• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
When you look at Holding you don't see any decent quality you can work with. I won't call his signing a disaster. He was signed for peanuts, so we can make a decent profit off of him.
But as a team serious about challenging, he should be nowhere near the starting XI. Can't believe people compare him to Mustafi. Mustafi is a competent defender that is capable of moments of madness. But holding is just shïte. He has no positive standout attribute that you see and be like "Yeah, I can work with this".
He's 24 ffs and we still make excuses for him.
'

I agree. Despite how poor they are our defenders do have some really good qualities. Mustafi is very good in the air, Luiz is excellent on the ball and Sokratis is physically tough.Holding like you say don`t have any stand out qualities really.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Let’s cut Holding some slack. He has been injured for a long time and is playing himself back into form. I have no major issue with him. Solid squad player that can hopefully improve again.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
AM hating a player because he’s English again.

Why don’t you lads just watch your local teams? Nairobi City fc, Phuket Rovers etc.
Wow!

Just wow. Could you be anymore racist?

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Don’t think my post was even slightly racist though ffs.
Your assumption was that those who were criticizing Holding were either Kenyans (Nairobi city FC) or Thai (Phuket Rovers).

Doesn't get much racist than that in my book.

Anyway, I know you're probably not a racist but you'd agree that comment was racist whether consciously or unconsciously

GDeep™

League is very weak
Your assumption was that those who were criticizing Holding were either Kenyans (Nairobi city FC) or Thai (Phuket Rovers).

Doesn't get much racist than that in my book.

Anyway, I know you're probably not a racist but you'd agree that comment was racist whether consciously or unconsciously
I’m sorry if it came across as racist to you, not my intention.

Mentioned Nairobi because i was born there.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I’m sorry if it came across as racist to you, not my intention.

Mentioned Nairobi because i was born there.
Not so much racist as deeply unhelpful. Arsenal's future power will be reliant on their international fan base far more than the domestic one, and being able to unite with people around the world via a shared love has to be a good thing, no?

As for Rob Holding, he's decent, but still not back to his pre-injury level and has no outstanding singular attribute. Ultimately I think it will be better for his career to leave, but I'd be delighted if he's willing to stay as back up, because I think in certain systems he can be very effective, and he's not our worst option.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

because I think in certain systems he can be very effective, and he's not our worst option.
Put him in a city team and he'll still be crap. He's basically a John stones without the ball skills.

I keep asking myself what is he good for?

He'll probably play better in a Burnley team that will cover his massive weaknesses

GDeep™

League is very weak
Put him in a city team and he'll still be crap. He's basically a John stones without the ball skills.

I keep asking myself what is he good for?

He'll probably play better in a Burnley team that will cover his massive weaknesses
You say all this but you and @say yes were praising Luiz non stop during lockdown, he’s been poor all season. Arteta even went 3 at the back to cover his massive weaknesses.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

You say all this but you and @say yes were praising Luiz non stop during lockdown, he’s been poor all season. Arteta even went 3 at the back to cover his massive weaknesses.
With Mustafi and Luiz, you have a couple of flawed CB that have lots of weaknesses and also lots of strength. So as a team, you cover their weakness and you see their strength shine through. But with holding, you don't see that thing that makes you think at least he's got potential. With him, you see a player with all of the flaws of our other defenders but without his own strength.

Luiz and Mustafi makes mistake, holding does too. But luiz and Mustafi are good at playing out of the back and good in the air respectively. And also Mustafi has decent pace and can chase down attackers. What does two lack are concentration. Not like I'm saying they're good enough for us, but as least you see why the coach play them when they're fit.

Where as Holding brings nothing to the table

Last edited:

MA08

I am not sure why people are saying Rob Holding do not have any stand out attributes. He is actually a calm defender, His ability on the ball might be average, however, he is really similar to Mertesacker in terms of calmness. You rarely see him making reckless tackles.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I am not sure why people are saying Rob Holding do not have any stand out attributes. He is actually a calm defender, His ability on the ball might be average, however, he is really similar to Mertesacker in terms of calmness. You rarely see him making reckless tackles.
I agree his calmness is a strength, but its not as well developed as in BFG and he doesn't read the game as well. However in addition Mertesacker had his height and (once he adapted the pace of the EPL) better positional play.

I'm in no hurry to see the back of Rob Holding at all, but he's one of many 'quite good' centre backs we have. He's a bit of a slower, more physical Matthew Upson. A perfectly good player not quite at the level we need, unless hes happy to stay on the bench.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Hope he repeats his last final performance today. By no means is he a top class defender but quite a few here seem desperate for him to be terrible today.

Feel free to say I told you so if he's **** though! :lol:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Hope he repeats his last final performance today. By no means is he a top class defender but quite a few here seem desperate for him to be terrible today.

Feel free to say I told you so if he's **** though! :lol:
I hope he doesn't repeat the 2017 final. He was mediocre in that game. Mert carried him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom