• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looks like people never learn from all those failed loans that we've had. Loan him on football manager, real life loans work something like 1/20 for us. He will end up on the bench and will play less then he would've with us.
There are EL games, 2 domestic cups and some sub appearances in PL when possible. That's enough to get him going.
There is absolutely no reason to play guys like Laca or Özil in these games just because they can't play PL anymore, it should be our training ground for young talents instead
I agree but you know PL managers. One way or another, he needs to build up momentum, and to do that he needs to play more. Since the restart, hes had 2 five minute cameos and one start where he lasted less than an hour.

GunnerShy

Didn't he create the most chances despite only playing an hour or so?

If Bournemouth stayed up and he could at in that type of side or Southampton as mentioned and get a good go at it in the PL in a side that knocks it round so be it. Otherwise we are better off keeping him

Fallout

i would prefer that he stays. i like that he is extremely secure on the ball with decent end product (on the rare occasions he is in a dangerous area). there is always room for these kind of players when you also have more risk-taking, productive players to balance it out. i think he'll get more game time next season.

he reminds me a lot of gnabry's conservative performances when he first broke into our team. also very similar to what nasri provided for us in terms of great retention with dependable end product when in dangerous areas. eventually both of those players exploded, i could see a world where nelson follows a similar trajectory if his mentality is good.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
i would prefer that he stays. i like that he is extremely secure on the ball with decent end product (on the rare occasions he is in a dangerous area). there is always room for these kind of players when you also have more risk-taking, productive players to balance it out. i think he'll get more game time next season.

he reminds me a lot of gnabry's conservative performances when he first broke into our team. also very similar to what nasri provided for us in terms of great retention with dependable end product when in dangerous areas. eventually both of those players exploded, i could see a world where nelson follows a similar trajectory if his mentality is good.
Yeah, one good thing I'll say is that he hasn't had a negative impact in the vast majority of games he's played this season - you can definitely build on that. He still needs to build up that confidence though, so he can start having a much bigger positive impact on games. Take a few risks here and there.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Keep waiting for him to showcase what he's about but he just doesn't really.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Honestly I'm not bothered. Give Trae Coyle a chance as backup. Unless Arteta actually plans to rotate with Nelson, Nelson needs to go and play regular football.

Even if he progresses though where can he fit in in the long-term? Pepe looks nailed on for the RW position. Do you think Nelson can play on the left or centrally?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Even if he progresses though where can he fit in in the long-term? Pepe looks nailed on for the RW position. Do you think Nelson can play on the left or centrally?
Of course - Nelson is better on the left than he is on the right. LW being the auxiliary goalscorer slot changes that, but Nelson's fortunate that he can play all across that attacking midfield line.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Jack Wilshere's loan to Bolton was probably the last to have worked out for us. That really paid dividends. I don't see why a Nelson or ESR couldn't go to a Prem team and play key roles there for a season?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah, one good thing I'll say is that he hasn't had a negative impact in the vast majority of games he's played this season - you can definitely build on that. He still needs to build up that confidence though, so he can start having a much bigger positive impact on games. Take a few risks here and there.
Agree that he needs to take more risk.

Although he hasn’t shown much, all the staffs/managers he worked with seems to praise his technical ability. There must be something good in him.

Do you think it’s better for him to loan for another year or stay to develop?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Have to agree with the majority, my boy needs a loan. Problem is it has to be a solid one, guaranteed minutes in the PL will be hard to find. Is the championship what he needs? I’d prefer another Bundesliga loan with a lesser team this time. Schalke have no money and would be my shout.

Smith Rowe to come back and take his place in the squad for me.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't understand where he should play on the pitch. He isn't a dribbling winger at all.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't understand where he should play on the pitch. He isn't a dribbling winger at all.
Nah, he can dribble - he's just.........not doing it? I don't know why. I think what you mean is that he doesn't have that pure running power and I can agree with that. He was pretty pacy at youth level but it hasn't translated well to the first team game. Still, he has good acceleration to get away from people in close quarters but not as much in big spaces. I still think it's a confidence thing with him.

Have to agree with the majority, my boy needs a loan. Problem is it has to be a solid one, guaranteed minutes in the PL will be hard to find. Is the championship what he needs? I’d prefer another Bundesliga loan with a lesser team this time. Schalke have no money and would be my shout.

Smith Rowe to come back and take his place in the squad for me.
Championship or Bundesliga for me. I think PL would be ideal in terms of getting him used to it but it's a Goldilocks situation finding a team who absolutely needs a player like him who's finding his feet. It would be nice for him to get more minutes here but I don't really envisage that as much at this point unless Arteta gives it to him unexpectedly. We'll have to see how it plays out. I'm slightly worried, he's still my favorite of the Hale End bunch but he really needs minutes right now.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Nah, he can dribble - he's just.........not doing it? I don't know why. I think what you mean is that he doesn't have that pure running power and I can agree with that. He was pretty pacy at youth level but it hasn't translated well to the first team game. Still, he has good acceleration to get away from people in close quarters but not as much in big spaces. I still think it's a confidence thing with him.

Championship or Bundesliga for me. I think PL would be ideal in terms of getting him used to it but it's a Goldilocks situation finding a team who absolutely needs a player like him who's finding his feet. It would be nice for him to get more minutes here but I don't really envisage that as much at this point unless Arteta gives it to him unexpectedly. We'll have to see how it plays out. I'm slightly worried, he's still my favorite of the Hale End bunch but he really needs minutes right now.

The injury in January happened happened at a bad time for him. Seemed to be getting regular games until then and played well against Leeds. Arteta seemed to be loving him at the time as well. I hope it works out for him here

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The injury in January happened happened at a bad time for him. Seemed to be getting regular games until then and played well against Leeds. Arteta seemed to be loving him at the time as well. I hope it works out for him here
I'm still relatively confident that it will. He's incredibly talented and Ornstein also said recently that he's been a good example in training so he is working hard it seems. He just needs more confidence and momentum, that's the only thing missing right now.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Wasn't expecting him to look the least likely of the Hale End hopefuls to make it but here we are I guess.

He looked a bit like Arteta's project at the start but he's not kicked on. Covid didnt help.

I can't see him going on loan for some reason. Probably 1 more chance for hi.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Totally agree. he just seems to be playing within himself and being deferential. When he actually asserts himself, he's quite effective even at this level, but he seems like a boy among men, when he's actually the most talented of our kids (though Saka has more technical security and remarkable decision making). He needs to be more assertive or he'll let having a squad with holes and a manager who likes him pass him by

lomekian

Essays are my thing
What is he good at?

Ball control, short acceleration bursts, changes of direction, tactical intelligence, quick interchanges, direct free kicks. For me those are his greatest strengths, though he also a good crosser, passer and finisher.

If he had more power, more pace over longer distances and more confidence he would be a massive asset.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
It's crazy Nelson & Sancho we're considered similar talents a few years ago when they were playing at U23 level.

Now Sancho one of the best Wingers in the world and Nelson is unconfident player who's trying to figure out his place in Arsenal.

It's wild but it shows Nelson has talent & I hope he can reach it.

Loan to Championship team would do him great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom