• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings thread: Norwich vs Arsenal

eye4goal

Established Member
Szczesney 7

Koscielny 6 Does not look a RB. Norwich got players through afew times on his side and I don't think he offered enough going forward

Vermaelen 8 Excellent especially in set-piece situations towards the end. You rarely see such a warrior of a player who is also an excellent footballer. It is usually one or the other

Mertesacker 6 Poor game. Jury still out

Santos 7 Key to moving to the ball forward especially in the first half. Made 60 successfull passes compared to Song(43) Arteta (64) and Ramsey (62)

Song 6.5 Gets an extra mark for the run and (decision to)pass to RVP. Otherwise a tired performance

Arteta 7 Slightly below par but passing was solid as ever 89%. Also made 6 of our total of 17 interceptions.

Ramsey 6.5 Worked hard but not as influential as of late

Gervinho 6 Excellent outside the box but poor finishing. Still great to watch

Walcott 7
Getting himself more involved in games. Unlucky not to score

RVP 8.5 A joy to watch. Technically he is just perfect. His second was less easy than he made it look

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Irish_Owen said:
So, am I the only one that thinks bar Mertersacker's mistake, he was very solid over large periods of the game?
I think I remember seeing at least one more mistake and getting caught out of position at least once (which is VERY unusual for him), but otherwise did ok. I'm sure he'll rebound.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
godfather said:
I'd gave Arteta a 6.7 :wink:
I think it was closer to 6.65 to be honest, remember when he made that pass to a Norwich player, that's definitely minus 0.05 points :wink:

Vela

Established Member
Szczesny - 6
Santos - 6
Mertersacker - 5
Verm - 7.5
Kos - 6.5
Song - 6
Arteta - 6
Ramsey - 6.5
Walcott - 7.5
Gervinho - 6
RVP - 8

Yossi - 6
JD - 6

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
RUS arsenal said:
godfather said:
I'd gave Arteta a 6.7 :wink:
I think it was closer to 6.65 to be honest, remember when he made that pass to a Norwich player, that's definitely minus 0.05 points :wink:

So untrue. I give him extra .23 for the perfect hair :)

yuvken

Established Member
CandysRoom said:
He's a class act. Think we're gonna have to get used to this. Hope it doesn't cost us the game when he's eventually caught.
I said this a while ago: we have to accept this is how it is, even if we don't wish to accept it. And I also agree all we can hope for is that it doesn't cost us a game, because he will get caught. I'm not even sure that'll be enough to straighten him up.

Mert - he did have a poor game, but I'm not too worried (same for Teta, though "poor" may be too much in his case). But it does strengthen my tendency to prefer KosTV unless some special concern is about.

Theo - Best game in a while. Even more than that: beginning to establish himself as a "player for real". I was not sure he'd ever get there, but if he keeps this level and attitude - just great.

Many question marks obviously about Ger's finishing. What can be done? intensive training for this? psych? there's a really good footballer there, and we're denied the (full extent of) the fruit.

Yossi: Don't know how many noticed that, but he came on when we were just about getting really nervous we can drop points in a game that should have been finished much earlier. And all he really did is help get the sting out of the game (or - be the opposite of Gerv, which, at that point, was spot on). I was negative about him, but I'm beginning to reconsider: he doesn't have a major role, but he's intelligent, selfless and reliable.

Song bashing: wasn't great, ok (more first half), but - would any of you who thought he was really poor consider taking him off? for me, even granted - wasn't one of his best games - he'd be on par with TV and Chez for the last one on the list (after we were 2:1 up). I'd wet my pants if he was taken off in the final 20. He's that important to us. And criticizing him for the assist - that's too much. He's not the greatest passer, but he does have his share of assists - not easy ones, many at crucial times. In other words: some of our players are positive contributors even when not at their best. give'em a break.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
TV pure boss performance:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2mwhYSQlIY&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2mwhYSQ ... e=youtu.be</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Just wanna say that Vermaelen is easily the most underrated defender, if not player, in the entire league.

RVP is world class at the moment, but Vermaelen is doing everything just as well at the other end. Easily the best defender in the league in my book.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Szczesny 6

Koscielny 7
Mertesacker 5
Vermaelen 8 MOTM
Santos 6

Song 5
Arteta 6
Ramsey 6

Walcott 7
Van Persie 8
Gervinho 7

AFC-Phil

Established Member
Dokaka said:
Just wanna say that Vermaelen is easily the most underrated defender, if not player, in the entire league.

RVP is world class at the moment, but Vermaelen is doing everything just as well at the other end. Easily the best defender in the league in my book.

I disagree.

One aspect of Vermaelen's play that needs improvement is his positional play. It has improved since the 09/10 season, but there's still room for improvement in this regard.

As for him being the PL's best CB, Man Utd's Ferdinand & Vidic ontop of Kompany all have a case for being better. Personally, I think he's better than the (Overrated) Kompany, but I rate the other two more than him.

There is a case for Jagielka as the PL's most underrated defender, but I do agree that Vermaelen is underrated by most non-gooners.

I don't agree that he's world class yet. The level of performances have been there, but he's still only had one season at that level and needs to maintain it for a bit longer before I would put him there. Longevity is yet to be completely proven.

I still love him mind you. His raw passion, aggression and style on the ball are all exciting to watch, but he needs to do it for more than a season before i'd put him up there with the likes of Vidic, Ferdinand and T.Silva.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
Ferdinand is definitely not on the same level as Vermaelen now. Brilliant a few years ago, but age and injuries have caught up with him and he's struggling now (albeit still a very good defender).

Even Vidic doesn't have anywhere near the same quality on the ball as Thomas. I genuinely think Vermaelen is an elite defender (who admittedly needs to show longevity).

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Dokaka said:

Been thinking the same myself recently. Maybe its understandable given he's been injured for so long and Arsenal's reputation as being brittle defensively, but i honestly think he's the best in the league and would start for any team in the world.

I wish people would quit the "only one world class player" crap too, we have at least 2 imo.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:
Ferdinand is definitely not on the same level as Vermaelen now. Brilliant a few years ago, but age and injuries have caught up with him and he's struggling now (albeit still a very good defender).

Even Vidic doesn't have anywhere near the same quality on the ball as Thomas. I genuinely think Vermaelen is an elite defender (who admittedly needs to show longevity).

You're right that both Ferdinand and Vidic have already peaked. Ferdinand in the 07/08 season where he was simply magnificent. Bar Cristiano Ronaldo, he was Man Utd's best player that year. He was truly outstanding. Vidic reached his peak the season after where Man Utd didn't reach the same heights, but he was a constant in an ever changing defence and drove them to the title. They won 11 1-0s that season, and a lot was down to Vidic. Hell, he made Evans look like a world beater that season.

However, they are both still top class IMO. Vidic isn't back to his 08/09 level, but he's still very, very good. Ferdinand has looked shaky recently, and he is undoubtedly plagued by injuries. He was heavily criticised ater the 1-6 result, but it's easy to remember that he was Man Utd's MOTM a couple of weeks earlier against L'pool. For reading of the game, anticipation and intercepting the ball, he's the best there is bar no one.

Even in their CL final battering, Vidic & Ferdinand were Man Utd's two best players on the pitch and they were the reason the score was kept down.

FWIW, Vermaelen is a mile ahead of both, particularly Vidic, on the ball. He's right up there with Pique as the best CB in the world with the ball, and comfortably the best in the PL with Agger a distant second IMO.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Fair points AFC-Phil, I do agree that he needs to show longevity to truly be considered to be on-par with the very best. I would, however, rather have Vermaelen on my team than any other CB in the world because of what he offers as a player. As mention in other posts he's brilliant on the ball and could EASILY play as a DM, or perhaps even a box-to-box CM.

You mention Agger, whome he really reminds me of. Agger is also quite underrated if you ask me, and I think he's wasted at Liverpool, albeit he's had a lot of injuries.

Anyway, back on topic :)

Walcott had an excellent game. He's really coming into his own; his shooting is superb and his decision-making seems to have improved quite a lot. If Wenger ( or perhaps a new manager come 2012) decides to shop for the possibility of going to a 4-4-2 formation, you'd have one hell of a striker duo in RVP and Walcott.

DanielVale

Dokaka said:
Fair points AFC-Phil, I do agree that he needs to show longevity to truly be considered to be on-par with the very best. I would, however, rather have Vermaelen on my team than any other CB in the world because of what he offers as a player. As mention in other posts he's brilliant on the ball and could EASILY play as a DM, or perhaps even a box-to-box CM.

You mention Agger, whome he really reminds me of. Agger is also quite underrated if you ask me, and I think he's wasted at Liverpool, albeit he's had a lot of injuries.

Anyway, back on topic :)

Walcott had an excellent game. He's really coming into his own; his shooting is superb and his decision-making seems to have improved quite a lot. If Wenger ( or perhaps a new manager come 2012) decides to shop for the possibility of going to a 4-4-2 formation, you'd have one hell of a striker duo in RVP and Walcott.

Did I ever say I like West Ham supporters? :p

ricky1985

Established Member
Watched the game again this evening:

Szczesny - he was rock solid. I've seen a few commenting on his kicking, I myself was worried a few times when it went back to him and he took his sweet time, but it was absolutely fine and it was just the nerves of watching it live affecting me. I have no problem with him pulling off the odd dummy when it's the right thing to do - and in the Norwich game it was.

Koscielny - was good defensively, as you'd expect, not terrible going forward, but wasted a few opportunities to hurt them on the break/overlap that Jenkinson or even Sagna might have exploited.

Mertesacker - bad mistake for the goal, was pushed but he's got to be stronger than that. I think it's an issue of poor balance that causes most of his problems at the moment, but he's made a career at the very highest level despite that limitation, and I fully expect him to adapt and manage that issue in England. I also think he's a centreback that needs to build a good undertsanding with his centreback partner. He needs to know what they're going to do so he can anticipate what's going to happen and position himself accordingly. It took a little while for him and Koscielny to build that understanding. And he did a lot of things very well other than a few dodgy moments.

Vermaelen - absolutely outstanding. Completely dominant on the ground and in the air. What I liked most about his game, and where I think he has made the step up to the next level, is his reading of the game and how that allows him to always be there on the cover and to organise those around him to prevent dangerous situations from unfolding. You can't underestimate what having defenders who make those around them play better, that make the team function better as a unit, can do for the team. Thomas was an exceptional defender from the moment he first pulled on the shirt, but he's a proper organiser now, and, because of that, I really think he's the best defender in the League.

Santos - brilliant on the ball. His control and passing under pressure would not be out of place playing as a fullback in Barcelona's side - it's that good. But he's so slapdash defensively. He just takes far too many chances with early tackles and interceptions and he gets it wrong far too often. He was lucky Vermaelen was the guy playing next to him yesterday - against better teams that won't be enough.

Song - worked his nuts off as per usual, but he's got to stop with this constant holding of the ball. He has easy passes on left, right and centre and yet he holds and holds until he either manages to scramble the ball away, with no real advantage gained, or worse, loses it and is then caught ahead of the ball. It's got to stop.

Arteta - worked very hard, but was poor in possession. A really laboured performance. Think the two weeks of inactivity affected him a bit.

Ramsey - like the other two midfielders, Aaron ran his socks off, and then some, but his touch seemed a little heavy/clumsy at times, and he was a little lapse in his passing. Still yet to see his devastating shooting since the return from injury, it's a matter of time, though. Looked a little leggy, too.

Walcott - sensational. Every facet of his game was good.

Gervinho - Infuriating, but absolutely roasted the Norwich right back, Naughton, over and over again. Goes without saying that he needs to improve his finishing, but there's a devastating player in there.

van Persie - classy from the captain. Missed a couple of early opportunities, but his touch with his back to goal, his link play, and his movement were all absolutely top class - and another two goals, what more can you say?

Subs

Benayoun - kept the ball really well.

Floating

Established Member
One thing that Vermaelen has, aside from his leap, recovery pace and incredible tackling, is superb determination and concentration. He looks 100% focused, determined, and intense for the entire game, every game. It's really reassuring and inspiring to watch.

mistaT

Established Member
Don't want to take anything away from Vermalean but Kompany is lights out too, and can play some very elegant passes as well.

If Gervinho ever gets his finishing sorted out :shock:

ricky1985

Established Member
I'd take Vermaelen over Kompany every day of the week and twice on Sundays - and I think Kompany's a very good player. Vermaelen's just better.

Top Bottom