• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul Sanllehi has left Arsenal

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

It’s no wonder we don’t have much money when we get trapped into fkin swap deals for Alexis, allow players to leave on a free.
Our selling badly needs to be addressed

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Really seems backwards setting up this structure before putting the technical director in place.

Its a structure set up by Ivan & then everyone bumped up a level when he jumped ship.

What if the technical director is not a fan of Emery, the scouting team etc. Why not appoint the technical director early to build his vision rather than Ivans?

BobP

Memri Fan
Really seems backwards setting up this structure before putting the technical director in place.

Its a structure set up by Ivan & then everyone bumped up a level when he jumped ship.

What if the technical director is not a fan of Emery, the scouting team etc. Why not appoint the technical director early to build his vision rather than Ivans?

Weren't there rumours that we were planning to promote Mislintat to that role?

Nothing else to do I suppose but pray Emery is the man for the job if the first tweet is true.

Otherwise, this smacks of us being the DCEU of football. Blindly copying what worked for someone else without fully understanding the context of their situation vs the context of ours and the nuances involved

I'd share your concerns if Emery had complete control over our transfer activity, but he doesn't. The likes of Sanllehi and Mislintat outrank him and will probably have a bigger say when it comes to our transfer activity.

ptrcopp

I hope they are bold enough in the transfer market and out as much pressure to get funds as possible.

The problem we have is that we are in only a slightly better position Liverpool were in when Klopp took over. Significant investment needed in every area of the squad

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Nothing else to do I suppose but pray Emery is the man for the job if the first tweet is true.

Otherwise, this smacks of us being the DCEU of football. Blindly copying what worked for someone else without fully understanding the context of their situation vs the context of ours and the nuances involved
They're not blindly copying anything. They're giving the manager time, unlike some on here they don't expect miracles overnight.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Weren't there rumours that we were planning to promote Mislintat to that role?

Everyone seems to be promoted since Ivan moved. Very early into their existing roles here as well.

Maybe always the long term option but also just the cheap easy one as well.

BobP

Memri Fan
Everyone seems to be promoted since Ivan moved. Very early into their existing roles here as well.

Maybe always the long term option but also just the cheap easy one as well.

It's easier to find a new chief scout than it is to find a technical director who is in alignment with the club.

Also, judging by this:

He was one of the people behind bringing the Footbonaut to Dortmund, backing the idea of schooling players in a 20x20-metre cage with machines firing footballs towards them at different speeds and trajectories.

During Dortmund's Klopp years, he also sat in the stands during the games, taking notes on his tablet, and then rushing down to the dressing room a few minutes before half-time to edit videos on what was good and what wasn't during the first half.

Earlier this year, it was reported that Mislintat is also the co-founder of Matchmetrics, a German start-up that, according to the company's website, provides "the most sophisticated big data analytics in professional football."

http://www.espn.com.au/soccer/club/...is-the-ex-dortmund-chief-scout-now-at-arsenal

Mislintat is well suited for the job.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
They're not blindly copying anything. They're giving the manager time, unlike some on here they don't expect miracles overnight.

The references to Klopp suggest otherwise. Its like they think if they give a manager 3 seasons we're suddenly going to transform into Liverpool.

Liverpool's owners invested money and also used the money from Suarez and Coutinho sales to buy players.

You saw Ornstein's tweet about loan deals and you know how tight fisted Kroenke is. Unless we plan to sell Lacazette/Aubameyang/Torreira where is the money to invest the squad going to come from?

There is much more to Liverpool's success than simply giving a manager 3 years to do whatever. I'm not even touching on the fact that Emery isn't Klopp and the list of managers who have failed at big clubs is a lengthy one.

Emery should be assessed at the end of each season and allowed to stay on based on the team's performances. I've said it a dozen times but I do not like the idea of giving Emery or any manager time as of right. I don't want him sacked now but at the same time I don't like how we're playing. We haven't led a game at half time and have an awful defensive record. That doesn't scream give him 3 years to build to me.

Look all I want is an asterisk next to that "give him time to build a side" statement. * If an improvement in team performances and results are achieved season after season. Is that really too much to ask for?

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
The references to Klopp suggest otherwise. Its like they think if they give a manager 3 seasons we're suddenly going to transform into Liverpool.
They’re just using Koop as an example of a manager who needed time. And I don’t know what you mean by suddenly transform into Liverpool. Their team is the result of an evolution of their squad over 3 years, the Arsenal hierarchy are obviously hoping that giving Emery multiple windows will yield similar results.
Liverpool's owners invested money and also used the money from Suarez and Coutinho sales to buy players.
The Suarez money was spent on Markovic, Lallana, Lambert, Balotelli and other dross by Rodgers.

The rest of your post is full of assumptions. Nobody said give him 3 years guaranteed without any accountability. When people say give him time, they mean don’t scream for him to be sacked after a blip that followed a long unbeaten run. People always give Klopp excuses for some of the embarrassing losses he suffered early on with Rodgers’ squad but never give Emery the benefit of the doubt. Klopp’s impact on Liverpool early on is also vastly overstated IMO, they were a high intensity pressing team under Rodgers and signed players fit for purpose.

There’s only so much Emery can do with Wenger’s squad, he needs a summer window with a new sponsorship deal and hopefully CL money to sign a few more defenders and a winger. We’ll see next season what Emery’s team is actually about.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I think Sven/Raul got punk’d by Emery with all that nonsense about playing exciting/attacking football when in reality our football looks closer to Mourinhos.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
It's easier to find a new chief scout than it is to find a technical director who is in alignment with the club.

Also, judging by this:

Mislintat is well suited for the job.

Am with you here. I'd rather promote Mislintat who has been at the club for a while and has massive pedigree and recoginzed ability to Technical Director /DoF. As Head of Recruitment he hasn't been a mere Chief Scout anyway. So I'd get in a new Chief Scout working under him.

With the apparent shift to homegrown talent that transfermarkt insider talked about as well as the more english talent like Sancho, Nelson, Hudson Odoi, Sessegnon, etc. coming through, there's surely a Chief Scout at a lower table or Championship club that could be poached. Wasn't there talk earlier this or last season Arsenal hired a scout from Fulham or something?

Found it, it was Leicester:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/news/arsenal-hire-leicester-citys-scout_266051.html

But then there was this:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/09/arsenal-wrong-scout-leicester-gary-lineker

Turns out Walsh is out of a job right now:
"On 21 July 2016, he returned to his native North West England, joining his brother's former team Everton as Director of Football, signed by their new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.[6] In November 2017, Walsh's job was reported as under pressure. Everton had spent £150 million on new players over the summer but found themselves in danger of relegation and were eliminated from the UEFA Europa League. [7] On May 16th 2018, Walsh was relieved of his duties, being replaced by Marcel Brands.[8]" [ from wiki]

Why not sign Walsh or someone like him as Head of Recruitment and promote Mislintat to DoF/Technical Director?

Apart from Walsh there's surely other guys at the likes of Southampton, Fulham, etc. that could be nicked with a nice offer of Arsenal Chief Scout/Head of Recruitment who know their way around the english youth leagues/academies.

Sanllehi - Football/Sports CEO
Mislintat - Technical Director​
Luccasen - Head of Development Mertesacker - Head of Academy ??? - Head of Recruitment

Makes sense to me.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Am with you here. I'd rather promote Mislintat who has been at the club for a while and has massive pedigree and recoginzed ability to Technical Director /DoF. As Head of Recruitment he hasn't been a mere Chief Scout anyway. So I'd get in a new Chief Scout working under him.

With the apparent shift to homegrown talent that transfermarkt insider talked about as well as the more english talent like Sancho, Nelson, Hudson Odoi, Sessegnon, etc. coming through, there's surely a Chief Scout at a lower table or Championship club that could be poached. Wasn't there talk earlier this or last season Arsenal hired a scout from Fulham or something?

Found it, it was Leicester:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/news/arsenal-hire-leicester-citys-scout_266051.html

But then there was this:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/09/arsenal-wrong-scout-leicester-gary-lineker

Turns out Walsh is out of a job right now:
"On 21 July 2016, he returned to his native North West England, joining his brother's former team Everton as Director of Football, signed by their new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.[6] In November 2017, Walsh's job was reported as under pressure. Everton had spent £150 million on new players over the summer but found themselves in danger of relegation and were eliminated from the UEFA Europa League. [7] On May 16th 2018, Walsh was relieved of his duties, being replaced by Marcel Brands.[8]" [ from wiki]

Why not sign Walsh or someone like him as Head of Recruitment and promote Mislintat to DoF/Technical Director?

Apart from Walsh there's surely other guys at the likes of Southampton, Fulham, etc. that could be nicked with a nice offer of Arsenal Chief Scout/Head of Recruitment who know their way around the english youth leagues/academies.
Everton made some awful signings when Walsh was there. Klaessen and Ramirez were disasters and Keane and Sigurdsson haven`t exactly been great.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Everton made some awful signings when Walsh was there. Klaessen and Ramirez were disasters and Keane and Sigurdsson haven`t exactly been great.

I know - it's in the text I quoted from wiki. That's why I said that besides Walsh there's surely other guys.

On the other hand we can't really say who was behind Leicester's great signings for sure. We poached that Wigglesworth guy two years ago but I don't see any big influence of him - transfers only started to kind of change once Sven was here. So this points more to Walsh being the guy behind those Leiceste transfers. But he ****ed up at Everton. Although it has to be said he was Head of Recruitment at LCFC and Director of Football at Everton - so that's a different job he maybe isn't cut out for, designing a whole club's transfer strategy, but he's still a great chief scout. Who knows. But all in all I don't think it's wise to appoint someone higher or on the level of Mislintat. Make him DoF and get a Chief Scout/Head of Recruitment in and the way english academies have picked up a bit over the last few years, there's surely some guys with neat knowledge in that area in some domestic clubs who could definitely be tempted to Arsenal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Interesting, this is the same kind of role Paulo Ferreira (remember him?) has at Chelsea

Latest posts+

Top Bottom