• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Birmingham

The man of the match was...

• Jack Wilshere

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Marouane Chamakh

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Abou Diaby

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Lukasz Fabianski

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

outlaw_member

Established Member
Do you know what I thought was very revealing? Diaby and Song had their best performances of the season thus far, yet Wilshere comfortably out shined both of them.

Very happy with Djourou and Fabianski, too.

Unfortunately, Arshavin had his worst ever performance in an Arsenal shirt.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Fabianski 6/10

Sagna 6/10
Squillaci 6/10
Djourou 6/10
Clichy 6/10

Wilshere 8/10
Song 7/10
Diaby 6/10

Arshavin 4/10
Chamakh 7/10
Nasri 6/10

ricky1985

Established Member
I agree with those saying Song played well yesterday, I was impressed. However, there were 4 or 5 times when Birmingham got beyond our midfield and on to our defence, far too easily. That's Song's fault, Wilshere's fault, and occasionally Diaby's, Nasri's and Arshavin's fault - it was only Birmingham's appalling attacking play that spared us on those occasions. City will make us pay for that weakness - as Chelsea did - and so it's still a big problem and a big worry.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Wasn't it Nasri who half heartedly tracked back and failed to challenge for possession in the move that led to the Birmingham goal?

Anzac

Established Member
dreamLord said:
The reason we got raped on the counter attack was that Diaby/Song/Denilson constantly made errors regarding positioning and were caught up the pitch. We didn't play a flat midfield 3 anyway(at least in the big games) - it was a clear cut 4-4-1-1 with Cesc as the SS.

Played more like a 4-1-1-3-1 & still does.

Anzac

Established Member
Y va marquer said:
Wasn't it Nasri who half heartedly tracked back and failed to challenge for possession in the move that led to the Birmingham goal?

From memory it was Nasri who tracked back behind Eboue to put the ball out for the throw from which they scored.

AshburtonGhost

Anzac said:
dreamLord said:
The reason we got raped on the counter attack was that Diaby/Song/Denilson constantly made errors regarding positioning and were caught up the pitch. We didn't play a flat midfield 3 anyway(at least in the big games) - it was a clear cut 4-4-1-1 with Cesc as the SS.

Stop splitting hairs regarding formations, ol' boy, you've even added an extra player in that one! :wink:

Gunner_JT

outlaw_member said:
Do you know what I thought was very revealing? Diaby and Song had their best performances of the season thus far, yet Wilshere comfortably out shined both of them.

Very happy with Djourou and Fabianski, too.

Unfortunately, Arshavin had his worst ever performance in an Arsenal shirt.

Good points, except i thought Djourou was very ordinary, he should have stuck much closer to Zigic for the goal. I rate him but he hasn't shown what he's capable of but you can put that down to lack of playing time.

dreamLord

Established Member
Anzac said:
dreamLord said:

Fine, whatever you want to call it. All I know is that we didn't have a flat 3 man midfield, and that Cesc was way too high up the goddam pitch.

est

I've finally watched the game and I thought Jack was superb. Chamakh, Diaby and Song were also very good.

est

A little bit too static as usual.

Nasri and Chamakh don't look to get behind enough and Arshavin is too lazy to constantly make off the ball runs.

Diaby was a positive though. Always found space between the lines and his control was exquisite. Drove the ball forward very well, but his final ball was often played too late or chose the wrong option.

It should get much better with Theo and Cesc back though.

Anzac

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
Anzac said:
dreamLord said:

Stop splitting hairs regarding formations, ol' boy, you've even added an extra player in that one! :wink:

Lol = still 10 outfield plyers.

Just highlighting our 3 role CMs - last season it was a holding-B2B-AM combo, this season it's a deep playmaker-B2B-AM combo but the same vertical application.

Burnwinter

Established Member
I don't think the "three role midfield" would be an issue if the players had a slightly better understanding - or the trio was a little more consistent in its composition.

Wilshere should give us great hope in that regard because on this season's evidence he turns out to have an immense gift for interpreting the overall position and responding appropriately.

Anzac

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
I don't think the "three role midfield" would be an issue if the players had a slightly better understanding - or the trio was a little more consistent in its composition.

Wilshere should give us great hope in that regard because on this season's evidence he turns out to have an immense gift for interpreting the overall position and responding appropriately.

Whilst this season's rendition is working better than the previous rendition, I still hate it on principle because it is vertical & therefore requires the forwards to cover the flanks whilse the CMs have carte blanche to do f*ck all.

Furthermore I think the midfield would work better if AW didn't keep changing things up every season since 08/09 - we have had no stability or consistancy in any area of the pitch either as a result of injuries / form / AW's tinkering.

As for Wilshere - IMO he'd be just as effective in an inverted pyramid midfield in twin creative playmaking roles playing B2B, as would any of Cesc, Ramsey, Rosicky, Nasri & possibly Diaby.

AshburtonGhost

@ Anzac - so, would you class Vieira - Petit or Vieira - Gilberto as vertical midfields? After all, one was a box-to-box type and the others more holding, facilitator types. No midfield in the world is perfectly aligned except for when in a defensive phase of play and adding further 'lines' in a formation because one player operates a few yards deeper than the other is definitely a case of splitting hairs IMO.

I do agree with the need to move back to only two types of player in the midfield; a disciplined, defensive/facilitating type and two box-to-box types who are comfortable as playmakers as well as attacking the box late on looking for goals. Like many, I find it extremely frustrating seeing Fabregas sitting up alongside the centre forward while we struggle to transition the ball effectively out of midfield. Classic example of Wenger trying to plug one hole by using the wad from another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom