• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Birmingham

The man of the match was...

• Jack Wilshere

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Marouane Chamakh

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Abou Diaby

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Lukasz Fabianski

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

asajoseph

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
There's no Song bashing going on, just people realising that role he is playing at the moment is probably asking too much of him.

dreamLord said:
He looked good because we was against a shot Hleb in midfield. Bring on City and we'll be back to the muppets we are at defending, and largely because of Song.

Bar Jack, he was by far and away the best passer of the ball we had in midfield yesterday. 73 passes, at a 96% success rate, all coming from a player who allegedly played as too much of an attacker, shows that he is obviously well capable of playing a bit of football, not some fat-arsed dirty traffic cone.

James

Established Member
asajoseph said:
And Djourou. 4. Really???

My brief ratings:

Fabianski - 7

Eboue - 5
Djourou - 6
Squillaci - 7
Clichy - 7

Diaby - 6
Song - 8
Wilshere - 9

Arshavin - 3
Chamakh - 6
Nasri - 6

Subs
Rosicky - 6
Bendtner - 4 (just for that ridiculous backheel).

Games like today remind me why I still think that anyone who does a backheel in a game should be fined.
Agree with this, entirely.

Djourou was better than alot are suggesting. Not brilliant, but solid. There was a real lack of communication at times though between him and Clichy, which resulted in their goal.

One bit though Asa...any player which attempts a back heel in his own half, whilst 2-1 up with 2 mins remaining, should be shot, not fined!

dreamLord

Established Member
That's fine mate. But it's only going to cause harm in big games when teams DO have good attackers. If he's good at it doesn't mean it's good for the team. We don't have anyone else to help out the defense (bar what Jack offers).

qs

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Song was excellent today.

Where this crazy idea that Song can only possibly be playing well if he sits rigidly within our half has come from, I don't know, but the sheep-like adherence to it by some of you lot is flat-out ridiculous, and is pretty much driving me to lose faith in this forum.

He was behind the play every time he needed to be today.

Exactly. Song has so much more in his locker than sitting deep and making tackles. Its exactly the likes of Brum at home where he should be joining the attack to help break down the 8 man defence. He had a great game yesterday, the criticisms are almost as astonishing as the excuses for Arshavin.

James

Established Member
Spot on boys. This whole idea of a player having to be a strict, rigid defensive midfielder annoys me. Song brings alot more to the table. For one, he's far more creative than Diaby, and that showed in the second goal.

Yesterday was easily his best game of the season.

Bossa

Established Member
Wilshere is like a total new signing who has emerged as the player of the season so far. Him and Fabregas next to eachother are Iniesta/Xavi like.

Mr Wolf

MOM clearly Wilshere, but also Diaby and Chamakh did well.
Nasri on the wing is out of role, but he did his job.

qs

Established Member
I like Denilson but he's a bit similar to Wilshere, Song is a better foil for him. Allow Denilson play as Jacks back up.

dreamLord

Established Member
Think if we could move the AM a bit behind, and play with 3 midfielders like in an actual 4-3-3, we could choose any 3 from Ramsey/Wilshere/Fabregas/Denilson/Diaby/Song without relying excessively on any one player to be 'defensive'.

This will only happen when our front line becomes more effective, ie Walcott and RvP are fit, and Arshavin remembers he's a footballer.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
dreamLord said:
Think if we could move the AM a bit behind, and play with 3 midfielders like in an actual 4-3-3, we could choose any 3 from Ramsey/Wilshere/Fabregas/Denilson/Diaby/Song without relying excessively on any one player to be 'defensive'.

This will only happen when our front line becomes more effective, ie Walcott and RvP are fit, and Arshavin remembers he's a footballer.

We played a flat midfield 3 for most of last season, and it was the main reason we were raped on the counter attack time and time again.

qs - I think Denilson would be good because he gives 'shape' to the midfield, and his passing is quick and accurate.

qs

Established Member
I think he does that too but Wilshere is doing that at the moment and I think Song gives us more presence and determination defensively than Denilson. Denny tends to get fouled alot too where as Song is stronger holding the ball under pressure.

For me I'd have Wilshere - Song with Denilson - Diaby as back up. Always with one big guy, one technical guy.

dreamLord

Established Member
The reason we got raped on the counter attack was that Diaby/Song/Denilson constantly made errors regarding positioning and were caught up the pitch. We didn't play a flat midfield 3 anyway(at least in the big games) - it was a clear cut 4-4-1-1 with Cesc as the SS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom