• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Shaktar Donetsk

Man of the match was...

• Tomas Rosicky

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Samir Nasri

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Jack Wilshere

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Alexandre Song

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

sabret00the

Established Member
Overall, we lacked fluidity and urgency. We should've absolutely raped them but nothing was really coming off. We had Rosicky playing RW instead of RWF and spent most of him time in line with the central three. Song played as a striker and Nasri was seldom in position (given a free role) which meant ultimately, our shape and options were bjorked. Sloppy passes that should've come off constantly failed to. Overall, we should've done better and we will. It's a shame that Wilshere and Fabregas won't get to work together more, as I believe that's the key to making us into a driving force.

I personally don't believe anyone in the front three is in contention for MOTM, but the performances of their replacements must've made floated their self-esteems. Can't wait for the next match.

yuvken

Established Member
It's a shame that Wilshere and Fabregas won't get to work together more, as I believe that's the key to making us into a driving force.
maybe you worry too much: AW sounded like it was his dream come true (and cesc was not even the real cesc yet).
I have a feeling we'll see a lot of this, and I agree with you it is something to look forward to.

banduan

Established Member
qs said:
banduan said:
7s all round cause we thrashed 'em but nobody really put their heart and soul into it, ya know what I mean?

And rightly so. If you can win 5-1 at a canter then no point pushing it.
yeah, it wasn't a criticism really.

However, Shakhtar were not so terrible that they couldn't trouble us, it's just that they were so toothless. Once the 3rd goal came they kinda caved in, like many teams do.

Bossa

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Overall, we lacked fluidity and urgency. We should've absolutely raped them but nothing was really coming off. We had Rosicky playing RW instead of RWF and spent most of him time in line with the central three. Song played as a striker and Nasri was seldom in position (given a free role) which meant ultimately, our shape and options were bjorked. Sloppy passes that should've come off constantly failed to. Overall, we should've done better and we will. It's a shame that Wilshere and Fabregas won't get to work together more, as I believe that's the key to making us into a driving force.

I personally don't believe anyone in the front three is in contention for MOTM, but the performances of their replacements must've made floated their self-esteems. Can't wait for the next match.

I'm happy that we havent given full 100% and still won the game with a big score. We rested a few players and the players who have played should have enough fitness left to face City on 100%.

Proof

Established Member
Cesc looked like he just woke up. It was an overall good performance. Jack was so stupid to foul Zigic, now he won't be available for City. Him and Cesc, seem to develop a great partnership.

Bossa

Established Member
Fabianski 7
Eboué 7
Squillaci 7
Djourou 7
Clichy 6
Song 7
Wilshere 8
Fabregas 6.5
Rosicky 7.5
Nasri 7.5
Chamakh 7.5

flobaba

cloista said:
James said:
Wilshere though...i'm not sure i've seen a better player at that age.

He's better than Cesc was at the same age, IMO.
Arguable. However, I feel he's settled faster (as he's been at the club all his life), and got more freedom to express his abilities than Cesc did at 18. Plus he's not playing alongside the Invincibles.

outlaw_member

Established Member
He's more rounded than Cesc was, definitely. More intelligent, also, which is quite something given that Cesc seemed like a veteran at that age. He's not better, though, that I'm sure of.

cloista

Well, ok, maybe not at 18, but for his breathrough year (which I know, was Cesc at 17, not 18), I would say he shows signs of being better. The thing I like most about him is how easily he adapts to different partners in midfield, something Cesc didn't do as well at that age (you could argue that if he had, selling Vieira wouldn't have been necessary, but the 2 of them didn't play together as well as either did with Gilberto).

Anzac

Established Member
Bearing in mind that Wilshere is part of a 3 man midfield (supposedly), whereas Cesc's early years were as part of a 2 man midfield.

Even if you count Wilshere as part of a 2 CM centre pairing his role is VERY different to that Cesc had.

est

Good point Anzac.

I don't think it makes much difference who is/was better at 18 years of age. At 23 though, Cesc has reached a level where he's one of the very best players in the world and totally unplayable on his day. If Jack can get anywhere close to that level, I will be a very happy Gooner.

Anzac

Established Member
est said:
Good point Anzac.

I don't think it makes much difference who is/was better at 18 years of age. At 23 though, Cesc has reached a level where he's one of the very best players in the world and totally unplayable on his day. If Jack can get anywhere close to that level, I will be a very happy Gooner.

The trick will be to ensure that we are winning silverware on a regular basis to ensure we do not lose such talent as they reach that level. I am tired of having our top players courted & then departing so as to win titles elsewhere, and I am equally tired of hearing comments akin to Rooney's regarding club ambition / attracting top players (regardless that IMO Shrek's comments are a smoke screen).

dpt49

Established Member
Anzac said:
regardless that IMO Shrek's comments are a smoke screen/b]).
I think your probably right.
I assume you are talking about the fact that Rooney will double his wages at Man city and that he hates Ferguson as well

Anzac

Established Member
dpt49 said:
Anzac said:
regardless that IMO Shrek's comments are a smoke screen/b]).
I think your probably right.
I assume you are talking about the fact that Rooney will double his wages at Man city and that he hates Ferguson as well

In so much as it's ALL about the money as we've seen with his new deal, and nothing to do with ManU lacking ambition or success as a club. As I said elsewhere Shrek is the MAnUre equivalent of Greedy.

Top Bottom