• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match dicussion vs Chelsea

Man of the Match

• Jack Wilshere

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • Abou Diaby

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Samir Nasri

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Bacary Sagna

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biggus

Established Member
Y va marquer said:
Was yesterday the day that showed categorically that we have not progressed since last season?
Y va marquer said:
The WB result made me angry the Chelsea result has, for the moment, caused me to lose heart.
Once the hope is completely gone it stops hurting. :)

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Yep Y va, I think you pretty much sum up perfectly how most gooners are thinking at the moment.

We are at a complete standstill as a club at the moment. And we are as someone else put it (I think it may be Dules) where Chelsea were before their Russian turned up. The roles are reversed and we're now their *****es. Only difference being they were picking up the odd FA or Carling Cup.

asajoseph

Established Member
For the sake of inclusion in Ant's stats...

Fabianski - 8

Sagna - 5
Clichy - 6.5
Squillaci - 4
Koscielny - 5

Song - 6.5
Diaby - 7
Wilshere - 8
Nasri - 6

Arshavin - 5
Chamakh - 4

Vela - 5
Rosicky - 7
Emmanuel Thomas - 5

squallkid

Established Member
Can't believe I haven't done this

Fabianski - 8

Sagna - 4
Clichy - 4
Squillaci - 4
Koscielny - 4

Song - 3
Diaby - 4
Wilshere - 7
Nasri - 5

Arshavin - 5
Chamakh - 4

Subs
Vela - 2
Rosicky - 5
Emmanuel Thomas - N/A

asajoseph

Established Member
squalkid, gotta say I think some of those ratings were harsh.

We weren't good enough, but Chelsea didn't embarrass us on the day - the only thing that's embarrassing is that we don't seem to be progressing, not that Chelsea made us look like complete ****** (which they didn't).

sabret00the

Established Member
Fabianski - 7

Sagna - 6
Squillaci - 6
Koscielny - 6
Clichy - 6

Song - 5
Diaby - 6
Wilshere - 8

Nasri - 5
Arshavin - 5
Chamakh - 4

Subs
Vela - 5
Rosicky - 6
Emmanuel Thomas - 5

Herbert Chapman

outlaw_member said:
There's only one move that could bring about the necessary changes, and ye all know what that is.

No no that wont work,

It's been bulldozed and turned into high end apartments :angel

Timleaf

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
There's only one move that could bring about the necessary changes, and ye all know what that is.

You think the club's board and hierachy are prepared to fully back Wenger or a new manager to get the players we need though, Outie? This team needs an influx of 3 or 4 top class players, which will probably cost £50-60 million or so.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I don't know Tim, but I'm more afraid of where Wenger is leading us in the short term than the unknown. One thing I am sure of is that no other manager would have neglected our obvious weaknesses like a new GK or better organisation. The thing is, the style and culture of our team has already been established by Wenger. We just need to complement that with the aspects that we've continually failed at. Our problems are widely known, so I'm convinced that a new manager will atleast attempt to rectify them. Whether the board back a new manager to spend lavish sums is one thing, but I have no doubt that they'll back him to do the little things, which could make all the difference.

mistaT

Established Member
I think that's what's so frustrating about Wenger these days is he's done 98% right, 2% wrong but in this case that last 2% is unexcusable.

Almunia, Fabianksi, Clichy and the borderline cases of Diaby, Denilson, Eboue and co. should have been set straight and shipped a while ago. No way their antics would be tolerated in any of the other big clubs in the world.

Think Real Madrid, Cheslea, Man Utd, f even Man City, Bayern, or either of the Milan's would still have them on their books? Not a chance....

This is certainly off topic but I still think this is my biggest criticism of Wenger is that now he, not our club or the majority of our players, is the difference between us being a legitimate big team and just another pretender. :(

Humble Rex

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I don't know Tim, but I'm more afraid of where Wenger is leading us in the short term than the unknown. One thing I am sure of is that no other manager would have neglected our obvious weaknesses like a new GK or better organisation. The thing is, the style and culture of our team has already been established by Wenger. We just need to complement that with the aspects that we've continually failed at. Our problems are widely known, so I'm convinced that a new manager will atleast attempt to rectify them. Whether the board back a new manager to spend lavish sums is one thing, but I have no doubt that they'll back him to do the little things, which could make all the difference.

There is one thing about us getting a new manager that a lot of people seem to not think of;

The board appointed Wenger.

The board likes that we have a manager who is financially prudent. If not, why haven´t they "made" Wenger buy high profile players? It has certainly been done by other clubs before!

The board, along with Wenger, has set us out on this course of bringing through youth players ahead of buying "ready made" footballers.

What on earth brings people to believe that the very same board would appoint a new manager after Wenger who has a very different approach?

sabret00the

Established Member
mistaT said:
I think that's what's so frustrating about Wenger these days is he's done 98% right, 2% wrong but in this case that last 2% is unexcusable.

Almunia, Fabianksi, Clichy and the borderline cases of Diaby, Denilson, Eboue and co. should have been set straight and shipped a while ago. No way their antics would be tolerated in any of the other big clubs in the world.

Think Real Madrid, Cheslea, Man Utd, f even Man City, Bayern, or either of the Milan's would still have them on their books? Not a chance....

This is certainly off topic but I still think this is my biggest criticism of Wenger is that now he, not our club or the majority of our players, is the difference between us being a legitimate big team and just another pretender. :(
I think the issue is that the more time Wenger has spent dealing with things other than the footballing side, the more he loses grip on the importance of the footballing side. Take the record profits for example, it's a matter of "all praise wenger" when for me, my biggest gripe with his tenure is our failure to secure back-to-back Premiership Trophies. Which in itself highlights issues with his managerial style.

With Clichy, not shipping him out is in no way damning of Wenger. However bringing him on to play LWF, even when we're attempting to soak up pressure is a damning indictment of his ability. Again with Eboue, he's a RB, not a RWF.

In the case of Diaby, Abou has failed to secure a real position at this club. At some stage, you have to write him off and should we want another utility player, so be is, but Diaby isn't the super squad player that Wenger at worst hopes he is or at best the starter he thinks he is. Denilson for me is a case which speaks for itself. Denilson has held EPL records and served this club well having gone a season starting every game from Pre-season to the final day bar a few blips. He should at the very least be kept around as a squad player as we know what he's able to bring to the table.

Our keepers aren't good enough, but until we acquire an alternative we're stuck with them and Wenger is stuck defending them, no matter how painstaking that can be.

squallkid

Established Member
asajoseph said:
squalkid, gotta say I think some of those ratings were harsh.

We weren't good enough, but Chelsea didn't embarrass us on the day - the only thing that's embarrassing is that we don't seem to be progressing, not that Chelsea made us look like complete ****** (which they didn't).

They are low but it's nothing more than the team deserves. The only players that could walk away from that game with their heads held high are Fabianski and Wilshere.

Squillaci could've cost us another goal,

clichy was garbage as usual.

Sagna didn't do much

Koscielny gets a -1 for laughing and chatting with Drogba after the game. God how I miss the days of Vieira and the rest

A typical Diaby performance

Song still thinks he's Zidane

Jack was class

Nasri was just okay

Arshavin had two scorchers early on that could have gone in but that was it

Chamakh was anonymous

Vela did nothing when he came on.

Rosicky is past it

They didn't embarrass us because they didn't have to we played right into their hands through our tippy-tappy stuff, that match could have lasted 120 minutes and we still would not have scored. Do not let the fact that Chelsea weren't spraying shots all over the place make you think we were good defensively, that was their plan, they played a counter-attacking style of football that works all the time against us. Defend, Defend, Defend and wait for the set piece or for Drogba to pop up with a goal.

Works every-time

We were poor and pathetic with two exceptions

fabo

6.51 / 10
Didn't think Rosicky was that bad really. Couple of good runs, had a shot that was saved and a cross planted on Chamakh's head. Not a terrible cameo.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Biggus

I said I've lost heart "for the moment"

Once the international break elapses it's very likely that I'll start thinking...."hmmmm we can beat Birmingham at home, Chelsea could drop points to Villa, if we go on a run, they're bound to hit a dodgy patch, City and United play each other soon...." and so the madness starts again.
:)

Latest posts+

Top Bottom