• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs The Sock-Robbers

Man of the match was...

• Sagna

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Fabregas

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Djourou

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Song

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other (state in thread)

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters

DOUBLE-YOU

i was happy with the defensive performance of the whole team, however i thought we were sloppy when in possession(especially first half). i need to watch agin to give ratings, but what i can remember, was constantly talking on the phone to my brother complaining about Song's distirbution throughout the game!

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Lukazan said:
I don't know why Fabregas or Song are there.
Have no idea myself. Terrible performances by both. Fabregas hardly defended at all in the first half and was ******* up far too many passes.
Maybe you need to watch it again. Cesc played deep in the first half and defended very well in the area around our box. He didn't have an easy task either since he had to carry Wilshere for 45 minutes. He basically played for two people until Denilson came on.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Agreed on Cesc's defending in the first. Sometimes we were almost 5 at the back with him.

Still shouldn't be up there instead of Flappy though. :wink:

sabret00the

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
sabret00the said:
Lukazan said:
I don't know why Fabregas or Song are there.
Have no idea myself. Terrible performances by both. Fabregas hardly defended at all in the first half and was ******* up far too many passes.
Maybe you need to watch it again. Cesc played deep in the first half and defended very well in the area around our box. He didn't have an easy task either since he had to carry Wilshere for 45 minutes. He basically played for two people until Denilson came on.
Carry Wilshere? I'll watch it again because I certainly didn't see that and the stats certainly don't support that idea.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Wilshere was abysmal throughout the game in my opinion. Slow and cumbersome (which probably had something to do with him getting a hit early on to be fair) and looked lost in his marking. Every other pass he played put a teammate under pressure, nevermind what the stats might say about success rates.

AnthonyG said:
Agreed on Cesc's defending in the first. Sometimes we were almost 5 at the back with him.

Still shouldn't be up there instead of Flappy though. :wink:
I respectfully disagree. :wink:

I could've gone with either or to be honest. Right now there are a number of people who wanted Nasri in there too, and probably a few who fancied Arshavin and Chamakh as well. Blame it on the forum code that only allows five options per poll instead. It would have been so much easier to just put the entire starting eleven in there and then let people vote for themselves.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Thought we defende brilliantly for most of the game today. The back four and Fabianski were very good under a lot of pressure.

In midfield we looked ok, thought Denilson did a good job when he came on.

Nasri once again was fantastic. We should have used him more when it got nervy towards the end. His ability to keep possesion is by far the best in the team.

Good win in a lively game. Made all the better by Sunderlands smashing of Chelsea.

Bring on MOTD and that dour **** Alan Hanson...

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I thought Song had a really good defensive performance. Blocked two all-but-certain goals amongst other things. Was spot on in his positioning most of the time and didn't give Saha much of a chance to turn around. His passing was a bit disappointing when he went forward but I'd say the same thing was true for the entire team. This was the performance that everyone who thinks he's been attacking too much lately has been shouting for.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Agree with Klaus. He made some sloppy passes throughout the game but was a defensive wall. In fact, i'd go as far to say that everyone had a good game defensively today. I even saw Arshavin chasing back a few times...

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
With Ant on this one. Thought Song was average today. Fabianski certainly had a greater impact.

Not sure how Fabregas could have been said to be defensively lax today though, I thought he hassled and harried the Everton midfield extremely effectively, especially in the first half. His passing game was off but that'll come back.

There does seem to be a growing petulance to his game though which I'm not overjoyed about. He seemed to be asking for Everton players to get booked after every tackle, irrespective of how hard they went in which I hate seeing either other teams or us do.

Djorou was immense, Flappy was reassuringly good with some fine stops but going with Nasri for MOTM. Put in a great shift. Took players on, got into great positions and wasn't afraid to have a pop from distance when opportunity arose. Great to see (for me he's been our best player so far this season)

otfgoon

Established Member
Song deserves a 7 for that sliding interception at the near post alone, as that would have rolled right to Beckford/Yakubu for a simple tap in. Never mind a solid defensive display in generel.

DOUBLE-YOU

i thought Cesc played quite deep in the first half. to me it looked like song was getting forward most out of our middle three. They were all sloppy in possession but i certainly dont think wilshere was as bad as many are saying on this forum. In saying that Denilson seemed to make a difference in the second period.

Danni

Fabianski - Made some outstanding saves today. I think he has it in him to be a great 'keeper if he keeps his form consistent. 8

Sagna - Solid, as per usual. 8

Squillaci - Solid. 8

Djourou - His best game for Arsenal. 8

Clichy - Gael is going to cost us points this season with his lack of intelligence, unfortunately. 5

Wilshere - Wasn't his best game. 5

Song - Was actually pretty good today. He broke up the play throughout the 90 minutes, but lost his concentration in the last 10 minutes - as did his team-mates. 6

Cesc - Failed to impose himself on the game in the first half, but scored at the beginning of the first half and was influential from then on. 7

Nasri - I know he is my favourite player, and that I may be a bit biased when I say this, but I thought he had an excellent game. He kept the ball tremendously well and was our main threat all afternoon. 8.5

Chamakh - Poor first touch and link up play, but produced a fantastic assist for Cesc Fabregas. 6

Arshavin - He was decent, but he still isn't at his best. 6

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I'd give Clichy a 6 at more, surprised hes getting much higher really.

IBL

Established Member
nasri
samir nasri
nanananna nanananan

It's all I've got to say really.

oh, and JD MotM - monster of a man today

Eirico

Thought Nasri had a better game than Cesc tbh. Pleased with Samir, Fabianski and Djourou.

Although Squillaci had an average game, Clichy was yet again our weakest link in the defense. Tbf to him he got very little help from Arshavin when the Russian was playing.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I just finished watching the game and I don't know why so many are moaning about Song. He saved us time and time again and even when they just missed, it was usually Song in attendance putting them off. He was clearly asked not to go forward as much and he protected the back 4 pretty well. He did have some misplaced passes but it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Overall I just like the fact that we showed a mean streak here and there and were generally unflappable barring the last 10 minutes.

Top Bottom