• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Ipswich

Man of the match:

• Cesc Fabregas

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Johan Djourou

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Jack Wilshere

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Laurent Koscielny

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Nicklas Bendtner

Votes: 12 19.4%

• Total voters

fabo

6.51 / 10
It's not the fact he scored from that side of the pitch that surprised me, he's scored a few from that side of the box this season already. It was the quality of the control - he cushioned it with the outside of his right boot and then shimmied inside the defender.

His touch is horribly inconsistent at the best of times and he's not in good form, so it was surprising for me.

yuvken

Established Member
I agree that the surprising part was actually controlling it - it's hard for any one, and certainly Nik's first touch is not always great. But he has been able to do that in the past, and you only get sharp enough for stuff like that when you've been playing regularly.
I also think for him being in enough space to prepare the touch adds to his chances. I'm not expecting him to do that' or the "Ronaldo" move, in tight areas.

KY

Established Member
weighing in on the argument, Bendtner's talent is without doubt. It's his ability to turn that talent into results on the pitch that's in question. Too often he fails to deliver, either from trying too hard or not trying at all!

banduan

Established Member
He brought the ball down with the outside of his right, cruyff turns to take the first defender out, the defender behind doesn't know where to go so stays in the way, curls it pass him. Awesome and silky smooth too.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
celestis said:
outlaw_member said:
The thing I loved most about Wilshere's recent performances is his desire for the cause. He gives that extra effort in certain situations that other players wouldn't. You even see him press relentlessly in harmless areas in order to overturn possession. Fabregas gave his absolute all today aswell, but Wilshere just played like a man possessed. Again, I didn't think he was great on the ball, even though it was definitely better than usual, but the intensity with which he plays the game is so refreshing.

Eboue, Denilson and Arshavin were really poor to varying degrees.

Yup agree ,must say as well Song has become an integral part of the midfield our play misses something when he is not there .
Arsavin had a continuation of his current form , but what an assist that was to Fabregas , draws the two players infield and passes to the vacated space to Fabregas . Clever player no matter how bad he is playing .

To outlaw:

Do you not rate Wilshere's ability on the ball? :? I think he's absolutely outstanding. His touch, his close control, his imagination. The reason he hasn't made too many defence-splitting passes this season is because he's deployed so deep. You watch how influential he'll become if moved higher up, or even when he just gets used to this 'complete' midfielder role Wenger has so brilliantly assigned to him 8))

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Klaus Daimler said:
I've seen Wilshere's pass to Bendtner's goal twenty or so times today and it just gets more and more brilliant. Cesc would have been proud of that assist.

Yes it was sensastional , Anzac will be pleased as it shows we don't need Cesc in a deep lying position as Jack filling just fine .

Anzac

Established Member
celestis said:
Klaus Daimler said:
I've seen Wilshere's pass to Bendtner's goal twenty or so times today and it just gets more and more brilliant. Cesc would have been proud of that assist.

Yes it was sensastional , Anzac will be pleased as it shows we don't need Cesc in a deep lying position as Jack filling just fine .

Indeed - it's the first time I can recall a player other than Cesc hitting a pass like that with such aplomb, and adds a new dimension to our midfield & playmaker options. Hopefully he'll look to do so more often. :D

Burnwinter

Established Member
The thing about Bendtner is that although his touch is inconsistent, his brain isn't. His problem is that his mind's often writing cheques his clodhoppers can't cash.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Anzac said:
At the risk of opening another debate = a few observations re Bendtner in the WF role.

I've been against this as he lacks the pace or dribbling ability to take on defenders from outside the final 3rd, and I have preferred to think of him in the lone striker role. However now I no longer think he is suited to that position in the role of linking forward, primarily because his 1st touch & initial movement are too laboured when he is static & back to goal. IMO Bendtner is best suited to a role when he is able to keep moving & stay high on the pitch = as a CF he is more akin to Ade than RVP or Chamakh.

Like AA he is VERY good as a WF in the final 3rd but not so good in the middle 3rd playing deeper behind the forward line/advance players. However his crossing from the right is as good as anyone in the team both in quality & variety, and on the left he looks to come inside onto his right foot and go for goal from anywhere around the area (as opposed to trying to play the ball into the middle). He's scored about 3 very good goals from the left corner of the area of late & I'd look to use him on the left with RVP in the middle, and on the right with Chamakh in the middle, with license to get into the middle anytime the central striker drifts wide.

Nice summary Anzac. I think the bolded part is spot on at least with respect to how you'd expect him to perform alongside our other players.

However, he did lay on a nice cross for van Persie to head home just a few days ago, and also Chamakh hasn't really looked like a threat in the air for some time.

est

fabo said:
The little flick to get inside was Ronaldo-esque.....:razz:
I've always wondered why Theo doesn't use that move. It's not very difficult to execute and is very effective. It's a lot harder for defenders to read and it makes changing direction much easier/faster than by using the outside of the foot.

Van Persie also used it against Wigan.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I must admit that I didnt know it was Wilshere who executed that pass, automatically assumed it was Cesc.

On that alone, I would call the praise justified. Well done lad o.

yuvken

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
great pass, but I think Jack has already made some more impressive passes (some over the top into the area with shocking precision). Here he was actually helped by great work from Nik, who opened the lane brilliantly, and waved at Jack to show the way. Jack was great to pick that in an instant and react quickly, but neither the range or accuracy of the pass itself were the best we've seen from him. He certainly has a Cesc pass in him, and I feel with experience he'll reduce the rate of passes that need not be attempted, and recognize himself a bit better (IMO he drops physically, which doesn't show in his effort and running but does in choosing the pass, etc.).

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Lol Bendtners goal was Henryesque , one touch to control ,cuts in from the left and curls the ball pass the keeper just like the good ol days .

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jack was superb on the night, but let's not forget it was Ipswich at the Emirates, and he's miles better than the very best they had to offer in midfield. Man for man in midfield, it was as bigger mismatch as you're likely to see.

Top Bottom