• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reading FC Vs Arsenal FC | Mon,Nov12th, 8pm | Madjeski Std

marco

Gooner T said:
ibby said:
psycho said:
Seriously Ibby, do you say this stuff on purpose to get a reaction- or wha?
How on earth are Man U playing better football then us..
Could be argued last season when they were scoring and we were not. Certainly not now..

Last 5 league results:

Reading 1-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-0 Bolton

Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland

Last 5 league results:

Man Utd 2-0 Blackburn

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Man Utd 4-1 Middlesbrough

Aston Villa 1-4 Man Utd

Man Utd 4-0 Wigan

Even a die hard Arsenal fan won't deny they are in better form than us.

Any knucklehead would look at the quality of the teams played in those 5 games and conclude that we have had tougher fixtures.

Reading away vs Blackburn @ home - we had the harder game.

Liverpool away vs Boro @ home - we had the harder game.

Bolton @ home vs Villa away - they had the harder game.

Sunderland @ home vs Wigan @ home - as easy as each other.

So out of those 5 that you chose, we had the more difficult set. The one that we drew was Liverpool AWAY. You dont get given points over there. We have done all this without our most potent attacking threat (RVP).

united would have got 6 or 7 against reading

banduan

Established Member
Goals come to players who are there for them no matter what their form.

That Ronaldo being off form (which I agree he is), would suddenly score huge amounts more when he is in form is absolute conjecture.

That effectiveness is always tied to goals and assists is also rubbish. It would mean players like Makalele are awful- or even ones like Riquelme.

But take off the rose-and-white tinted glasses and you know Man U are at least as good as us so far this season. Calling their match-ups ****e falls into the same kind of rhetoric that others have constantly thrown at our performances so far: that we've met nobody good yet. It's crazy talk, whether you support Man U or are a Gooner. Every excuse we make for their wins are the same excuses the mugs in Redcafe use against us.

Fact is both teams have gone through some rough patches. We got lucky against Hammers- they weren't so lucky against Citeh.

What I'm pretty much enjoying right now is the contrasting styles between two teams and how both have done it with considerable success.

Man U is about individualists with immense ability to destroy opponents with their team as a supporting cast. They are patient ind efense, contain threats, and then deliver quick punches that send their opponents reeling.

We are the reverse- individual flair embellishing a team performance greater than the sum of its parts. We are also patient, but in attack, providing a persistent threat that is constantly probing for an opening while keeping posession to maintain pressure.

It's a great EPL season this year and I'm enjoying every bit of it- not just cos I'm a Gooner.

Wenger14

Established Member
marco said:
Gooner T said:
ibby said:
psycho said:
Could be argued last season when they were scoring and we were not. Certainly not now..

Last 5 league results:

Reading 1-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-0 Bolton

Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland

Last 5 league results:

Man Utd 2-0 Blackburn

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Aston Villa 1-4 Man Utd

Man Utd 4-0 Wigan

Any knucklehead would look at the quality of the teams played in those 5 games and conclude that we have had tougher fixtures.

So out of those 5 that you chose, we had the more difficult set. The one that we drew was Liverpool AWAY. You dont get given points over there. We have done all this without our most potent attacking threat (RVP).

They've managed a grand total of 4 in 3 games against them, 2 draws and 1 win. We've got 9 with 3 wins.

ibby

Established Member
qs said:
ibby said:
Which is what I am trying to get to. Ronaldo hasn't been on form & has still ranked up 10 goals. Imagine what will happen when he does hit form, both for him & Manchester United?

It means nothing. "When he does hit form" he has hit form, he's doing what he does. In his last few games he's been the same old Ronaldo. What happens when Rosicky hits form, when Theo hits form, when Ade hits form. Its all nonsense. Just because Ronaldo isn't the top player in the league right now doesn't mean he'll definitely hit those heights.

Only the best of the best can sustain that kind of form over a career. Henry was a player like that, Ronaldo has a long long way to go.

Ronaldo this year & Ronaldo last year are two different players. This season, yes he has been scoring but last season he was much more dangerous. Any United fan would tell you that. I have been watching United a lot lately & Ronaldo doesn't get on the ball as much as last year for one reason or another but I expect him to raise his game becuase we know he can.

You say what happens when Theo, Rosicky or Ade hit form, but they haven't shown us anything throughout there career that tells us they can be consistant for over a year.

But both us & United have played premier league teams right? Then whats all the fuss about? I am not saying we are **** or anything but in recent weeks they have been looking more dangerous than us. Which is a fact.

ibby

Established Member
banduan said:
Goals come to players who are there for them no matter what their form.

That Ronaldo being off form (which I agree he is), would suddenly score huge amounts more when he is in form is absolute conjecture.

That effectiveness is always tied to goals and assists is also rubbish. It would mean players like Makalele are awful- or even ones like Riquelme.

But take off the rose-and-white tinted glasses and you know Man U are at least as good as us so far this season. Calling their match-ups s***e falls into the same kind of rhetoric that others have constantly thrown at our performances so far: that we've met nobody good yet. It's crazy talk, whether you support Man U or are a Gooner. Every excuse we make for their wins are the same excuses the mugs in Redcafe use against us.

Fact is both teams have gone through some rough patches. We got lucky against Hammers- they weren't so lucky against Citeh.

What I'm pretty much enjoying right now is the contrasting styles between two teams and how both have done it with considerable success.

Man U is about individualists with immense ability to destroy opponents with their team as a supporting cast. They are patient ind efense, contain threats, and then deliver quick punches that send their opponents reeling.

We are the reverse- individual flair embellishing a team performance greater than the sum of its parts. We are also patient, but in attack, providing a persistent threat that is constantly probing for an opening while keeping posession to maintain pressure.

It's a great EPL season this year and I'm enjoying every bit of it- not just cos I'm a Gooner.

Well said, I might not agree with all of it (agree with most btw) well said.

tam1886

Established Member
ibby said:
ON FORM they are playing better than us. Look at my previous post & it will back that up. We have drawn 3 out of our last 4 games.

Ofcourse we deserve to be top of the table, we have scored more goals but ON FORM, RIGHT NOW Manchester United are playing the better football.
This isn't just directed at you Ibby, but all that 'last five games' pish really annoys me. It's just a way of spinning it to make one team look better. You have used the last five games to make Man Utd look better, despite us having two title rivals played to their one.

If you are going to do a comparison, I believe it should be on the whole season. Why not make it the last one game? Or the last 21?

ibby said:
When I say on form I really mean on a timescale of the last 5 games (league games).

In the last 5 league games no-one can deny they have been more impressive.
No they havent, they have been more efficient and more effective. That isn't the same as being more impressive. We played some of the most impressive football in Europe last year but ultimately unded up with nothing. This year we are combining it with winning, albeit not in the most effective way like Man Utd

ibby

Established Member
tam1886 said:
ibby said:
ON FORM they are playing better than us. Look at my previous post & it will back that up. We have drawn 3 out of our last 4 games.

Ofcourse we deserve to be top of the table, we have scored more goals but ON FORM, RIGHT NOW Manchester United are playing the better football.
This isn't just directed at you Ibby, but all that 'last five games' pish really annoys me. It's just a way of spinning it to make one team look better. You have used the last five games to make Man Utd look better, despite us having two title rivals played to their one.

If you are going to do a comparison, I believe it should be on the whole season. Why not make it the last one game? Or the last 21?

ibby said:
When I say on form I really mean on a timescale of the last 5 games (league games).

No they havent, they have been more efficient and more effective. That isn't the same as being more impressive. We played some of the most impressive football in Europe last year but ultimately unded up with nothing. This year we are combining it with winning, albeit not in the most effective way like Man Utd

Effective, Efficient, Impressive.

In football isn't it all the samething?

So what have we been? effective? efficient? or impressive?

I done last 5 games because then we would have an idea of how we are both playing RECENTLY which is what I am trying to state. I cannot believe people are saying we have looked better than United over the past 5 games.

Gooner T

marco said:
Gooner T said:
ibby said:
psycho said:

Last 5 league results:

Reading 1-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-0 Bolton

Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland

Last 5 league results:

Man Utd 2-0 Blackburn

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Aston Villa 1-4 Man Utd

Man Utd 4-0 Wigan

Please, please tell me that that was an attempt at sarcasm.

United have already played Reading - at HOME - didnt get 6 or 7. They didnt even get ONE.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Gooner T said:
marco said:
Gooner T said:
ibby said:
psycho said:

Last 5 league results:

Reading 1-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-0 Bolton

Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland

Last 5 league results:

Man Utd 2-0 Blackburn

Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Aston Villa 1-4 Man Utd

Man Utd 4-0 Wigan

United have already played Reading - at HOME - didnt get 6 or 7. They didnt even get ONE.

:lol:

Gooner T

ibby said:
tam1886 said:
ibby said:

ibby said:

I done last 5 games because then we would have an idea of how we are both playing RECENTLY which is what I am trying to state. I cannot believe people are saying we have looked better than United over the past 5 games.

The reason people are saying that United havent looked better is because they have played easier games. The only game we have played poor in recently was against Slavia away with our second string out there. When Man United did that against Coventry at home, they lost 2-0!

As I said earlier a 1-1 draw at Liverpool after pounding them for 80 minutes is a far more impressive performance than a run of the mill victory at home against Boro.

What was your opinion on the head to head match up Arsnal vs United? Who was more impressive there?

banduan

Established Member
Effective, efficient and impressive are three different things altogether no matter what the subject matter...

kamikaze80

Established Member
Gooner T said:
What was your opinion on the head to head match up Arsnal vs United? Who was more impressive there?
honestly, i thought united looked more likely to score when they had the ball. they got it out on the wings and had runners in the box for the low cross. rooney really shouldve scored on that neat little chipped ball from tevez. considering we were the home side, i thought it was a very credible performance from them.

theyre much stronger opposition than, say, liverpool. honestly, you put torres on man city and i think theyre just as good. blackburn is only a CM away from being as good as the reds. its gonna be a three horse race between us, united and chelsea and i dont think theres much separating us.

ibby

Established Member
Gooner T said:
ibby said:
tam1886 said:
ibby said:

ibby said:

The reason people are saying that United havent looked better is because they have played easier games. The only game we have played poor in recently was against Slavia away with our second string out there. When Man United did that against Coventry at home, they lost 2-0!

As I said earlier a 1-1 draw at Liverpool after pounding them for 80 minutes is a far more impressive performance than a run of the mill victory at home against Boro.

The reason people aren't saying United have played better is because they are stonewall Arsenal fans thats why. I put up the last 5 results & they have had the better set of results. I don't care if we have played Liverpool or Middlesbrough, the fact that a win against any of them is still 3 points puts out your arguement of the easier teams.

Effective, efficient and impressive are three different things altogether no matter what the subject matter...

In Football, I disagree.

I will give you a classic example. 2 years ago what were Chelsea?

sesquioxide

YuenBiaoFan said:
Gooner T said:
marco said:

:lol:

We actually put 4 past Reading (let us ignore the nonfunctional linesman), with a 4-5-1 and all our first choice attackers except Fabregas pulled off by the 83rd minute. We could have had our 6 goals, but Wenger wasn't going for that.

And 3 points is 3 points whether the result was 2-0 or 7-0. So what good does for us to pound a team into oblivion if all that teaches them to do is to park the bus even more comprehensively the next game or next season we play them?

Gooner T

ibby said:
Gooner T said:
ibby said:
tam1886 said:
ibby said:

ibby said:

The reason people aren't saying United have played better is because they are stonewall Arsenal fans thats why. I put up the last 5 results & they have had the better set of results. I don't care if we have played Liverpool or Middlesbrough, the fact that a win against any of them is still 3 points puts out your arguement of the easier teams.

If I remeber correctly, your original comment was that United looked more "impressive" than Arsenal, not that they had got more points. If you're simply saying that United have been more impressive because they have received more points over the last 5 games, then im not gonna argue with you.

But for me, what impresses me about a teams performances, is not just getting 3 points at the end of it. For example I wasnt impressed with our performance at West Ham despite getting the win. I look at the quality of opponents, the quality of football, the chances made, the chances put away, the quality of the goals etc.

For example what would you say was the more impressive performance that we had out of these two:

West Ham away or Liverpool away?

I would definately have to say Liverpool away. We got 1 point from it as opposed to 3 against West Ham, but we played them off the pitch and I would go as far as saying that it was one of our best performances this season.

number_0

Established Member
Man U played some really crap teams that were happy to lose 4-0 instead of 8-0, plus the ref never stopped the play when a manc fouled a player, like in the blackburn game, and wasnt as consistant the other way round.
On the other hand us, we had goals stupidly disallowed:2 against sunderland, penalty appeal against pool, 2 appeals against manure, 2 stupid offside decisions against ade vs reading.9
that could have been a potentaial 6 goals (not counting diaby's 1st vs sunderland)

while refs are being consistant disallowing goals for us, they are given on a plate of gold to manure.
dont get me wrong the mancs deserve to be up here with us, but i am suprised we are still on top after all those horrible decisions given against us this season.

grrrrr, maybe i should dig up the wenger interview about the FA and double standards :evil:

Latest posts

Top Bottom