• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings| EPL| Arsenal 1 Man United 0

outlaw_member

Established Member
I have high expectations for van Persie, so naturally a 7 wouldn't be as impressive for him as it would be for a lesser player. He is second to only Fabregas in terms of quality and standing, and in the Spaniards absence, it was up to him to lead us today. He managed the assist which got him a point above the -job well done- mark of 6 (should really have only been a 0.5 increase for an assist, but I'll let that slide.), but I didn't feel he offered enough given how much we saw of the ball. In terms of commitment, there were only a few who exerted as much effort as him. With the ball, he didn't play as well as I would have hoped.

It's also worth mentioning that with an inverted pyramid midfield set up, the forwards have to offer a greater individual threat, as there won't be a fourth attacker as there is in a pyramid shape. I was disappointed that our first choice attacking trio offered so little penetration, despite us controlling most of the game.

Mr Wolf

Too many posters harsh with Clichy, clearly he had an amazing game, has he become a scapegoat?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I can't and wont crab anyone after todays very satisfying win.

But I will say that we'd be a much MUCH better side in the future with two accomplished attacking fullbacks and a replacement for Song.

We'd have been home and dry by H/T if we had some craft from our fullbacks.

CandysRoom

Established Member
It's a quandary for sure but i think we need Sagna's stability at the back. Clichy is the one who i'd like to see performing better going forward.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Chesney-7 Solid, nothing too complicated to do.

Sagna- 7
Djourou-7
Koscielny-8
Clichy-7 Exceeded expectations.

Song-8 Did a good job, harsh booking
Wilshere-6 Below par i thought. Showed glimpses
Ramsey-9 So glad he's back

Walcott-7
Nasri-7
Rvp-7

Subs

Arshavin-8 Some real meaty tackles which was great to see.
Squallici-7 No calamities, one really good header.
Eboue-6 Ditto.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
CandysRoom said:
It's a quandary for sure but i think we need Sagna's stability at the back. Clichy is the one who i'd like to see performing better going forward.

A fully wound up Gibbs will be a big improvement on Clichy going forward. I look forward to the day. I'd maybe settle for lop-sided fullbacks, but I wouldn't mind a Dani Alves type in Sagna's place either!

yuvken

Established Member
Mr Wolf said:
Too many posters harsh with Clichy, clearly he had an amazing game, has he become a scapegoat?
That's news to you?
@outlaw - agree on the effort, and general assessment of VP. Agree less on his performance (and I must say it extends beyond this discussion and yourself): I'm amazed how little credit VP's been getting for his displays recently - he seems to be the most mature, flexible and desperate to win figure in the team. And with cesc's recent level - he's also the best. Yes, there is a point with wanting him to do the classic CF thing, and "be there" at all times.
But that's seeing it too narrow, particularly in the context of how our team plays. The goal today, the countless times you see him on the right/left/center mid, and still manage to be the most dangerous figure in our attacks.
It was just a few months back I expressed my wish to never see VP return to collect - it seemed to me it actually was hurting our potency, and his role as a CF. But I don't think so now: he's understanding and commanding of our game have become so good, I just trust him to do as he sees fit. More so than Cesc (yes, I mean it), who I loved thinking is beginning to play deep (maybe he'll learn something from Aaron in that).
As I'm already on it (and so you'd have more to have a go at), I'll say it clearly: Though Jack was a revelation, Nas was outstanding in the first half, and I am absolutely thrilled with Chez - VP is our player of the season (and no, I won't budge :) ). And I'm laughing thinking of all the talk "we should get rid of the glass man" a few months ago.

mo50

Established Member
I thought Clichy was excellent defensively, but going forward it was a typical Clichy performance. His brain switches off and he passes it in the middle of nowhere.

Against a side with dangerous wing play like United, we require more defensive stability at the back which he provided. But against 70% of the teams in the league, especially at home, having someone who is a genuine outlet would be a massive outlet next season. Hopefully Gibbs is given adequate playing time ala Eboue in 09/10 to further develop.

outlaw_member

Established Member
yuvken said:
Mr Wolf said:
That's news to you?
@outlaw - agree on the effort, and general assessment of VP. Agree less on his performance (and I must say it extends beyond this discussion and yourself): I'm amazed how little credit VP's been getting for his displays recently - he seems to be the most mature, flexible and desperate to win figure in the team. And with cesc's recent level - he's also the best. Yes, there is a point with wanting him to do the classic CF thing, and "be there" at all times.
But that's seeing it too narrow, particularly in the context of how our team plays. The goal today, the countless times you see him on the right/left/center mid, and still manage to be the most dangerous figure in our attacks.
It was just a few months back I expressed my wish to never see VP return to collect - it seemed to me it actually was hurting our potency, and his role as a CF. But I don't think so now: he's understanding and commanding of our game have become so good, I just trust him to do as he sees fit. More so than Cesc (yes, I mean it), who I loved thinking is beginning to play deep (maybe he'll learn something from Aaron in that).
As I'm already on it (and so you'd have more to have a go at), I'll say it clearly: Though Jack was a revelation, Nas was outstanding in the first half, and I am absolutely thrilled with Chez - VP is our player of the season (and no, I won't budge :) ). And I'm laughing thinking of all the talk "we should get rid of the glass man" a few months ago.

Maybe, it all boils down to how I most prefer a CF to perform. It has little to do with wanting a classic CF who is always inside the box, and in truth, anyone that limited would also face my wrath. I have no problem with van Persie roaming around just as long as it doesn't affect his goalscoring potential, which in the past it did to an extent. van Persie just doesn't enthrall me, if truth be told, although I am now very happy with him leading our line. Today, he showed some decent link up play, but nothing that really stood out for me. Where he does excel more than his counterparts is his willingness to show for the ball, and maybe that's what you mean about him popping up everywhere. That's something you can always expect from him.

Ding Dong

mo50 said:
I thought Clichy was excellent defensively, but going forward it was a typical Clichy performance. His brain switches off and he passes it in the middle of nowhere.
Apart from putting in one of the best crosses of the game, for the Walcott chance, you mean. :roll:

Raider

Established Member
Clichy could have very well cost us a penalty right at the death. thankfully the ref didn't give it... But what on earth was that kick on the back of Owens calf for?

He let Owen through and wasn't concentrating, so decided to take him out.

Far too often we see these silly things from the same players. Over the course of a season it's cost us a good number of points.

Raider

Established Member
I rewatched the match and the thing I remember more vividly than anything is the effort Jack put in.

He ran his little legs off today A* for effort young man.

Denilson would have jogged like he didn't have a care in the world.

ricky1985

Established Member
Even more impressive considering Jack looked dead on his feet after 40 minutes or so! He'll sleep well tonight, they all will.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
What a performance. If only this side could maintain some form of consistency, because we are miles ahead of the league in terms of individual talent.

Starting 11
Szczesny - 8
Top class keeper and is going to continue to get better which is scarey. If he was 35 now and had the same ability, i would still think he was a top class player. Stands big and continues to organise the defence which Almunia struggled to do

Sagna - 8
Our squads best defender. Provided and outlet in attack but as always, never gave an inch in defence.

Djourou - 7.5
Sums him up really. Fantastic player, but injury prone. He is so good under pressure and has become a beast in the air.

Koscienly - 8
I rate this lad enourmoursly and think he will be something special in years to come. Always turns up for the big games but still needs some time to adjust mentally to the rigours of English football when up against lower opposition. Is so strong for his size and anticipates better then almost any defender in the league.

Clichy - 8
Was suspect at times in defence, but if he puts that effort in every week i wont care. Attacked the ball like he used to hand has finally realised that with his speed, there is no need to dive in. Made Nani look second rate.

Song - 8.5
For one of the first times this season, he was so so disciplined. Not once did i see him sniffing around their 18-yard box trying to get on the score sheet. Stayed back and protected the back four immensely. Commited fouls at the right time and his scuffle with Rooney and co showed some passion.

Ramsey - 8
Not everyhting he did came off, but a magnificent effort all the same. Has some fantastic vision and was always involved, keeping things ticking over. He is exactly what we are missing in our midfield, a player with natural instints to get themself in the ox and that knows where the back of the net is when he gets there.

Wilshere - 8
What passion! I was so pumped at halftime, seeing him confront Evra and not take his ****. Worked his backside off and like Ramsey, whilst not everything came off, he wore his heart on his sleave. Finally a tenacious player that we have been lacking.

Nasri - 6.5
Was quiet without being poor. Few nice touches, drew defenders in but never really did alot of damage. Has had a long season though so this can be understood.

Walcott - 7
Really starting to grow. In the past, in these types of matches, Evra would of marked Theo out of the game and made him a spectator. Tonight however, he put in a shift, delivered some quality balls into the area and looked a hreat at all times. Did his job defensively and seems to be able to perform now against opposition with a quick left back.

Van Persie - 7.5
Always gives quality and can turn a match with a single moment. Never going to be easy against the United defence but never stopped working and moving. Dropped a little deep at times but set up the goal and captained the side extremely well, better then what Fabregas often does.

Substitutions
Arshavin - 8
Wow. Worked his back side off, won challenges and had a zip about his movement that he been missing this season.

Squillaci - 7
Great performance and that might shut some of his critics up. For a 4th choice centre half, you will not do much better. Players like Senderos, Cygan and Silvestre have had his role in the past and been absolutely attrocious. For his squad status he is a top central defender and with Vermaleen back next season and a top flight year in England under his belt, he will be even more reliable when called upon.

Eboue - 7
Kept the ball. Assisted Sagna. Never wasted position. Was sound positionally. Perfect performance based on the balance of the game and the lead we were defending.

The Macnhester derby is back! With Wilshere and Song both showing how much this match meant, my hatred for United began to grow once again. Will be praying this lot don't win the title and glad that we had our say. Top night!

EE27

Szczney- 7.5- Decent saves from Nani and Rooney. His kicking has improved immensely, he is getting an extra 15 yards on his clearances compared to two months ago. Still needs to learn a bit about wasting time to protect a lead and close out games.

Sagna- 7.5- got up and down the flank quite, defended consistently well, poor final delivey from crosses.

Koscielny- 8- Carried the ball out of the defence brilliantly once or twice(almost Kolo-esque), read the game excellently and his tackling was top notch.

Djourou- 8- Aerially Johan is our best centre half, he was comfortable on the ball and is good positionally. Our best defender this season, without doubt.

Clichy- 6.5- Decent performance, got forward well but his crossing was average. Defensively he should have been penalised for his challenge on Owen and on one occasion he allowed Nani too much space on our left and Chicarito almost gpt a flick from the cross.

Wilshere-7- Tenacious performance, sloppy at times and his shooting needs serious work. Got stuck in though, good to see.

Ramsey- 8.5- MOTM by a country mile. Excellent passing, great vision, great from an organisational point of view and crisp passing in the congested midfield. Cesc's ready made replacement when the Captain leaves.

Song-8- Love this guy's attitude. His use of the ball in tight spaces has improved considerably this season, while he tackled brilliantly.Alex negated Rooneys threat by giving him no space.

Walcott- 7.5- Showed why he can be a big player for us. Utd were terrified by his pace, he nearly got in behind them once or twice and he carried the ball quite well. Good performance.

RVP- 7.5- Brought others into play quite well but the guy is no centre forward. An excellent player no doubt, but at times we need someone in the box when Robin drifts out wide or into midfield. Nice assist, delighted for this guy because he clearly loves our Club.

Nasri- 5.5- Poor performance, got on the ball a fair bit but to no avail but he has lost form since Febuary.

Subs:
Arshavin- 7.5- Great workrate, terrific attitude. Lackadasical and outmuscled on the ball once or twice but I forgive him because of his obvious desire to get the result.

Squillaci- 6- Typical performance. He nearly always plays decently for 99% of a game but there is always a mistake ready to happen when Squillaci is around. He tackled Rooney(?) half heartedly and Utd should have scored from that attack.(Rooney should have played Berbatov in instead of Nani).

Eboue- 7- Did what was expected of him without any fuss. Assured display from the Ivorian.

Spork

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
I agree Sneezy could have kicked away less at the end (his 'time-wasting' was good in general though), but still a very assured performance otherwise.

Haha, his time wasting tactics were awesome, I was thinking about how mad I'd be if it was the other way around and VDS was doing the same. It's a cruel game when you are 1-0 down.

I'm sticking with my Arsenal 10 Man U 0 rating.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Mr Wolf said:

I think its actually somewhere in the middle. He was ok. Nothing amazing but nothing bad either.

justinmitchell

Ding Dong said:
mo50 said:
Apart from putting in one of the best crosses of the game, for the Walcott chance, you mean. :roll:
The fella ought to cross on his chocolate leg more! Already two assists on his right leg this season... none on his left?

VancouverCanuck

I just want to call out Arshavin's inspiring performance today. I was extremely worried when he first came on because he is usually a liability defensively. But his performance today totally proved me wrong: did he really make 4 or 5 sliding tackles since he came on?!? That's more tackles than he's made all season. :) Overall, his work-rate was the best I have seen him all season. Additionally, he didn't give away the ball cheaply at all.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom