• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Roma vs Arsenal match ratings

the dawn raids

Established Member
like hell it doesnt. its ludicrous to get on someone for a penalty order they had no control of. theres plenty of things gallas has done that merit criticism, but even eboue doesnt get blamed for stupid things he had no part of. well, maybe he does a little.

progman07

Established Member
People need to stop attacking a player they hate anyway based on dodgy ideas, like that 'why didn't he shoot a penalty'. It was probably Wenger who made the list of the shooters, not Gallas.

It's getting embarrassing how people are trying to attack Gallas at every possible event.

ibby

Established Member
progman07 said:
People need to stop attacking a player they hate anyway based on dodgy ideas, like that 'why didn't he shoot a penalty'. It was probably Wenger who made the list of the shooters, not Gallas.

It's getting embarrassing how people are trying to attack Gallas at every possible event.
Well said.

I also like how people are deflecting the blame away from Eduardo for missing his penalty yet if it was Gallas I doubt the same stance would have been taken. Hell, he is getting criticised and he didn't even take one!

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
sesquioxide said:
True Gooner said:
Err...Gilberto took the majority of the pens that season, and yes - he was pretty good from the spot. Apart from that miss at Ot, I think he converted all his pens.

Nah, he messed up another one at Bolton too. (He was then followed by Baptista, who blasted his own penalty into outer space as well.) Wenger joked later after the win about how he has never heard of 2 Brazilians missing penalties on one night.

the dawn raids said:
theo walcott wrote:
"I didn't expect to take the third penalty but the boss has faith in all of us. That definitely showed in the penalty takers tonight. He told me I was third and I am not going to say no."

so yeah, id say wenger has one. so no merited gallas bashing on this one. i know so many around here are bitterly disappointer about that.

So you were right. Congratulations.

Gallas however has condemned himself with conceding the goal to begin with.
If there wasn't a list though, and he let so many others take it before he did, then he does deserve condemnation.

What's got into you? Did Gallas seduce your woman or something?

I saw the goal and although it was a soft goal, it still doesn't merit your hate toward Gallas. It's not purely his fault and he doesn't deserve condemnation.

We conceded 1 goal only, and we won on penalties whether Gallas takes it or not is not something to fuss about!

AGAIN, WE WON THE PENALTY SHOOTOUT :bash

Be ****ing grateful the team you support is not Sporting Lisbon!!

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ibby said:
progman07 said:

Well said.

I also like how people are deflecting the blame away from Eduardo for missing his penalty yet if it was Gallas I doubt the same stance would have been taken. Hell, he is getting criticised and he didn't even take one!

Spot On!

This is simply blind hate. I can't imagine what kind of abuse would Gallas get if he take the penalty and fluff it

BTW, Nobody should be blamed ibby, we won the game we should celebrate not blame.
Eduardo fluff his penalty, so what? We WON

sesquioxide

Rain Dance said:
What's got into you? Did Gallas seduce your woman or something?

I saw the goal and although it was a soft goal, it still doesn't merit your hate toward Gallas. It's not purely his fault and he doesn't deserve condemnation.

Gallas went on the media and criticized his teammates for lack of concentration and desire. When disaster strikes because he is guilty of the same, then he absolutely deserves condemnation.

Have you not had enough? From throwing the title away at Old Trafford last season with that conceded penalty (we would be champions if we kept our lead) to not having his contact lenses prepared before some game this season?

I do. Nothing more I hate than hypocrisy and he is the epitome of it.

ibby

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
Gallas went on the media and criticized his teammates for lack of concentration and desire. When disaster strikes because he is guilty of the same, then he absolutely deserves condemnation.

Have you not had enough? From throwing the title away at Old Trafford last season with that conceded penalty (we would be champions if we kept our lead) to not having his contact lenses prepared before some game this season?

What tripe.

You're probably wondering why I hightlighted your post, that's because I want everyone to read it.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
sesquioxide said:

What disaster? Qualifying through penalty is a disaster? First time I heard of this “disaster”
FA Cup win 2005 s a “disaster” then
Brazil 94 WC #4 is a “disaster” too then

So he conceded it on purpose? He ran to a guy and kungfu kick him ala Cantona so we lost....
Last time I checked he was also guilty of some last minute goal that kept our champion run going i.e Arsenal 2-2 Manure at the Emirates

Media power is so powerful .... :roll:

@ibby
care to join?

Feet

Gallas was no more at fault than Toure for conceding that goal. (Infact I personally felt it was closer to Toure and it was his hesitation that allowed the ball to go between them, but that's just my interpretation.)

Gallas is one of the primary reasons we went 6 games on the bounce without conceding a goal through February.

Gallas is one of the few world class football players we still have in the squad and I would not want to be without him. I don't want to lynch him just because the guy's a bit of a fruit cake.

sesquioxide

Rain Dance said:
What disaster? Qualifying through penalty is a disaster? First time I heard of this “disaster”

Last time I checked he was also guilty of some last minute goal that kept our champion run going i.e Arsenal 2-2 Manure at the Emirates.

Media power is so powerful.

A.) We should never have got to the penalty kicks.
B.) Gallas conceded an own goal that very game too ....
C.) So Gallas never criticized his teammates on the media for lacking bottle? Correct me if I'm wrong then.

The original question I asked was if the ratings for Gallas would change if the game was won or lost in the penalty kicks. Would you change your rating had we lost?

sesquioxide

Feet said:
Gallas was no more at fault than Touré for conceding that goal. (Infact I personally felt it was closer to Touré and it was his hesitation that allowed the ball to go between them, but that's just my interpretation.)

Gallas is one of the primary reasons we went 6 games on the bounce without conceding a goal through February.

Gallas is one of the few world class football players we still have in the squad and I would not want to be without him. I don't want to lynch him just because the guy's a bit of a fruit cake.

You are absolutely right. He was in every one of those games in February and he merits credit for getting us the clean sheets. He should continue to play as well, this mistake nonwithstanding.

You are right as well that Toure shares responsiblity for the conceded too. But I make the allowance for Toure but not Gallas because of Gallas media criticisms of his teammates.

I openly admit my bias against Gallas. I don't single out any individual player for criticism (except in something as bad as Eboue's red card against Tottenham), but Gallas has in my opinion earned the microscope on himself by his comments about his teammates.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
sesquioxide said:
Rain Dance said:

Last time I checked he was also guilty of some last minute goal that kept our champion run going i.e Arsenal 2-2 Manure at the Emirates.

If Baptista is not clumsy yes, we should never have to go to penalty. That line is for the Roman fans

Like I said FA Cup 2005... ManUre fans after the game must be saying “ We should never have got to the penalty kicks”

Deliberately? He blocked a cross. And paid in full with his equalizer goal.
How about 1-0 against Chelsea? or the 3-2 comeback

C.) So Gallas never criticized his teammates on the media for lacking bottle? Correct me if I'm wrong then.

So cause he criticize his teammates when they are lacking bottle. So when he lacked bottle you can criticize him.
So can I criticize you when you are lacking bottle? Who am I?

No problem if you criticize Gallas when he made a mistake like last season. The question is “Did he do it last night?” Y or N
Saying that he was to blame cause he didn't took penalty kick was so low dude....

The original question I asked was if the ratings for Gallas would change if the game was won or lost in the penalty kicks. Would you change your rating had we lost?

No, I won't change any ratings when we got to penalty kick after 120 minute.
penalty kicks are mostly lottery and luck (except the Germans)

We WON ! can't we be grateful for that

Your reply to Feet simplify things : blind hate

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Feet said:
Gallas was no more at fault than Touré for conceding that goal. (Infact I personally felt it was closer to Touré and it was his hesitation that allowed the ball to go between them, but that's just my interpretation.)

Simple football rules esp..in defending. You make a move, you better finish it. Gallas moved first for the ball then held back. End of story. I think besides that, both had very good games.

qs

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
Feet said:

You are absolutely right. He was in every one of those games in February and he merits credit for getting us the clean sheets. He should continue to play as well, this mistake nonwithstanding.

You are right as well that Touré shares responsiblity for the conceded too. But I make the allowance for Touré but not Gallas because of Gallas media criticisms of his teammates.

I openly admit my bias against Gallas. I don't single out any individual player for criticism (except in something as bad as Eboue's red card against Tottenham), but Gallas has in my opinion earned the microscope on himself by his comments about his teammates.

If it had been Toure who played the game Gallas did he'd have come under much more criticism. Gallas is a golden boy to some people here, he'd a terrible game in general as well as being responsible (with Toure) for the goal. He got caught up the pitch and we nearly conceded, when Clichy tried to cover Gallas mistake he was lambasted on here. YEt very few criticised Gallas.

sesquioxide is spot on about Gallas putting the microscope on himself.

the dawn raids

Established Member
there are a hell of a lot more people around here who think Gallas is the root of all problems at Arsenal than there are who think hes some sort of golden boy. and yes its undeniable a lot of that burden is self-inflicted; he doesnt have the personality nor the demeanor for the captaincy. but hes going to be an integral part of any success we have the remainder of the year no matter who likes it. hes already been stripped of the captaincy, and is well on the way to being forced out of the club. i dont see much point in repeadetly kicking him when hes down when were going to heavily rely on him to perform until mid may.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
sesquioxide said:
Rain Dance said:

A) This is rubbish, absolutely rubbish if you blame it on Gallas. I personally felt the bigger blame was on those who missed all the tap ins in the first leg. Toure had the bigger blame on the conceded goal. Gallas held back when he saw Toure in a good position to clear it. Toure swing his leg to it but missed.

B) That wasn't his fault. It was more of a deflection.

C) It was his fault, but his initial intention was a good one.

Feet

Since I guess I'm representing the "pro-Gallas" side of things I shall attempt a rebuttle.

I never said Gallas was a "golden boy", I certainly do not believe he can "do no wrong", because he can and has.

Nor did I state or allude one way or the other that I thought he had a good game overall against Roma anywhere. For the record I thought he had an average game by his high standards on Wednesday and was certainly culpable for their goal, along with his partner.

Fact of the matter is, despite his off field shenanigans and drama, he has been by far our most consistant and reliable central defender this season, and some of his performances since he lost the captaincy have been world class. Not all of them, but many of them - you know even Ferdinand, Vidic, Carvalho and Carragher have average games or make mistakes sometimes. One average game and\or one abysmal mistake doesn't doesn't change the fact they are class defenders.

I judge players on how they play football, and as a footballer and a defender Gallas is one of the best in the league.

Despite the fact that he was a **** captain (and he was), he is a drama queen, he's arrogant (no 10? really?), he's got a big mouth that he should keep shut - despite all that he's still a genuine world class defender.

If he goes in the summer I'll understand it, because sometimes personality clashes and off field stuff can become as important as football issues, but as a footballer I'd challenge anyone who says he hasn't been good enough this season. So long as Gallas and his teammates have the shared desire to work together to win and remain proffessional on the pitch (and Toure and Gallas have both said this is the case) then he's still welcome to pull on the shirt in my eyes.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom