• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings | UCL | Marseille 0 Arsenal 1

cuban

Established Member
Kos MOTM by far...Jenks, Rosa and Song had a good games rest were from average to poor...credit to our subs...all did well and Gervais changed the game with Rambo

Segway

Yeah the subs were excellent when they came in. Koscielny was a beast in our backline and I love Jenkinson's heart and his willingness to bomb forward. There's a lot of room for improvement but he really gave it his all last night. Arteta, Rosicky, Walcott and especially Arshavin had shocking games offensively. No one was willing to run in behind thus leaving RvP with all the work to do on his own. It might have been because Wenger had instructed them to play a cautious game though. It all adds up to this:

Szczesny: 6

Jenkinson: 7
Mertesacker: 6.5
Koscielny: 8
Santos: 6 - Marseille really targeted him in the opening 25-30 minutes and he was found out on more than one occasion but no huge **** up and he grew as the game went on.

Song: 6.5 - Our best midfielder but too many misplaced passes. However, it says it all when he looks our most creative passer.
Rosicky: 4.5
Arteta: 5

Walcott: 5
Arshavin: 4
RvP: 6

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Szscesny 7
Jenkinson 6
Mertesacker 7.5
Koscielny 8.5
Santos 6
Song 6
Arteta 5
Rosicky 6
Arshavin 3
Walcott 3
RVP 6

Djourou 7
Ramsey 8
Gervinho 6

fabo

6.51 / 10
Szczesny.........6..........little to do.

Jenkinson..........7........his posture is similar to my Grandad tbh, but plenty of heart tonight. Needs to recycle possession more often when the cross isn't on though. Ayew is a clown.
Mertesacker...........7........another solid performance, beaten once or twice but did alot of positive stuff.
Koscielny..........8.....MOTM....bet Koscielny wishes he could play CL sides every week, sadly for him he's facing a Yakubu or Crouch in PL games. Had a very strong game, plenty of interceptions and read the intentions of that fat bastard Gignac who was looking to get him sent off, Koscielny was on the turn so the ref made a good call.
Santos...........6.....fitness again an issue. Has that Brazilian arrogance in his passing aswell, him and Song sometimes need to play it simple.

Song..........6......OK, lots of sloppy bits and some good play too. Typical Song performance. Song is at his best when he keeps it simple, tries to be too smart too often.
Arteta..........7......I thought Arteta had a good game tbh, quiet first half but excellent on the ball throughout and defended brilliantly second half.
Rosicky...........6.......decent match.

Walcott............4.....awful again. And missed a sitter.
RVP..........6......starved of any service until late on.
Arshavin...........4......awful

Gervinho..........6......added some spark to the attack. He makes so many mistakes but is comfortable taking players on consistently. And his miscontrol lead to the goal........:lol:.....set up RVP for a good chance too.
Ramsey........6.....superb finish. One of the few players who give you some confidence in the box, he knows where the net is.
Djourou..........6.......worried when he came on but he was solid, won every 50:50 and played the cross for the goal. Booked for a nothing tackle too but Marseille's tactics seemed to be about trying to get us down to 10, can't wait to get these ****s back to our place.

mccroix

fabo said:
Koscielny..........8.....MOTM....bet Koscielny wishes he could play CL sides every week, sadly for him he's facing a Yakubu or Crouch in PL games.
1macca1 said:
yuvken said:
Edit: and agree with enl on Merte. he's in complete contrast to the point above - Mr. stable and safe (sometimes too safe, like hoofing what we really should hold, but I'm ok with that)

I thought we saw a glimpse of how poor he can be against tricky players. He got skinned in our own box by Remy during the first half and looked shaky another time a few minutes after. Rest of his game was solid.

Agree 100%
Therefore when our first 3 CBs are fit I'd play Vermaelen and Kos against technically strong teams, such as Barca.
I'd then play Merte and Verm against the Stokes and Blackburns.

I just don't trust Merte in 1 on 1s. He's good in the air and reliable. But as soon as someone runs at him he looks horrible

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Once again Arteta was the player with the most passes and the best passing accuracy on the pitch, he's doing a really good job in the middle third and he's very solid defensively. Think we'll struggle if he gets injured or needs a rest because we don't have any good alternatives for the DLP role.

Proof

Established Member
Szczesny - 7

Jenkinson - 7
Mertesacker - 7
Koscielny - 8 MotM
Santos - 6

Song - 7.5
Arteta - 7
Rosicky - 7

Walcott - 5
Van Persie - 6
Arshavin - 4

dave_rwr

Established Member
fabo said:
Jenkinson..........7........his posture is similar to my Grandad tbh, but plenty of heart tonight. Needs to recycle

:lol: So true. Strangest looking kid with the funniest jockeying body shape. Actually makes me chuckle every time he's on screen.

Think ratings are pretty much where I'd have them. But do want to make one more comment about Walcott. Seriously, if he wants to be a striker so badly, he absolutely had to put those chances away. When you're eight yards out, if you're a "natural striker", you bury those every time.

mo50

Established Member
makaveli tha don said:
I just don't trust Merte in 1 on 1s. He's good in the air and reliable. But as soon as someone runs at him he looks horrible

This is the first game I can recall him being skinned so easily, its not a regular occurence. I don't think its too big of an issue. If we can stop playing with such a ridiculously high line he'll be alright.

It'll be interesting to see who partners Vermaelen. Wenger was recently quoted as saying something along the lines of Mertesacker is a top class player, while Koscielny is going to become one, which may hint that Mertesacker could be favoured. If Koscielny can play like he did last night, he definitely deserves to start. What a big performance from him, and I'm not his biggest fan.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
makaveli tha don said:
DJ_Markstar said:
ebouenolike said:
I thought Merte was better than Rosicky personally. Been pleasantly surprised with the big German.

Hate to say I told you so :wink:

Now can everyone listen to me when I say that Cahill isn't good enough for us. Thanks 8))

seriously what game were you watching, I don't know how many times Merte was abused and just stumbled and fell to the ground

Err, don't know what game you were watching or, in fact, what player you've been watching but he wasn't abused at all and has been solid since we bought him

JoeyGooner

I agree, Per's been solid for us. I personally think that the reason people aren't completely assured by him is that he's a bit clumsy looking, being so tall and slow, the exact opposite of the rest of our team, but he and Kos seem to complement each other decently.

mccroix

DJ_Markstar said:
Err, don't know what game you were watching or, in fact, what player you've been watching but he wasn't abused at all and has been solid since we bought him

He got skinned and even stumbled to the ground because he lost his balance at least 2 or 3 times against Remy, Gignac and Valbuena :roll: .
I'm talking about Marseille...he's been solid up to now

just type in "Mertesacker Gignac" in google/videos. And there was plenty of that

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
fabo said:
Koscielny..........8.....MOTM....bet Koscielny wishes he could play CL sides every week, sadly for him he's facing a Yakubu or Crouch in PL games. Had a very strong game, plenty of interceptions and read the intentions of that fat bastard Gignac who was looking to get him sent off, Koscielny was on the turn so the ref made a good call.
I'm all for wanting our players to improve and for them wanting to improve, but you're too much :lol: By the way, does this mean we have to wait 9 games until his next decent performance? :lol:

fabo

6.51 / 10
9 games? I've been waiting since Barcelona at home for Koscielny to have another excellent game!

Dortmund was good but first half he made a number of errors, Newcastle away was also a solid game from him I guess, maybe United at home a few months ago aswell.

amirkat

Established Member
qs said:
amirkat said:
Koscielny
Song
Rosicky

played well IMO. The rest were average.

What did Rosicky do? He was the attacking midfield and he didn't play one good ball all night. He's terrible.

Well, others have answered now but I thought Rosicky played rather well on Tuesday. Passing was concise and forward, the only one looking for RvP in the final third. He worked hard in keeping and winning back possession of the ball. And tbh, it looked like it was Song and Rosicky playing deeper than Arteta for the majority of the match, and it was Arteta who was below-par. I remember one point where he threw his hands up in the air in frustration when he once again passed the ball to the fullback.

Koscielny and Song are self-explanatory.

cuban

Established Member
fabo said:
9 games? I've been waiting since Barcelona at home for Koscielny to have another excellent game!

Dortmund was good but first half he made a number of errors, Newcastle away was also a solid game from him I guess, maybe United at home a few months ago aswell.

not sure what are your standards tbf...vs Barcelona he was 9,9/10...that wasn't 1 in 10 game...that was 1 in 100 or more...he has had plenty of very good games since then, Marseille game was actually nowhere near that (Barcelona) level...

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
makaveli tha don said:
DJ_Markstar said:

He got skinned and even stumbled to the ground because he lost his balance at least 2 or 3 times against Remy, Gignac and Valbuena :roll: .
I'm talking about Marseille...he's been solid up to now

just type in "Mertesacker Gignac" in google/videos. And there was plenty of that

I did, he gets turned once by a good turn by Valbuena, and lost his balance against Gignac in a far from threatening area. Remy also beats him in the second half. To describe that as "being abused" is ridiculous. It wasn't exactly a vintage performance, but it was hardly Drogba vs. Senderos territory :lol:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
If a tricky pacey forward/midfielder can't expect to "turn" a lumbering centreback then you'd have to be Theo Walcott! Oh cruel! That's the perfect match up for the attacking player, particularly when the "lumbering" centreback is caught out of position. So IMO, the fact that Mertesacker got skinned once or twice in a game is neither here nor there, it's expected!

Top Bottom