• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Roma vs Arsenal match ratings

Double_H

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
The announcers were ragging on Baptista in the worst way. At one point they said he wanted the ground to open and swallow him. Imagine if he'd have missed his penalty.

once a gooner ....

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
progman07 said:
qs said:
progman07 said:
It was good Gallas didn't have to shoot a penalty, because he would have had so much pressure, if he misses imagine the hatred towards him by those who already hate him. He would have been booed more than Eboue, I guess.

Same as nearly everyone else who took a pen really.
Thinking about it, true. I said before nearly every penalty that 'if he misses, he is going to be no. 1 enemy at the Emirates'. But then, Gallas gets even more hate than others (excluding Eboue), doesn't he?
I think yesterday all of them didn't had convincing penalties, but Doni was as poor as ever diving only one side. Other than RVP, Nasri the others just shoot and hope for the best. I was so scared, so so scared when I saw Toure running so far out. I thought he would blast the ball over. Diaby was cool.

AliBabaBrewer said:
Nela said:
Before we the penalties started there was a shot of Sagna comforting Gallas. Did anyone else see this? Gallas was sitting on the grass and looked really upset.

I'm thinking Gallas thought he could do it, but Wenger's thought that the pressure might be too much for him, and can you imagine the backlash he'd get after what happened with the captaincy if he missed his penalty and knocked us out of the Champions League?

I don't think he was upset. He was very tired and Sagna was cheering him up and keeping him going. I heard "C'mon".

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Double_H said:
MDGoonah41 said:
The announcers were ragging on Baptista in the worst way. At one point they said he wanted the ground to open and swallow him. Imagine if he'd have missed his penalty.

once a gooner ....
When he stepped up for penalty, I was shouting to the tv to Almunia, jump up jump up as I knew Baptista would blast the ball. But it was unsavable. That was a superb penalty. I knew Totti, Aquilaini and Baptista's penalties was unsavable before they stepped up. And I correctly guess all of Roma's and Arsenal's first 5 penalty takers ;)

Anyway my match ratings

Almunia 7
Sagna 6
Touré 5
Gallas 5
Clichy 5
Eboue 5
Denilson 5
Diaby: 6
Nasri 5
Bendtner 5
van Persie 5

Walcott 5
Eduardo 4

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
sesquioxide said:
I am not one to really challenge how one come up with ratings, since I never post up ratings of my own, but may I ask why some of you give Gallas "average" or even midly positive ratings? His blunder was bailed out only by a penalty shootout which he himself did not participate in. Would the numbers have been different if we lost?

(On an somewhat relevant note, for all of Gallas's talk of mental strength and leadership from experience, he showed neither when he wasn't even the 8th to take the penalty. For a person whose career started out as a striker, he has absolutely no grounds to say he doesn't know how to strike the ball. Letting kids like Denilson and Diaby take the penalty kicks before him is rank hypocrisy.)

yes don't understand the likes of Diaby and Sagna taking penalties before Gallas. Don't feel he played badly at all last night but in reflection I should have marked him down for his OVERALL contribution last night!

Rohit

Established Member
I am not a big Gallas fan but really being down in the list of penalty takers could also mean he is a poor penalty taker and nothing more.

Nela

Established Member
I thought Sagna had the most composed penalty. But I'll have to rewatch them to really see.

ricky1985

Established Member
My Ratings;

Almunia - 7. Didn't really have much to do. Made a couple of good stops, and a bit of a mess of one shot.

Sagna - 7. Thought he defended well, and put in some excellent balls. Ran tirelessly all night.

Toure - 6. Ridiculous positioning at times, and woeful aerially, but made some absolutely brilliant last ditch interceptions and blocks. Typical Toure these days.

Gallas - 6. poor for the goal, but was solid there after.

Clichy - 6. Some terrible moments, but his distribution was good, and he made countless tackles and interceptions.

Eboue - 5. Offers next to nothing. Full stop.

Diaby - 6.5. What he does is quite good, but he hinders our fluent passing game to an extent words can't even describe.

Denilson - 5. The two legs represented the present and the future for young Denilson. In the first game he showed us what he can become, in the second he showed us the poor player he currently is.

Nasri - 6. Some good touches and bursts of speed, but lots of lost balls, and untimely runs. Didn't create a single thing all night (which isn't all his fault)

Bendtner - 6.5. Although nothing came off for him, he showed some really great touches, and some clever passing. I thought he was our best offensive player.

Van Persie - 4. Horrific performance, absolutely horrific. Personally, I think he bottled it, and it casts serious doubts as to whether he can really cut it at the top level. his set-pieces summed up his woeful, dire performance.

Subs

Walcott - 5. Touch was horrible, and his pace is not at 100% yet.

Eduardo - 6. One great pass to Van Persie aside, he had no positive impact.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Rohit said:
I am not a big Gallas fan but really being down in the list of penalty takers could also mean he is a poor penalty taker and nothing more.

for real. talk about reading too much into things. how can you get on the guy for obeying wengers penalty taking order? are people really that desperate to find something to ***** about in regards to gallas?

Lord Dula

Established Member
Almunia 7 - Didnt do much wrong and made some important stops
Sagna 5 - Up against a good forward in Vucinic, but crossing was dire
Gallas 6 - Goal aside he dealt with things well
Toure 6 - Looks to be in better shape of late, just needs to work on positional sense
Clichy 5 - looks shakey and poor outlet at the mo
Eboue 5 - average
Denilson 4 - hasnt got the presence to boss the midfield and was wasteful
Diaby 6 - has the presence denilson lacks but is too immature in his play
Nasri 3 - slowed us up and created sod all
Bendtner 5 - gave us some physical presence but takes too many touches
van Persie 3 - too disjointed

Theo 5 - Pace but moved into the wrong areas
Eduardo 5 - Still to get upto speed

sesquioxide

the dawn raids said:
Rohit said:

for real. talk about reading too much into things. how can you get on the guy for obeying wengers penalty taking order? are people really that desperate to find something to ***** about in regards to gallas?

Wenger's penalty taking order? Do you really think he has one?

If so, why did Gilberto take the penalty at Old Trafford 2 seasons ago? I doubt he or Wenger ever thought he was the best penalty taker; Adebayor probably could shoot better. But he took the pressure on himself because he was a leader.

Simple as that.

General

Established Member
sesquioxide said:

If so, why did Gilberto take the penalty at Old Trafford 2 seasons ago? I doubt he or Wenger ever thought he was the best penalty taker; Adebayor probably could shoot better. But he took the pressure on himself because he was a leader.

Simple as that.

For crying out loud, because Gilberto happened to be the captain and our designated penalty taker at Old Trafford. Gallas didn't take one so what. He's doomed if he did, doomed if he didn't. Let's stop making a mountain out of a farking mole hill (In Hackajack's voice).

True Gooner

Established Member
sesquioxide said:

Simple as that.

Err...Gilberto took the majority of the pens that season, and yes - he was pretty good from the spot. Apart from that miss at Ot, I think he converted all his pens.

Also, Adebayor won the penalty didn't he? I thought the Arsenal rule was that the winner does not get to take the penalty unless there are no other viable options or in special circumstances eg. Eduardo's return where he won and subsequently took the penalty.

the dawn raids

Established Member
sesquioxide said:

theo walcott said:
"I didn't expect to take the third penalty but the boss has faith in all of us. That definitely showed in the penalty takers tonight. He told me I was third and I am not going to say no."

so yeah, id say wenger has one. so no merited gallas bashing on this one. i know so many around here are bitterly disappointer about that. :roll:

dbig

True Gooner said:
sesquioxide said:

Simple as that.

Err...Gilberto took the majority of tAlso, Adebayor won the penalty didn't he? I thought the Arsenal rule was that the winner does not get to take the penalty unless there are no other viable options or in special circumstances eg. Eduardo's return where he won and subsequently took the penalty.[he pens that season, and yes - he was pretty good from the spot. Apart from that miss at Ot, I think he converted all his pens.

Also, Adebayor won the penalty didn't he? I thought the Arsenal rule was that the winner does not get to take the penalty unless there are no other viable options or in special circumstances eg. Eduardo's return where he won and subsequently took the penalty.

Yeah, Gilberto's penalties were pretty good until that miss. Then is all turned to **** and he missed badly after that, if I recall correctly.

Not a rule but an understanding that the one who wins the penalty doesn't take it. Think it was started as a form of superstition during TH and RP's time here?

sesquioxide

True Gooner said:
Err...Gilberto took the majority of the pens that season, and yes - he was pretty good from the spot. Apart from that miss at Ot, I think he converted all his pens.

Nah, he messed up another one at Bolton too. (He was then followed by Baptista, who blasted his own penalty into outer space as well.) Wenger joked later after the win about how he has never heard of 2 Brazilians missing penalties on one night.

the dawn raids said:
theo walcott wrote:
"I didn't expect to take the third penalty but the boss has faith in all of us. That definitely showed in the penalty takers tonight. He told me I was third and I am not going to say no."

so yeah, id say wenger has one. so no merited gallas bashing on this one. i know so many around here are bitterly disappointer about that.

So you were right. Congratulations.

Gallas however has condemned himself with conceding the goal to begin with. If there wasn't a list though, and he let so many others take it before he did, then he does deserve condemnation.

sesquioxide

dbig said:
Yeah, Gilberto's penalties were pretty good until that miss. Then is all turned to s**t and he missed badly after that, if I recall correctly.

Not a rule but an understanding that the one who wins the penalty doesn't take it. Think it was started as a form of superstition during TH and RP's time here?

Did Adebayor win the penalty? I don't remember. I doubt though that Gilberto was the best penalty taker out of the entire team (barring Adebayor) that day. I would think Fabregas could do the job as well (as he proved for Spain).

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
But wasn't Gilberto our main penalty taker that year? I think he was high up in the top scorer list because he took the penalties for us?

True Gooner

Established Member
He was. Since Henry and RvP were out for extended periods.

Adebayor did not take penalties regularly until last season - when Gilberto was relegated to the bench.

dbig said:
Yeah, Gilberto's penalties were pretty good until that miss. Then is all turned to s**t and he missed badly after that, if I recall correctly.

Not really, the OT game was at the start of the season and Gilberto continued to take most of the penalties for the rest of the season. Even the one that decided the title at the Grove vs Chelsea

dbig

True Gooner said:
dbig said:

Not really, the OT game was at the start of the season and Gilberto continued to take most of the penalties for the rest of the season. Even the one that decided the title at the Grove vs Chelsea

My mistake then. I remember he turned pretty bad at it after missing one. Can't remember which game exactly.

qs

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
sesquioxide said:

theo walcott said:

so yeah, id say wenger has one. so no merited gallas bashing on this one. i know so many around here are bitterly disappointer about that. :roll:

That doesn't prove your argument at all. :roll:

Latest posts

Top Bottom