• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premiership 09/10- Our race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnwinter

Established Member
:? This discussion is off beam. Bendtner's the least of our worries and if he deserves criticism it should be of the most constructive type possible.

At least Bendtner does what it says on the box. I doubt even he expects to be top dog next season and if he does, all the better. We need some players who are known quantities.

In terms of perception he has been the victim of his own untimely promotion. If he'd scored five goals off the bench in the last six months we'd be hailing his contribution.

ibby

Established Member
Quicker than Walcott said:
I can't stand this argument. It's not 2003 anymore. The modern day striker is about so much more than scoring goals. He has to make the attack function, especially in a team like ours that does not have any 'individuals' capable of beating 4 players and scoring a screamer.
I don't get this. You say Bendtner offers nothing except goals as a striker yet you wouldn't mind him starting as a "wing-forward"?

Personally, I think Bendtner's just fine and has been one of our pluses this season.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Nah, on the wing Bendtner would have the game in front of him which is what suits him. When he has time to get the ball under control and fully assess all his options he is a very good player. He has a good brain and is capable of playing creative passes. Also he's quite good at running with the ball from deep, not to mention he is powerful and it's a no-contest against most fullbacks.

ibby

Established Member
Nah, on the wing Bendtner would have the game in front of him which is what suits him. When he has time to get the ball under control and fully assess all his options he is a very good player. He has a good brain and is capable of playing creative passes. Also he's quite good at running with the ball from deep, not to mention he is powerful and it's a no-contest against most fullbacks.
My point is that the same flaws you labelled towards him (see below) would be exposed perhaps even more so if he's playing as a winger.

I don't want Bendtner even considered as our centre forward next season, even as 2nd choice. Touch isn't good enough to play back-to-goal and he doesn't press enough. I would, however, make him first-choice right wing forward - if we don't sign one in the summer.

Van Persie is obviously our first choice as a striker but as a second choice, Bendtner is superb.

Muharraqawi

Why not play him in the midfield then??? :roll:

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Bendtner is just a bit 'blunt' to be up front, for me. He likes being deeper with the game in front of him. In the middle he has two defenders up his arse at all times, magnifying his often poor touch. On the right of RvP (and in this 4-3-3 the wing forwards should be close to him) they can link up and RvP can slide Nicklas in on goal. This would work because Bendtner is a forward who wants to and can score goals, but because he's also good in team play, as well as being physically impressive, he'd do very well for us in this position. Just see how he did in the opening few games of this season.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Muharraqawi said:

Why not play him in the midfield then??? :roll:
" :roll: :roll: :roll: "

Read what I just posted.

ibby

Established Member
Bendtner is just a bit 'blunt' to be up front, for me. He likes being deeper with the game in front of him. In the middle he has two defenders up his arse at all times, magnifying his often poor touch. On the right of RvP (and in this 4-3-3 the wing forwards should be close to him) they can link up and RvP can slide Nicklas in on goal. This would work because Bendtner is a forward who wants to and can score goals, but because he's also good in team play, as well as being physically impressive, he'd do very well for us in this position. Just see how he did in the opening few games of this season.
Since his return against Aston Villa he's scored 10 goals and made 5 assists though. Frankly, I don't see how you can classify Bendtner as blunt, those stats show he's anything but. Also remember, for a large majority of them games Fabregas didn't play.

Sure he's not the most aesthetically pleasing of players but it's clear as day our attacking play moves up a notch or two when he's playing and fully fit.

Remember, this is a guy that caused what was at the time the best partnership in Europe (Vidic and Rio) all sorts of problems last season. As a second choice striker, I really don't get all the criticism he gets.

AshburtonGhost

I’m not his biggest fan but at least Bendtner could be relied upon to do the job that none of our other strikers proved capable of doing. He’s the least of our worries at the moment.

Emma Lusa

Bendtner does a good job playing in the premier league against good sides, my 'off-beat' view is that he will be our number two striker with RvP in front of Chamakah before next season ends.

The argument about strikers is in the end a side issue, we do score enough goals we just concede to many. Remember since RvP's return against the Spuds we've achieved just 1 point in 4 matches.

Bendtner brings far more to the defensive side of our game than he gets credit for, more in fact than RvP and probably more than Chamakah, who is not a renowned for his workrate. He has a decent physical presence and is good in the air, if he can stay fit and progress he may well become a fixture in the starting line up.

AliBabaBrewer

Oh no, we have a 2nd choice striker who, when returning from injury, manages to get in great goal scoring form and keep us in the title race, when by all accounts, we should've been long out of it.

Excuse me whilst I cry my way to the goalkeeping and 'Oh f**k, if Gallas goes, we have one regularly fit, good centre half under the age of 35' threads.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I'm not taking anything away from what Bendtner has done. I'm saying he's not a centre forward in this formation but rather a wide forward.

Viking

Playing Bendtner as a winger makes little sense. He can do a job there, but his true position is as a striker. His touch isn't as poor as people make it seem, and you're completely neglecting the benefits of his size and power when playing up front. On the wing he's more or less incapable of going past the fullback, and he should be the one on the end of the crosses, not the one delivering them. In short, your argument isn't coherent.

brady_style

I'm not taking anything away from what Bendtner has done. I'm saying he's not a centre forward in this formation but rather a wide forward.

I've read your previous post as well ...

I think Bendtner and RVP playing up front together is a decent idea but surely you realise that in a 4-3-3 formation the wide men are meant to be wingers / forwards.

Bendy playing wide is a horrendous idea ... akin to getting it on with Maggie Thatcher.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Viking said:

Playing Bendtner as a winger makes little sense. He can do a job there, but his true position is as a striker. His touch isn't as poor as people make it seem, and you're completely neglecting the benefits of his size and power when playing up front. On the wing he's more or less incapable of going past the fullback, and he should be the one on the end of the crosses, not the one delivering them. In short, your argument isn't coherent.
Watch the first few games of the season again to see why it worked so well. By the way, we should NOT aspire to use crossing as a regular way of attack. It just isn't Arsenal.

brady_style

How many of Barca's goals come from crosses ?

Answer ... LOADS of them.

The invincibles scored countless balls from over-lapping full-backs crossing the ball low along the ground for strikers to finish.

Bendtner played a few games for us out wide .. he never looked comfortable out there.

You need to give up this hobby horse of yours. You're not really advancing any coherent arguments as to why we should put a 6'4 lank with no dribbling or crossing skills out wide.

be honest now ... you're on crack, right ?

kamikaze80

Established Member
cant wait to do this all over again next year, boys. i'll have my posts copied and ready to paste. till then..

locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom