Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Toast, Sep 2, 2019.
you just can't please everyone.....
Was arguing this on here all summer, but was told over and over by posters on mount ‘superiority’ that a winger will help the defence by relieving the pressure, ‘don’t you realise that’.
Well, when push came to shove Pepe did nothing to stop more of the same defensive howlers we saw last year. He seems like a good buy, but was throwing all our money at another attacker a good idea when our defence is still ‘mistakes r us’. 5/10 window.
We bought a CB prospect but he's chilling in France.
Winger position was also a big problem, we had no danger from out wide last season.
Yoh, Trax with the whip on it here.
Would have thought even you consider it at least a 7.
I wasn’t really counting him on this years list as he has no impact on the team.
Next year if we buy another class CB to partner him, things could be different. Will Emery be here then?
Let’s see how it goes. If the mistakes continue then I’m sticking with it.
The sad thing is most posters think this window is an 8 and that’s why in the last two games the Emery hate has been going through the roof . . . as if the shirt pull and the crazy tackle in the box were his fault.
God willing he won’t be.
It can still have been an 8 with the shirt pull and crazy tackle in the box... I'm not Emery's back. I thought we looked much improved from the end of last season. I'm thoroughly excited and I expect us to make top 4. I think Unai does too. Half the first team is actually brand new when you think of the changes made. We've got a decent points tally so far and we have players coming back after the break. I can't see what everyone is so upset about.. it's a long season and I believe we have much better tools this season than last.
Was going into the window expecting something along the lines of: Martinelli, Tierney, Fraser (or Soares in the best case), Nkunku / Praet, Andersen.
So, given the initial expectations I had I should be very happy. Yet, there is something nagging. As momentum was building up, I was really hoping for a back-up RB and a better signing than Luiz for CB. So as my expectations rose during the window, my rating has gone down somewhat.
So, to take stock:
- Addressed pressing issue in our starting XI with the signing of Tierney
- Finally signed an actual winger after ages (last real winger in the squad was Alexis)
- Kept room in the squad to give youngsters a proper chance (especially at LW)
- Signed the exact type of CM that we were lacking with Ceballos
- Got a long term solution for CB with Saliba
- Saved about £500k net in weekly wages (£950k gross in my estimate)
- Got decent fees for surplus players (Thompson, Bielik, Jenks, Asano)
- Got a good fee for Iwobi who never truely fit in anywhere in the starting XI
- Got rid of the wrong LB, incoming LB still injured, no academy prospect backup
- Possibly slightly overpaid for Pepe given the hype
- Only managed to loan Ceballos, didn't manage an option to buy (still optimistic)
- Xhaka still considered a starting option despite talented youngsters and arrival of Ceballos
- Lost Amaechi (seemed inevitable though)
- Only managed to loan Elneny and Mkhitaryan
- Mustafi still here
- Didn't manage to get a back-up RB (was really hoping for Alves)
- Was really hoping we'd do better than Luiz at CB. Although he does fit the profile (ball-playing), I've never really rated him at CB, think he'd be better at DM. Perhaps Chambers would've needed to be sold, but at least we could then have splurged on a better option (really missed out on Hermoso)
Looking at this, I still think it's a solid 7,5/10 given the dire state we were in and the positivity is back. Just need Emery to get the midfield right and we're on for CL. One more window like this and we're in real good shape.
We did need wingers and still do need someone on the left. But our defence had been an issue for years, we need to spend big on CBs and we also need a RB since Bellerin can’t play all the time unless we want AMN there.
Sokratis and Luiz are cheap stop gaps who are prone to mistakes and conceding penalties. No different to what we has with Koscielny and Mustafi for years. Haven’t had a good CB since Mertesacker.
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv