• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Wigan

Best Arsenal player was...

• Andrey Arshavin

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Jack Wilshere

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

Y va marquer

Established Member
Rozza had a shot on target saved in the 23rd minute or so.
I've become the tiniest bit obsessed with the idea that he has got to score soon.

Emma Lusa

Fabianski 5/10 -- Still worry about his positioning (second goal?) but must be hard when your CB's keep making bad errors.

Sagna 6/10 -- Mostly good but at this level those errors can prove costly and he got away with a couple today.
Squillaci 5/10 -- Another 90% solid performance but that 10% of headless idiocy is just poor.
Koscielny 5/10 -- Similar to Squ 90% solid but then a few errors, was the penalty avoidable? not sure ....
Eboue 3/10 -- Not good enough and doesn't seem to care.

Denilson 4/10 -- Plays well with the ball, is dreadful without it, poor position and apparent lack of effort are a big concern.
Wilshere 7/10 -- Livened everything up and played with "the effort required of an Arsenal player".
Rosicky 4/10 Hmmmm seems unable to find a pass or beat an opponent, good effort but as usual no result.

Arshavin 3/10 -- Sums up what's wrong with this team, one or two minutes of pure class and 98 mins of unadulterated crap.
Chamakh 6/10 -- Put in a solid shift and against 'average' teams looks a threat, good effort.
Bendtner 6/10 -- Played well in what is not his best position, first touch? but great effort.

Wenger 2/10 -- The line up wasn't working from the kick-off, to many changes and to many average players. It took far to long to make changes. AW just can't grasp the fact that this CB pairing doesn't work. The job of the manager is to get results, should Arsenal be beating Wigan? of course we should and we have the players to do it, we just didn't play them .... not your best day AW.

Humble Rex

Established Member
We really didn´t lose/draw today because of the 8 changes. The boys had a hard time at the beginning, the ref gave Wigan a peno for a beautiful dive without any contact - but they weathered the storm and turned the game around.

We lost the game when Wenger after 60 minutes refused to act even though it was dead obvious that both Arshavin and Bendtner were done. They didn´t do their jobs defensively, and the team suffered as a consequence.

Nasri and Feo on there and I am fairly certain we would have got the spark back that we badly needed at that point and killed the game off.

Poor decision making from the manager cost us today IMO. Bitterly disapointed.

Anzac

Established Member
Agreed re the changes made - the players have been together long enough with our style that they should have been able to make the adjustments.

More concerned that he played 2 CFs up front particularly when 1 was coming back from injury & not match fit, and the other has been burnt out & needing a rest. As I said earlier I'd have thought that Vela would have offered better ball retention & movement, let alone having earlier been described as a natural goal scorer. Consequently I think part of the issue was that AW had limited his options regarding forward replacements, & I'd preferred to have seen a AA-Nik-Vela starting front line, with Chamkh, Nasri, Theo available off the bench.

yuvken

Established Member
Regarding this last point - is this the final curtain for Vela? If he doesn't feature here, then where/when?

goonerwarsh

Established Member
It was another piss poor defensive performance. Wenger talks about consistency well when is he going to wake up and realise how many goals were consistently shipping. It's a joke

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
ricky1985 said:
Squillaci is just a terrible footballer, really poor signing from Wenger. Cost-cutting at the expense of quality.

I couldnt agree more. I have been very disappointed by the Squillaci signing and what makes me fume more is that this sort of signing fuels that argument in my mind, that Wenger wants to use Arsenal to build the French squad.

Otherwise I'd like to think that Wenger wanted to rest the majority of the squad for the away trip to Birmingham, instead of him being arrogant in his approach to Wigan.

Our defense came unstuck today, yes its frustrating but we all know the nature of our defense. We were lucky not to concede more against Chelsea, unfortunately not this time.

Im disappointed not to see Sagna on the list of MOTM contenders. Great performance by him today. I give him MOTM joint with Wilshere.

Ratings.

Fabianski - 6
Sagna - 8 MOTM
Squillaci - 4
Koscielny - 5
Eboue - 5

Denilson - 5
Wilshere - 8 MOTM
Rosicky - 6

Arshavin - 5.5
Bendtner - 5.5
Chamakh - 6

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Fabianski 5

Sagna 6.5
Squillaci 3
Koscielny 5
Eboue 5

Denilson 2
Wilshere 7 MOTM
Rosicky 5

Arshavin 5
Chamakh 6
Bendtner 6

Yaya

Established Member
Fabianski-5
Sagna-6
squillaci-4
kos-5
eboue-2.5
Denilson-5
wilshere-7
rosicky-4
Arshavin-3 but an extra 2 for the goal and an assist so a 5 overall.
Chamakh-5.5
Bendtner-4+1=(5)

There is light

We didn't take our chances but tactically, wenger should have been proactive. We weren't able to pass it around in the second half and after 60 odd minutes, they were always in the game coming at us! Should have taken deni off and put djourou in, that's what i was expecting him to do. Rosicky was already playing deeper and games like these, you just have to defend better than we did even though we were denied a penalty and arshavin missed a great chance. Couldn't see a point in denilson playing the whole 90 minutes, when even his sideways passing was letting him down, awful losing these 2 points to naive tactics.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Emma, I think it's way too harsh to say that Shava
"sums up what's wrong with this team, one or two minutes of pure class and 98 mins of unadulterated crap"

I accept that as regards tracking back and defending he contributes zero but if he had been taken out of the equation last night where would the goals have come from?
I don't see any other of our players from last night as having the ability to score a goal like his first and even Bendy managed to score from the ball that Shava put at his feet.

He was not at fault for either of the goals that we conceded either.
To sum up - if he had not being playing we may well have lost.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Anzac said:
Agreed re the changes made - the players have been together long enough with our style that they should have been able to make the adjustments.

More concerned that he played 2 CFs up front particularly when 1 was coming back from injury & not match fit, and the other has been burnt out & needing a rest. As I said earlier I'd have thought that Vela would have offered better ball retention & movement, let alone having earlier been described as a natural goal scorer. Consequently I think part of the issue was that AW had limited his options regarding forward replacements, & I'd preferred to have seen a AA-Nik-Vela starting front line, with Chamkh, Nasri, Theo available off the bench.

Agreed

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Fabs 6 make alot of saves

Sagna 6
Kosh 6 Well chelsea game was more better
squillaci 4 awful
eboue 5 he cant play LB

Diaby not fit at all
Denny 4 awful lose too many balls
rozza 6 giving his best yesterday

arsh 6 well i give 6 just for the goal and for the assist but you done a bad game
B52 5
Chamakh 5 Where is chamakh you knew

Wilshere 7 change the game he deserve to be MOTM
Nasri - walcott N/A wenger wait alot to make the changes

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Could anybody sum up the game for me in a paragraph? haven't seen any of the game at all just know the result. Were we lucky/unlucky to come away with a point?

arsenallegends

Established Member
Subject to intepretation Truth, someone else could summate the game better than I can since I had it playing in the background.

We were unlucky in the sense that their first goal was result of a dive outside the box, rewarded as a penalty which was successfully converted.

In the 89th minute, a free kick by Nasri at the edge of the box hit (Mccarthy?) in the hand( hand to ball) inside the box yet we were rewarded with a big bag of ****.

Bendtner, Arshavin plus others had opportunities to get a third goal. (9 shots on target)

But make no mistake, Wigan were in our box on numerous occasions, at times countered us from dangerous positions and forced an amazing save from Fabianski.

arsenallegends

Established Member
Conceding a 9th goal from a set piece and in the last 10 minutes of the game (probably for the 6-7th time) is incredibly frustrating.

yuvken

Established Member
(I'll try to do better than a paragraph - i'll do one short sentence:)
The only reason we didn't win is that we didn't bother.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
All of a sudden Squid is a terrible signing when everyone said in November all 3 signings were good buys from Wenger. How time has changed

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
arsenallegends said:
Subject to intepretation Truth, someone else could summate the game better than I can since I had it playing in the background.

We were unlucky in the sense that their first goal was result of a dive outside the box, rewarded as a penalty which was successfully converted.

In the 89th minute, a free kick by Nasri at the edge of the box hit (Mccarthy?) in the hand( hand to ball) inside the box yet we were rewarded with a big bag of ****.

Bendtner, Arshavin plus others had opportunities to get a third goal. (9 shots on target)

But make no mistake, Wigan were in our box on numerous occasions, at times countered us from dangerous positions and forced an amazing save from Fabianski.

Thanks so it would be fair to say it was a pretty even game where Wigan got the rub of the green with refereeing decisions? and on another night where we were more clinical we would have wrapped it up?

Finally who scored our goals anybody? man going to try and find the game online as it's not often I haven't been able to analyse a game.

Top Bottom