• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rate the Transfer Window

How would you rate our transfer business on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 14 10.0%

Votes: 55 39.3%

Votes: 44 31.4%

Votes: 20 14.3%

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Lower than 5

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Aevi

Hale End FC
They all wanted out to play, don't see the problem.

Holding >= Chambers.

Perez > Campbell.

No one = Wilshere and Gnabry. But we've added Xhaka/Elneny and Iwobi, so again improvment.

Compared to last season(s)^.

Debuchy is a good backup, rather him than Jenkinson. Sanogo is irrelevant, whether he goes or still is here is pointless, besides he's injured.

Outgoings are more than fine, don't see the fuss. Hopefully we get some stronger players back next season, especially Wilshere.
I honestly agree, my main issue is with Gnabry's departure. There was probably more to be done to convince him to stick around (as I talked about in his transfer thread), but Per and Özil actually helped push him out by convincing both Werder and him of the move. The lack of a buy-back option for us is the cherry on the cake.

Injuries prevented departures from both Jenkinson and Debuchy (apparently), so that's understandable. Though the later turned down a move, and I hate him for it if that's true. Now that the Euros are over, it looks to me like he's happy to receive his wages and sit on the bench. No ambition.

I get the Wilshere move, it's time for him to prove himself to the club and this gives him free-range to do it. Chambers is in a similar position, as Holding has taken his spot and is more comfortable at the moment.

Campbell needed to be moved on in the end because he was standing in the way of youth. I was hoping Gnabry would step in for him, but I guess it's Willock now.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

That's as Furiousy a post as it gets mate.

I'm a fair man, and will give credit to Wenger and the club where it's due. Looking at the market I don't think we could've done much better this summer other than sign another attacker, which is why I don't rate it as a 10/10.

What's your take on it?

I think AW gets marked down quite a bit for the timing of our signings. Had we captured Lucas and Mustafi prior to MD1 then I would have given this window a far higher score.

I rounded up to 7/10 on the basis that we addressed areas of the spine that have been severely lacking for quite some time.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
8/10, would've liked a left back, but that's being greedy.

Would've also liked to have seen Sanogo and Akpom sold. Welbeck too, but for injury.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
8/10, would've liked a left back, but that's being greedy.

Would've also liked to have seen Sanogo and Akpom sold. Welbeck too, but for injury.

I agree. Hopefully with Wenger already well informed of Valencia FFP problems, we go quick after José Luis Gayà. Should be a great replacement for ageing Monreal and dodgy Gibbs.

He has potential to be next Jordi Alba.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I agree. Hopefully with Wenger already well informed of Valencia FFP problems, we go quick after José Luis Gayà. Should be a great replacement for ageing Monreal and dodgy Gibbs.

He has potential to be next Jordi Alba.

Valencia produce outstanding left backs.

Alba, Bernat and now Gaya, brilliant.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I gave it an 8. If I had seen top CF's being snapped up by other clubs I would have scored lower. As it was we signed top players in Xhaka and Mustafi, and a few for the future, certainly with Holding. I think Wenger did a good job by getting Lucas when he knew no top CF was available. If I have any complaints, it is that these signings could have been ready for our first game, having said that, I dont know what Wengers plans were, maybe he had higher hopes.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
That wasn't the question. It was to rate the window and the window addressed major concerns within the team. Lack of movement up front etc.

Time will tell if those we signed were the right guys or not

I didn't say it was, but to give this window a 8 or a 9 would imply imo that we are nailed on title challengers and anything else would be a big disappointment. The reality is we're still going to be seeing Grioud plodding around and Theo on the right. (Unless Perez hits the ground running)

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Too many not separating the window from the season. I'm curious of those who gave a low score what positions did you expect to see addressed and what was missing?

The late signings I can understand but in itself not enough to give a low score. The only clubs in the league that finished early were United and City, Chelsea were left doing a trolly dash as were the Premier League champions.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I didn't say it was, but to give this window a 8 or a 9 would imply imo that we are nailed on title challengers and anything else would be a big disappointment. The reality is we're still going to be seeing Grioud plodding around and Theo on the right. (Unless Perez hits the ground running)
We were title challengers before the window and we still are after. That doesn't mean we are favourites either but a favourable run of results won't do us any harm. We are where we have been every year.

The signings we made should only reinforce that but know way of knowing until they get up and running.

Edit. Dare I say as well it's a combination of windows also. Cech last year was great business ans ElNeny is head and shoulders above any rotation midfielder we've had in the last few years. He provides great squad depth.

Edit. Again to say we had a nine doesn't mean we are nailed on title challengers either. If you're a Palace fan or even a Stoke or Bournemouth fan you're probably thinking your window has been an 8 or 9, doesn't mean a title challenge follows.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Excellent window.

Two very good starting-caliber players and a striker who gives us everything Giroud doesn't. Would have liked to have seen business get done a month earlier, but other than that, no complaints.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member

We desperately needed new blood to improve the technical ability of the team. Too many Arsenal players in the last couple of years have been truly atrocious on the ball. Xhaka (especially), Mustafi and Perez will help the team in that regard - we might not turn over possession at the slightest hint of pressure.

However, no x factor signing up front or on the wings still means we'll be toothless in tough away matches or against strong defences at home. We're still mediocre up front compared to the best teams.

Neo-Harambist

Defensive and midfield signings were perfect, but we needed a world class striker more than anything and for the 4th year running, we didn't get one.

Fallout

I went with a 7. I feel like all of our signings are good players, and they will likely have a bright future with us while still contributing straight away. But at the same time, none of them are world class yet and so I'm honestly not sure how much they will improve us in their first season. Perez obviously is a huge unknown. But even a high profile guy like Xhaka still has holes in his game that will likely get exposed over the course of the season. So overall a 7 -- would have been higher had we brought in a bonafide world class player who could signifcantly improve us (especially at striker).

Latest posts

Top Bottom