• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Braga

Player of the Match?

• Fabregas

Votes: 79 94.0%
  • Chamakh

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Arshavin

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Wilshere

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eirico

bigtimetopbanana said:
All of the other ratings I think are easy pickings... but I'd disagree on the following two:

Squillaci 9. Sevilla definately missed him and he let nothing past him tonight. I think he'll end up being Verm's first choice partner.
Koscielny 6. It was his first Champs League game, but he was playing an average team, and he let Matheus spin behind him way too many times. I reckon Kos will become a good player in time, but he's inconsistent at the moment. Liverpool he was great but naive. Blackburn he was pulled all over the place. Bolton again, great and then rubbish.

Did we see the same game? Thought Kos was solid, very aggressive in the challanges and dealt with what came. I missed the first 25 mins though.

Eirico

outlaw_member said:
I was especially thinking more in regards to Cesc. He needs to chill out, as he was still playing at 100% so he could get his hattrick. Great determination, but abit scary.

And the CL I agree, should get off the pedal when the victory is sealed. But in the PL, we need the goal difference, so I would like us to give teams a thumping, like Chelsea does, whenever we can.

Biggus

Established Member
flobaba said:
We were in bully mood today. Of course, as lagos said it did seem like quite a mismatch all night long, but hey, you can only play what's in front of you, and the more of these kind of games our team gets, the more confident they will be, and the more wary of us other teams will become, aka we regain our fear factor.

On the other hand, I hope the lads are professional enough to realize that we need to maintain these levels of play/commitment, and also not to expect many teams (especially in the EPL) to bend over at the behest of our Cescy football and captain.

On to the next one.
Braga were sh!t, we're flat track bullies- but thats what we had to do.
These big wins will be doing our confidence no harm at all players like Chamakh Arshavin and Vela thrive on goals.
I thought Koscielny was pretty solid too.

Galahad

I was shocked by Songs performance aswell...Id give him a 4 personally...tooo many misplaced passes, not the usual bite and determination defending. H ereally stood out.
Clichy with usual blunders in and around our own area...ldeft me speechless. 2 times he got away with it, but in the prem tha tcould have been costly.

Otherwise a brilliant game from everyone. But guys, dont slate off Braga...we all know how it works. You can beat a team 6-0 and then lose to them the next time, no matter when that will be. Theyv beaten Celtic and Sevilla, they cant be too bad. Its probably down to it being their first CL game and us being at the top of our game the first 10 minutes. Once it was 3-0 they probably gave up already.
I just hope this result wont make our players complacent. What they showed after leading 1-0 till the 30th was almost nothing.

Bossa

Established Member
Almunia 7
Sagna 7
Squillaci 7
Koscielny 7
Clichy 6
Song 6
Wilshere 8
Fabregas 10
Nasri 7
Arshavin 8
Chamakh 8

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Don't really want to single out all the players because I thought it was a great team performance. So well done boys, love watching them when they're in that form!!

Feanor

Established Member
I actually thought it was not a great team performance. Too many misplaced passes and a little sloppy on Defense, a better team could have really punished us.

ricky1985

Established Member
Almunia - 7. Not much to do, but collected some moderately difficult crosses well enough.

Sagna - 6. Braaga barely attacked down his flank, probably because he repelled them pretty easily whenever they did. Barely got forward though and had one or two slack moments.

Squillaci - 6. Won most challenges he went in for, but barely had to make any.

Koscielny - 7. Bullied there forwards and made some great challenges. One-on-one he's so reliable.

Clichy - 7. Made countless great interceptions, but was very sloppy one or two times. Also made some strange decision when he was faced up against their wide player a few times. Everything they did came down his side - that happens every time he plays and it can;t be a coincidence that teams frequently choose to attack Clichy and not Sagna (although Arshavin is no doubt a factor in that).

Song - 5. Was better in the second half, but gave the ball away far too many times. Was also positionally suspect right the way through - in fact Wilshere showed him up in that respect by comparison. It's difficult to be too critical of his passing, combination play, touch etc. Because there is not many midfielders out there who would not be shown up when playing with such technically gifted players around him and being asked to play at such speed.

Wilshere - 8. His passing was a little more incisive in this game than it has been previously, but it makes me laugh how that's all it takes for people to recognise how good he is. His game without the ball and his consistent passing from deep was not really any different to what it has been for the majority of this season. He takes up the right positions and makes the right decisions over and over again.

Fabregas - 9. Linked brilliantly with Wilshere in the final third, and with Jack dominating the game from deep that meant Cesc played further up the pitch, and he revelled in it.

Nasri - 7. Nice touches and close control, but no real end product. Worked tirelessly though.

Arshavin - 8. Difficult one to grade. He was abysmal at times, his passing was so sloppy and he constantly weakens our defensive game, either by giving the ball away at the worst possible time or when he doesn't keep shape and that harms our attempt at pressing. On the other hand he was brilliant for the most part in the final third.

Chamakh - 8. Gave a master-class in forward play for the 60 minutes he was on the pitch. Everything was there when it was needed - pace, touch, strength, awareness, intelligent movement, timing, finishing, work rate. What more could you want?

Subs

Eboue - 5. He looked bright but his passing was really poor.

Denilson - 6. Didn't really get involved like he normally does when coming on.

Vela - 8. Looked so lively. The question is can he have the same sort of impact from the left or right wing, or from the start of games?

Yaya

Established Member
almunia-6.5
Sagna-6
squillaci-6.5
Kos-7
clichy-6
song-5
wilshere-8
cesc-9.5
Nasri-6.5
Arshavin-7.5
chamakh-8.5

vela-8

yuvken

Established Member
Ratings more or less with Qs/Ricky85 (I'd up kos a bit, song got too much stick here).

Points: Apart from Cesc's performance (oh, yeah), it was him keeping the team with this hunger all the way (at points, as outlaw mentioned, I thought: wow, that's great from him, but - watch out! he ran like crazy in the last few minutes doing risky things). I say give him to Barca for free - who needs him and his sort?

Jack - that's just great. His little assist to Chamakh, those two wonder passes in the second - fantastic. Those who sing "no players in progress in first team" would do well to forget his name.
Chamakh: End of debate. He may not always play at this level, but whoever still doubts what we have is very slow.
Arsha: If he stays in that motivation level, and meets cesc like that, we'll be allowed to dream again.
Vela: we never doubted he has it in him, but this needs to go on for us to be sure he's really there. a bit early to celebrate, but this can't be bad.
Kos: deserves more credit than mentioned here - I'm a bit surprised tbh. His second half was a fantastic performance - assured, alert, quick, strong - I kept a special eye on him and I was very happy with what I saw.

AW? well, I almost feel I owe him an apology, but I only really joined giving him stick for Al.
But I am now certain his Chamakh, Kos moves were great (Robin who? :) ), and other moves seem to deserve credit as well (Denilson, Jack, Vela, even Cesc and Arsha; It even looks a bit like our D approach is starting to change. Early, I know).

Proportion: I must admit I thought this was quite poor from Braga, mainly in the second half (but do I prefer a hard fought 2-0 to 6:0? what? :wink: )

nazo

Established Member
Just watched the game and some people really underrated Arshavin's performance. He was back to his very best.

Cesc was a man possessed. Hopefully he can do that against Sunderland now.

Wilshere was amazing for the first hour but slowed down after that. He was playing with confidence and i hope he continues to do that against better opposition.

IBL

Established Member
One moment that really epitomised Cesc's hunger was this mazy run on the right wing in the second half where he twice saved an almost lost cause and managed to get a cross in, even Nasri had stopped his run towards the box as he felt the cross was never going to come.

Top Bottom