mix we are eight points off the top leads like that have been overcome in April and May it can most certainly be overcome in the months remaining.

Today was first and foremost about results and building momentum. Burnley Swansea and United are our next three games we need 7 out of 9 as a minimum.

fabo

6.51 / 10

We're well in the mix for Top 4 alright, not a hope of the title.

Good win anyway. Performances after an away CL match don't matter too much, though we are clearly struggling in almost every match this season. Massive underperforming by most, including Wenger.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

GunnerBP said:
This game was boring, we didn't play well, and we scored from two garbage goals, but I'm pleased because this is the most solid defensively we have looked all season.

Last season I would not have been pleased with today's performance because Arteta and Flamini do not offer enough going forward and that was evident today. However, today we had a shutout and we nearly started taking shutouts for granted last season.

I hope that we start seeing a bit more of the 4-2-3-1 going forward with Ramsey instead of Arteta or Flamini.

Today we got a shutout, and that is a big deal for this season.

I agree the game was boring but Garbage goals? They were scored due to the persistence of Alexis, he pushes constantly and forces the error, no way is that garbage.

I do agree the shut out is very important, especially away and after only 2 and a half days break!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Le Professeur said:
redanddread said:
I've not seen such a dismal attacking performance from an Arsenal team in ages.

Didn't see the Anderlecht game then?

Completely agree, the Anderlecht game was the worst for years, way below yesterday's performance!

fabo

6.51 / 10

Would like to see Wenger give games to a few different players. Ox hasn't taken his chances, best suited to a bench role at this point. Podolski and Campbell must be pretty annoyed at this stage.

Ramsey has also been very poor but you'd hope he can turn it around soon.

Sanchez has been fantastic, well on course for 20 goals if his fitness holds(will be a surprise).

You look around the team, and there's just so many people underperforming. Not good enough from Wenger or the players so far.

stiiphunn

Established Member

Yeah I agree. It's time to drop OX - he's been awfully mediocre. I can't think of anything positive he's done tbh. I'm not the biggest fan of Poldi either - I think he's better suited as an impact player when we need goals in the last 15 min of the game. I think it's maybe time to give Campbell a proper chance - I'm not entirely convinced by him but I don't think he can do any worse than OX...

Our midfielders also need to start performing. I really hope Ramsey and Santi can get back to their level. As for Wilshere I think he should stay on the bench these days - I fail to see what he brings to our team.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

stiiphunn said:
Our midfielders also need to start performing. I really hope Ramsey and Santi can get back to their level. As for Wilshere I think he should stay on the bench these days - I fail to see what he brings to our team.

None of these three have been great this season yet it's Jack who gets the stick, bit harsh don't you think? Cazorla has declined every season his been here. Wilshere might not be preforming but when he does he certainly adds something with his drive, done alot more for us than Cazorla has this season.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

stiiphunn said:
Yeah I agree. It's time to drop OX - he's been awfully mediocre. I can't think of anything positive he's done tbh. I'm not the biggest fan of Poldi either - I think he's better suited as an impact player when we need goals in the last 15 min of the game. I think it's maybe time to give Campbell a proper chance - I'm not entirely convinced by him but I don't think he can do any worse than OX...

I agree with it all apart from Wilshere. I think after Alexis he has been our best player so far. Yes he's made some errors but generally he has been good. Maybe I'm just biased as I have always supported him!

stiiphunn

Established Member

Penn_ said:
stiiphunn said:

None of these three have been great this season yet it's Jack who gets the stick, bit harsh don't you think? Cazorla has declined every season his been here. Wilshere might not be preforming but when he does he certainly adds something with his drive, done alot more for us than Cazorla has this season.
Maybe it's a bit harsh. But Ramsey proved last season that he could be an important player for us. Santi also proved in the past that he could get goals, and make the team tick - and honestly, he's a much more accomplished player than Wilshere. What has the latter proven? Not much so far - sure he's got potential, but his game is still very, very flawed. More importantly, he's simply not good enough around the box - he doesn't spot the right passes and tends to dribble his way into players.

halfvolley

The image that sticks with me most of all from this game is the confused ineptitude on display when countering in the second half. It was horrifying. The Sunderland defence and midfield looked had no answer to it and we still only managed to bring the ball to the 18yd line and choke on it.

Everyone gets a mild panic attack when crossing that boundary, everyone except Alexis Sanchez that is. What is the problem? Don't we practice this in training at all? It's like these people have never played football together in their lives at times.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Mertesacker did question our attitude in training only for Wenger to dismiss it.

We are making progress two wins on the bounce one clean sheet we are slowly turning the corner, Ramsey has came back Arteta is back Koscielny will hopefully soon be back Walcott is back Debuchey shouldn't be too far off three or four weeks Giroud also.

We are very short we have players who haven't found form but when they do we are in a strong position. There is a great mentality in the team inject q bit of confidence and form and we will be dangerous. Chelsea, whom everyone expects will walk away with the league, are the only team to beat us this season and it was at Stamford Bridge. Time to focus on positives rather than rejuratiting the negatives over and over again

musicmonkey

Established Member

Jenkinson's loan is looking a bit of a poor decision now if the boss isn't happy playing Bellerin. We really need Chambers in the middle and it seems Wenger is concerned by a lack of height/physicality and experience with Bellerin which are boxes better ticked by Jenkinson.

Maybe Gibbs' injury will force his hand a bit and we'll see Chambers inside.

I agree with your post bingobob, it is time to look at a few positives. I think we've all got to be prepared to hunker down until a few players start returning like Debuchy, Giroud (who might have been useful against Sunderland), Kos and a fully match fit and firing Theo.

With how out of form some players are and how no one can stay fit we've just got to keep grinding out results and get to January. People might whine about how boring we are etc. but you've got to consider to the turbulence with injuries and how out of form some players are we really just need to keep ticking over with 3 points a game.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Nah Jenkinson needs a regular run of games and if it wasn't for this Debuchy injury then there's no chance he would have got enough games.

I saw no problem with Chambers at RB yesterday.

GOONER1991

Established Member

Very classy from Arteta to put his arm around Mannone at the final whistle. Guy looked devastated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom