• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm inclined to agree @MutableEarth. At this point, we should just give game time to Nelson, Willock and Nketiah and see if they can make the step up. Willock's been playing well, Eddie is more of a handful than Lacazette, and Reiss is finally showing some of his potential. If they're fit, play them. We can't be much worse.

No goals from open play in 6.5 hours is pathetic. That's four and a half games since our last goal from open play. It's great being solid defensively (when it actually works), but we are so terrible in front of goal. Too many crosses with nobody on the end of them, not enough shots, and the ones we do have are rarely on target.

Balance is definitely the aim here - I don't think it will solve all our problems because Arteta's system at the moment is very much predicated on structure alone and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of freedom at the moment.

That said, one of our biggest issues is the lack of presence in the pockets around the area - zone 14 as the stat nerds are calling it. That's typically an area that people would like to see Özil operate in. Laca tries to replicate this presence by dropping deeper but that may also be him compensating for his complete lack of athleticism and stamina at the moment. For me, players like Nelson, Saka and ESR have the capability to get on the ball and make things happen in these areas. They are young and inconsistent but they fit the profile needed.

Nelson has the most work to do IMO but he has the biggest gain. He's had 2 very promising performances this season that showed much more confidence than we have seen in the last 18 months or so. The issue is that both games were not highly contested, even though one was against Leicester. What Nelson needs to do is show the same kind of aggression on the ball in the PL and free himself from the timidity that was holding him back before. Arsenal are a team that suffers greatly in the chance creating department and Nelson - rather surprisingly, given the small sample size and lack of confidence - is one of our best chance creators per 90 since the beginning of last season. What needs to happen for him to justify starts is to improve the quality of those chances. The xA90 for those chances were not particularly high - 0.21 in the PL compared to 0.9 in the EL (way smaller sample size).

His dribbling looks much better so far this season than it has in a while. There's more purpose and excitement as with his youth days. I expect that to be the most noticeable improvement he can bring to the team. The other huge area where there must be an improvement is in shot volume. Shooting is one of Nelson's strongest assets but last season was hugely frustrating for me in that he was hardly ever in shooting positions regularly. Our build up is slightly more coherent under Arteta so I expect that to improve a little if he's in the side but he needs to be braver and take those kinds of risks.

These are things Nelson can do to get into the team. I think he has the most to gain from an opportunity and he has to stay fit and be brave. He's done OK so far this season but we need him to sustain it. As far as Willock and Nketiah are concerned, I'd like to see a lot more of the former in some games. I think being a regular starter is a little bit of a reach, but his movement in the right hand channel and growing aptitude in possession is hugely welcome, especially given Pepe's perpetual isolation on that side. Nketiah is a weird one at the moment because he's struggling to impose himself on games as it is. That said, I'd like to see him start to get fed more chances.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
These are things Nelson can do to get into the team. I think he has the most to gain from an opportunity and he has to stay fit and be brave. He's done OK so far this season but we need him to sustain it.
Not sure if this is something you honestly believe. I don't think there is a single thing he or Williock/ESR/Martinelli can do to get into the team. We can lie to ourselves for sure, but all the evidence suggests that there is no plan for having them within the PL match squad group of players.
For some managers, having a broken first team squad would be a chance to try out how things could work out with a bit of youth enthusiasm instead of having a bunch of guys who are only here for their fat paycheck, but we both know Arteta is not that guy.

GoonerJay24

I don't know why this guy alongside the other youngsters aren't consistently playing for us, if Arteta isn't careful he's going to end up ruining one of the best youth academy generations in EPL history.

We have six or seven top young players that I believe could seriously dominate for a decade if given a season or two of adaptation to first team football.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Back in training yesterday so should be ready to play vs Molde away after the international break.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
I don't know why this guy alongside the other youngsters aren't consistently playing for us, if Arteta isn't careful he's going to end up ruining one of the best youth academy generations in EPL history.

We have six or seven top young players that I believe could seriously dominate for a decade if given a season or two of adaptation to first team football.
The hale end delusion is strong in this one

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
If we have to persist with the 3-5-2 I would like to see him given a chance at wing back. Don’t know if he’s good enough to ever be a wide forward so wing back might be a good chance for him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
ruining one of the best youth academy generations in EPL history.

Apart from Saka the rest are just decent, I wouldn't even mind selling Nelson and ESR they're all hype. Willock is good with potential but I doubt he's gonna dominate for a decade same with Nketiah and AMN and the likes. These are decent players but none really stand out apart from Saka. Guendouzi was better than the whole lot and he got kicked out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom