• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We really need to improve our loaning. Just coming into their 20s Abraham and Mount had five loan spells between them.

Why did we not build on Nelson’s? Not every young player is going to be a Saka or Fabregas where they can deliver end product and performances from the off.

18-20/21 should be loan territory for 99% of young players, with the occasionally cup or league appearance.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm sure Pepe will play tonight but Arteta needs to be playing Nelson too. I dont want to see Pepe on the left though. Nelson really needs to grab his chances, if he doesn't he'll be off next summer. I guess its the same for Pepe.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm sure Pepe will play tonight but Arteta needs to be playing Nelson too. I dont want to see Pepe on the right though. Nelson really needs to grab his chances, if he doesn't he'll be off next summer. I guess its the same for Pepe.
Nelson's better on the left.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We really need to improve our loaning. Just coming into their 20s Abraham and Mount had five loan spells between them.

Why did we not build on Nelson’s? Not every young player is going to be a Saka or Fabregas where they can deliver end product and performances from the off.

18-20/21 should be loan territory for 99% of young players, with the occasionally cup or league appearance.

Chelsea have like 500 players on loan and buy up all the best youth talent with their Russian oil money. They ruined football singlehandedly tbh.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Oops I meant to say I dont want to see Pepe on the left. Nelson on the left works well then. I think they'll both play tonight.
We need big performances from both of them. Time for them to build momentum and consistency.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !

Chelsea's loan policy is throw mud against the wall until something sticks. They have the resources to do that, we don't.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We need big performances from both of them. Time for them to build momentum and consistency.

Nketiah too. I dont feel he's been given enough games. We all know he can score and the way things are with Laca and Auba you've got to give Nketiah a run. They should be the front 3 today!

Make

Player:Ødegaard
I hope a lot of things on him tonight. I wish him a good match and I hope he can show us who he's and what he's able to do on the pitch to get a position in the line-up on Sunday against Wolves

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He was good today, this was a better performance than I’ve seen from Willian in Europa. Clearly one of the most technically secure footballers we have and we’re a club that struggles to hold the ball in the final third. It’s not rocket science Arteta. Play the kid. I can’t lie it Nelson continues his form to the end of the season that Willian deal is gonna look real funny.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Impressive game IMO. Having someone not just capable of dribbling but combination play with surrounding attackers is important and he showed quite a bit of that today. He is starting to take more responsibility in attack when he's on the ball and trying to make things happen. It's not quite up to his best yet but it's getting there.

I have 1 complaint - I don't feel he saw enough of the ball, particularly in the 2nd half where he seemed to fade a little. Hopefully that improves a little more. I'd like him to come inside a little earlier in order to be involved more. He's a guy who we need to get in the box and in central areas more, where he can do his best work.

It's another block on the way towards a more confident and dangerous Nelson.

DasBootist

He was good today, this was a better performance than I’ve seen from Willian in Europa. Clearly one of the most technically secure footballers we have and we’re a club that struggles to hold the ball in the final third. It’s not rocket science Arteta. Play the kid. I can’t lie it Nelson continues his form to the end of the season that Willian deal is gonna look real funny.
The Willian deal looks dodgy as **** irrespective of Nelson's Europa form. There was no need to sign a 32 year old former Chelsea player on a three year contract on high wages, with Nelson, Pepe, Saka, AMN and Martinelli on the books.

bonzka

Impressive game IMO. Having someone not just capable of dribbling but combination play with surrounding attackers is important and he showed quite a bit of that today. He is starting to take more responsibility in attack when he's on the ball and trying to make things happen. It's not quite up to his best yet but it's getting there.

I have 1 complaint - I don't feel he saw enough of the ball, particularly in the 2nd half where he seemed to fade a little. Hopefully that improves a little more. I'd like him to come inside a little earlier in order to be involved more. He's a guy who we need to get in the box and in central areas more, where he can do his best work.

It's another block on the way towards a more confident and dangerous Nelson.
I enjoyed watching him today. He was showing decent movement behind and sometimes finding little pockets to setup the combination play. Like it when he cuts in from the left, but still feel he can be more aggressive on these runs.

Occasionally the current team can play in tight spaces with little combinations and triangles, but it's not often or consistent enough.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He started brightly, faded as the match went on. You can see he is overly eager to impress with his meager chances and it effects your play and makes you tight.

Not a sports or psychology expert but I bet that has something to do with Pepe's red card and Reiss' overall game. They know they aren't starting for a while so they are tense.

What I find fascinating about the Hale End lot is, yes I know Saka is talented and mature beyond his years - people think he's a genius but he's not. He had a long uninterrupted stretch of run of games and was developed.

Saka at this stage in Europa last season was tidy, but he didn't blow anybody away. He made mistakes, he was sloppy - but circumstances determined he played the next match whether he played well or not.

Reiss, Willock, ESR in particular need the same. I'm afraid these fleeting Europa league appearances and 10 mins off the bench won't be enough for Reiss regardless of his talent.

That's one thing that has disappointed me with Arteta. You'd think a young manager he would incorporate the youth more to play is style. Instead, he has gotten 30 year olds to do loads of running and pressing and it isn't right or working.

Young players cost you points, but we're dropping points anyways.

I hope Reiss gets a loan or gets sold with an option to buy. Didn't mean to write an essay but I feel strongly about playing talent into adaptation and we haven't been doing it.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He started brightly, faded as the match went on. You can see he is overly eager to impress with his meager chances and it effects your play and makes you tight.

Not a sports or psychology expert but I bet that has something to do with Pepe's red card and Reiss' overall game. They know they aren't starting for a while so they are tense.

What I find fascinating about the Hale End lot is, yes I know Saka is talented and mature beyond his years - people think he's a genius but he's not. He had a long uninterrupted stretch of run of games and was developed.

Saka at this stage in Europa last season was tidy, but he didn't blow anybody away. He made mistakes, he was sloppy - but circumstances determined he played the next match whether he played well or not.

Reiss, Willock, ESR in particular need the same. I'm afraid these fleeting Europa league appearances and 10 mins off the bench won't be enough for Reiss regardless of his talent.

That's one thing that has disappointed me with Arteta. You'd think a young manager he would incorporate the youth more to play is style. Instead, he has gotten 30 year olds to do loads of running and pressing and it isn't right or working.

I hope Reiss gets a loan or gets sold with an option to buy. Didn't mean to write an essay but I feel strongly about playing talent into adaptation and we haven't been doing it.
I hope his recent performances are enough to get him into contention for a regular wide berth.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

all good but the last part, hopefully we dont sell or loan, but Arteta does the right thing and give him bigger role

Bloodbather

Established Member

Agreed 100%, especially with this part. Injuries forced us into giving Saka an extended run, he managed it, and we got ourselves someone who already has 4 caps for England at the age of 19 and seems favorable to make it into the England squad for a big tournament.

It doesn't always have to be injuries that force our hand, bad form could do that also. And we have plenty of underperformers and a team in desperate need of rejuvenation right now. It'd be one thing if we had a shortage of youngsters to give a run to, but we clearly don't.

Impact

Established Member
Irrespective of how serious his injury is, Saka needs a rest. Hopefully that means Arteta gives Nelson the chance to build a run from the left-wing.

He has looked sharp recently. In particular, he has gone up a level physically, which has given him the confidence to bring back some directness to his game.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Nelson is one of the few players still at the club who wouldn't look out of place in a Wenger team.

His confidence is growing, hopefully with that so will his decision making.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom