• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reserves vs Portsmouth, 16th December, 7PM - Eduardo

famous no 10

Established Member
Great to see Eddy back, and like others said, Coquelin was excellent,JW's going to be a star.

Impressed with the reserves all round, if I lived near the ground I think I would go there all the time, the football is at least on a level with a good championship side, imo...played some nice football.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Well that was great, Eduardo's back! - First time I've seen the reserves too.

He looked sharp on his comeback, movement was as impressive as you'd expect, definitely should have had a penalty early on and was denied once by a good save. Not ready for the first team yet but with more hard work and games like this we should see him at the Emirates soon enough.

On the performance, we were tidy all round and completely dominated Pompey. Wilshere, Merida and the full backs Coquelin and Gibbs stood out in particular, only negative was Ramsey who kept trying the 'hollywood ball' when it was clearly not coming off for him.

Oh and wasn't Ben Sahar meant to be Chelsea's next big thing a few years back?

Nela

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
Nela said:
-I wonder how Merida would do if he played in the hole(Hleb role) for the first team?
what is with some people's obsession with playing mediocre players in the hole?
:lol: Well I wouldn't exactly call it an obsession.

It has more to do with the fact that it's a formation Wenger clearly likes and the person who filled that role is no longer at the club. So the natural question becomes, who can fill that role now? Add to that, that we have a ridiculous number of ACMs at our club who don't quite look at home on the wings, but aren't regular CMs either.

True Gooner

Established Member
Yeah, plus Merida looks really good going forward but rubbish at covering his fullback. He'd do well in 'the hole'.

kamikaze80

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Yeah, plus Merida looks really good going forward but rubbish at covering his fullback. He'd do well in 'the hole'.
is the goal of arsenal fc to win matches or to do whatever we can to make merida look good? at good teams, if they play with someone in the hole, it's someone like bergkamp, kaka, etc. you dont make someone the focal point of your attack unless he's absurdly talented. players like merida are dime a dozen.

merida in the hole, diaby in the hole, ramsey in the hole, bischoff in the hole.. makes me want to puke.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
is the goal of arsenal fc to win matches or to do whatever we can to make merida look good?

The goal of Arsenal FC is to buy and produce as many central midfielders as possible, so that we can eventually create a team comprised solely of CMs.

True Gooner

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
True Gooner said:
is the goal of arsenal fc to win matches or to do whatever we can to make merida look good? at good teams, if they play with someone in the hole, it's someone like bergkamp, kaka, etc. you dont make someone the focal point of your attack unless he's absurdly talented. players like merida are dime a dozen.

Thats all fine and dandy but it was just an observation. :lol:

General

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
The goal of Arsenal FC is to buy and produce as many central midfielders as possible, so that we can eventually create a team comprised solely of CMs.

Or sell them on for bigger money - Market Development. That bloke Igor Ansoff has a lot to answer for. :wink:

dutchMasta

That's the thing, Merida's done one of those passes every single CC match from what I've seen, but no one's managed to finish (all of them were complete one on ones). His general play hasn't been great, but he always had the eye for that kind of pass, so unless his general play has improved, reactions should be similar to his previous matches. Yep, haven't seen this match, will watch today, sounds great though, Wilshere especially!

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
Great to hear about Eddy's comeback today. I'll be honest, I didnt think he'd ever play again when he got broken (sorry, "injured" just doesnt do it justice). lets hope he regains his sharpness, gets back to his best and keeps Nicklas Bendtner as far away from the Arsenal starting lineup as possible. If only Rosicky wasnt permanently crocked, I think we'd be in the thick of things again with two signings in January. This team with a bit more luck with injuries + Eduardo and Rosicky + one central defender + one central midfielder = contenders. Seems like alot but thats only two new signings!

Speaking of Rosicky, he got injured before Eduardo with an injury that Arsène described as "not a serious one" and more an issue of "days, not weeks". Eduardo had his foot dangling off his shin with an injury that had most of us either screaming, vomiting or in tears. Eduardo is back before Tomas. Football really is a funny old game.

sesquioxide

gunnertilldeath said:
Great to hear about Eddy's comeback today. I'll be honest, I didnt think he'd ever play again when he got broken (sorry, "injured" just doesnt do it justice). lets hope he regains his sharpness, gets back to his best and keeps Nicklas Bendtner as far away from the Arsenal starting lineup as possible. If only Rosicky wasnt permanently crocked, I think we'd be in the thick of things again with two signings in January. This team with a bit more luck with injuries + Eduardo and Rosicky + one central defender + one central midfielder = contenders. Seems like alot but thats only two new signings!

Speaking of Rosicky, he got injured before Eduardo with an injury that Arsène described as "not a serious one" and more an issue of "days, not weeks". Eduardo had his foot dangling off his shin with an injury that had most of us either screaming, vomiting or in tears. Eduardo is back before Tomas. Football really is a funny old game.

Yeah, I was privately assuming the worst when I saw those photos of Eduardo. (Thank goodness the mods took them off the board. I was really ready to vomit.) Congratulations to him on his recovery, and I hope he will have several productive years in our shirt.

As for Rosicky ... I think we should stop thinking of him as an Arsenal player.

patrick42uk

Established Member
dutchMasta said:
That's the thing, Merida's done one of those passes every single CC match from what I've seen, but no one's managed to finish (all of them were complete one on ones). His general play hasn't been great, but he always had the eye for that kind of pass, so unless his general play has improved, reactions should be similar to his previous matches. Yep, haven't seen this match, will watch today, sounds great though, Wilshere especially!

I dont think any midfielder outperformed Merida in the 3 CC cup games we played.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom