• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

REEVIE1995

Nelson needs to look at what happened with ESR last year. He is in a similar position. I remember when started ESR in one of Freddie's final games and he had a quiet game in what could of been a big opportunity for him. He then went to huddersfield, got regular game time and experience, and then he was able to take his chance this season.

If Nelson dropped down for the rest of the year, and built up some form, he could very easily make a case for himself in preseason as a starter if Willian and Pepe do not improve.

If we are not loaning him out then I would try him in the number 10 role on saturday. We will need someone to rotate with ESR at some point and I think he had he qualities to do it.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Nelson needs to look at what happened with ESR last year. He is in a similar position. I remember when started ESR in one of Freddie's final games and he had a quiet game in what could of been a big opportunity for him. He then went to huddersfield, got regular game time and experience, and then he was able to take his chance this season.

If Nelson dropped down for the rest of the year, and built up some form, he could very easily make a case for himself in preseason as a starter if Willian and Pepe do not improve.

If we are not loaning him out then I would try him in the number 10 role on saturday. We will need someone to rotate with ESR at some point and I think he had he qualities to do it.
I'd like Nelson to do this but I think there may be trust issues. Under Wenger, there was a clear path to the first team for any youngster who reached the required level. I'm not sure Arteta gives that opportunity or is believed by the youth to do so. Nelson probably thinks that a loan spells the end here for him. Hoffenheim was meant to ready him and Saliba and Guendouzi look to have been demoted. Edu has to step in and be clear with him and Arteta.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'd like Nelson to do this but I think there may be trust issues. Under Wenger, there was a clear path to the first team for any youngster who reached the required level. I'm not sure Arteta gives that opportunity or is believed by the youth to do so. Nelson probably thinks that a loan spells the end here for him. Hoffenheim was meant to ready him and Saliba and Guendouzi look to have been demoted. Edu has to step in and be clear with him and Arteta.
I think it's less to do with Arteta personally and more to do with how that Hoffenheim loan turned out in the end. He had a real hot streak and a few decent performances sprinkled in but he just wasn't trusted enough and kept getting dropped every time he started to build momentum. Ever since then, his confidence has been completely in the gutter. Much is stemming from Nelson's timidness since the end of that loan spell. He doesn't have the excitement, the imagination or the playfulness that he used to have when he was starting to build his reputation. I think he feels like fighting for his Arsenal place is something he'd rather do than fight for his place at another team and waste another season. I think dropping down a level is probably the best thing for him because at least he's more likely to play regularly. ESR could have gone to a PL team last year and he went to one of the worst performing teams in the Championship instead (albeit with a good set of coaches who helped to get the best out of him).

Agree pretty much. I'm surprised they've tried others there and not Nelson tbh, knowing how he has performed as a #10 in the past. His best games for Hoffenheim (when he did play) occurred when he played centrally!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think it's less to do with Arteta personally and more to do with how that Hoffenheim loan turned out in the end. He had a real hot streak and a few decent performances sprinkled in but he just wasn't trusted enough and kept getting dropped every time he started to build momentum. Ever since then, his confidence has been completely in the gutter. Much is stemming from Nelson's timidness since the end of that loan spell. He doesn't have the excitement, the imagination or the playfulness that he used to have when he was starting to build his reputation. I think he feels like fighting for his Arsenal place is something he'd rather do than fight for his place at another team and waste another season. I think dropping down a level is probably the best thing for him because at least he's more likely to play regularly. ESR could have gone to a PL team last year and he went to one of the worst performing teams in the Championship instead (albeit with a good set of coaches who helped to get the best out of him).

Agree pretty much. I'm surprised they've tried others there and not Nelson tbh, knowing how he has performed as a #10 in the past. His best games for Hoffenheim (when he did play) occurred when he played centrally!
Your point about Nelson wasting another season is cutting. This season is a bust for him if he doesn't get minutes. This is where the loan director steps in and Arteta makes him a promise of fair chance. He should look at ESR not Saka as a template for progression.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

ESR ascension is very different man.
Reiss has two expensive players and Saka ahead of him on one flank.
Auba and Martinelli on the other.

Furthermore, ESR had a massive campaign and support on his behalf to get in the team, in some ways it almost didn't matter what he did.

For proof before people think I'm just saying it:

Most of these are pre dated to before he actually started for us by the way lol - some are from June- August last year. As you can see the journos really really wanted ESR in the team.

I don't quite see that kind of pressure for Nelson I really don't, think it would take complete decimation in the squad to see Reiss sadly.

REEVIE1995

ESR ascension is very different man.
Reiss has two expensive players and Saka ahead of him on one flank.
Auba and Martinelli on the other.

Furthermore, ESR had a massive campaign and support on his behalf to get in the team, in some ways it almost didn't matter what he did.

For proof before people think I'm just saying it:

Most of these are pre dated to before he actually started for us by the way lol - some are from June- August last year. As you can see the journos really really wanted ESR in the team.

I don't quite see that kind of pressure for Nelson I really don't, think it would take complete decimation in the squad to see Reiss sadly.

A lot of the pressure came as a result of the loan spell to huddersfield. He was a significant reason they stayed up and he established himself as someone who was premier league quality. Danny Cowley couldn't sing his praises enough. It was clear he was ready to take the next step or at least be given a chance hence all the hype coming into the season. Reiss could easily repeat this pattern.

I get your point about all the players ahead of him but considering one of Pepe/ Willian is likely to go in the summer, he could take their place. The likes of ESR, Martinelli and Saka will need players to rotate with.

Impact

Established Member
Disappointed to read that Nelson won't be going out on loan but I can understand the rationale. A loan to a team in the Championship after some time in rehab during the rest of this season could be useful for his development. He needs regular game time.

Only concern I have is how close his contract may be to expiry and how EPG (the group managing Nketiah, Balogun, Nelson and Saka) may use that in negotiations. Ideally we extend his deal and loan him out as we did with Mavropanos.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

My feeling also. Unless he is injured he must be on his way out.

Weliveinacrazyworld

A very, very well known member
January transfer window about to close in a couple of days and no word on a loan. It looks like he won’t get any game time here for the rest of the season so a loan is best for him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We've cleared the decks and with the recent spate of injuries, he might just have got lucky. If Auba is still self isolating and Saka is feeling his hip, then there's room for Pepe and Nelson-if Arteta would just forget about Willian. With EL returning and the need to rotate, we'll see.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There are many games coming thick and fast. With Willock gone, he can get a few more minutes in the Europa, depending on the opposition. It’s really up to him. If you get in the pitch and make yourself undroppable, the coach will play you. He just has to take his chances boldly whenever he gets them, and make an impact. Desire has to match talent.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Should have sent him to Huddersfield, get a bit of that ESR treatment. He'd be world class when he returned I tell ya.

Top Bottom