• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Scary potential. He can go as far as he wants in the game. I think his friendship with Sancho will help him. Seeing his pal do well will light a fire underneath him.

Like Martinelli, I hope he plays as often as possible.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I criticised his movement in the past because I feel like he doesn’t make enough runs to make space for teammates or get involved in play. I think that’s why when we were in America he went missing a few times. I think Freddie can help a lot in that regard. But, I like the fact he’s willing to drop deep and come infield more, it helps with our build up play a lot.

One credit though, he does gets himself into goal scoring positions. He’s always about for the tap in or follow up. That’s a good a sign, but yeah overall it’s his movement that needs work.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
He looks ready to fight for a starting spot to me. Rather play him over Iwobi, Mkhi and Özil.

This actually makes signing Pepe over Zaha sweeter because I hoped we'd get two wingers and one of them a lefty. With Saka also around it pretty much balances out our forward options.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Much better winger than Auba, but Auba will probably score more even out wide due to his experience and positioning. Still, he should get a fair few chances. Will be exciting to have two pacy, skillful dribblers playing.

Iceman10

Established Member
He looks ready to fight for a starting spot to me. Rather play him over Iwobi, Mkhi and Özil.

This actually makes signing Pepe over Zaha sweeter because I hoped we'd get two wingers and one of them a lefty. With Saka also around it pretty much balances out our forward options.

I'm sceptical as to what would happen when Iwobi is available. Can see the case for Willock breaking into rotation. Nketiah also. Reiss is borderline (keep at club or loan out again).

Ciscoo

Quite glad he’s escaped the media hype so far. He has everything in his game, just needs time to put it all together. I stand by the view he has a similar ceiling to Sancho or CHO.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Quite glad he’s escaped the media hype so far. He has everything in his game, just needs time to put it all together. I stand by the view he has a similar ceiling to Sancho or CHO.
It’s been helpful and harmful at the same time. He was born December 1999 so missed out on being included in England’s 2000 born ‘golden generation’ that won the u17 World Cup.

Southgate rarely includes him when he talks about new players coming into the squad, always about Foden and even Gibbs-White ffs. He’s already shown that he’s a better player than the likes of Sessegnon, Gibbs-White and even the older Lookman who was hyped for a while.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is there any news on his injury? Went down holding his knee by jarring it under no contact. Could be serious.
Not a peep, which suggests that hes likely alright.

It’s been helpful and harmful at the same time. He was born December 1999 so missed out on being included in England’s 2000 born ‘golden generation’ that won the u17 World Cup.

Southgate rarely includes him when he talks about new players coming into the squad, always about Foden and even Gibbs-White ffs. He’s already shown that he’s a better player than the likes of Sessegnon, Gibbs-White and even the older Lookman who was hyped for a while.
Ironically a lot of people, even on here, call Nelson hyped. I personally don't think he gets anywhere near the amount of fanfare that the others get and seems to get judged a fair deal harsher IMO despite being am obvious top talent. I just hope Emery doesn't **** this up and actually plays him. There is no need for Mhkitaryan to play ahead of him, and you can only barely make an argument for Iwobi. That LW spot should be Nelson's.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think Nelson is being over hyped by many on here. We don't know how good he can be until he gets ample opportunities at the top.level. However, the Sancho comparisons seem forced.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He's looked good against Lyon and Angers, though I do get the feeling that he's still playing within himself and if so I look forward to more he can do once he starts playing with more freedom.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
I think Nelson is being over hyped by many on here. We don't know how good he can be until he gets ample opportunities at the top.level. However, the Sancho comparisons seem forced.

I watched the U23 game against Man City a few seasons back at the Emirates and he absolutely dominated the game. Both him Sancho and the former city winger Ruiz looked a cut above the rest. It was just ridiculous how he was running rings around the city team. It's just confidence and belief he needs and trust me, he'll be flying. Him and Iwobi on the left is fine, although longer term, I personally see Iwobi moving to the centre.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
He's looked good against Lyon and Angers, though I do get the feeling that he's still playing within himself and if so I look forward to more he can do once he starts playing with more freedom.

Absolutely right mate, he's definitely playing within himself. Once he gets that confidence and starts to influence games and believe in himself, it's gonna be a madness. :lol: It's up to him though as he definitely has the ability. He just needs to enjoy his football and play with a smile on his face. Having Willock, Iwobi, Nketiah, and Maitland Niles playing alongside him will help him as they link up well together and seem to like playing together.

Last edited:

Kingofthebongo

The thing is people talk about confidence, belief and other mental attributes as if that's the "only thing" left for him to be a beast but don't realize that sometimes the mental aspect is precisely what separates elite from pro from semi pro.

It is not JUST some mental aspect: it is IQ, quick decision making, dealing with nerves, being in the present moment, confidence, understanding the game, understanding moments. This is actually more important than talent. His talent is all there, but we shouldn't downplay the mental aspects as just needing to be filled in.

akhil

He looks so heavy legged though. Not seen the initial burst I've seen before from him. Not sure if he's put on too much upper body weight ala Wilshere. He doesn't seems to be moving as freely as before.

Kingofthebongo

He looks so heavy legged though. Not seen the initial burst I've seen before from him. Not sure if he's put on too much upper body weight ala Wilshere. He doesn't seems to be moving as freely as before.

I think he is struggling to get away from defenders as easily as he did with U23s. He was generally on the top echelon of acceleration in his youth days, but in the highest level he can't be as reliant on his physical tools which is putting more emphasis on his mental game. This is a time of uncomfortable struggle/potential growth for him to adapt - we shall see.

avalonhse

The thing is people talk about confidence, belief and other mental attributes as if that's the "only thing" left for him to be a beast but don't realize that sometimes the mental aspect is precisely what separates elite from pro from semi pro.

It is not JUST some mental aspect: it is IQ, quick decision making, dealing with nerves, being in the present moment, confidence, understanding the game, understanding moments. This is actually more important than talent. His talent is all there, but we shouldn't downplay the mental aspects as just needing to be filled in.

You develop your mental aspect when you played a lot. Sancho and Nelson arguably have the same starting point, what separates their mental is the number of competitive matches Sancho have played.

The gap of experience between them only widen further this year.

Kingofthebongo

You develop your mental aspect when you played a lot. Sancho and Nelson arguably have the same starting point, what separates their mental is the number of competitive matches Sancho have played.

The gap of experience between them only widen further this year.

Lots of variables of developing the mental aspects - the most important part I think being the will and need to develop it and your passion to be an ever improving player. Everyine lies on a gradient.
Experience gives you the canvas, and the repetition to practice those skills.

Impact

Established Member
Surprised there is any debate about this. Nelson has been our highest potential Academy player since his early teens. It all comes down to Emery trusting him, which means serious game-time and playing him through/in spite of any blips as he adjusts to the PL.

I think he has more in his locker than Sancho personally but Sancho is far ahead in having the confidence to impose himself in matches. Reiss needs to demonstrate that same conviction. Should be looking at someone like Sterling and challenging himself to have a similar impact to what Raheem had during his breakthrough seasons at L'pool.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I can't get my head around the Sancho comparisons bar both are of a similar age and from the same area. Sancho is direct, pacey and destroys full backs in one on ones, Reiss seems a bit more technical. They don't seem similar in style at all.

Reiss will get opportunities here, but I see ESR and Nketiah as our best youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom