• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Arsenal 19.45pm Wednesday 3/11/10

Lord Dula

Established Member
Infuriating watch. For me, that just highlighted just how dependent we are on fabregas.

Should have sent out our best side and sown up the group.

Poor from wenger poor from the team

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Don Pacifico said:
Kroket said:
Just came in, not surprised at all to see we lost the game. We always fail in these type of games no matter what kind of team we put out. Hope no one got hurt and the likes of Cesc & Song return for Newcastle and we'll be good to go.

One thing that annoys me is the lack of passion we've apparantly shown again. It's getting tiresome now, losing would be so much easier to cope with if we'd actually put up a proper fight.

When you admit to having missed the game, you haven't really got much right to criticise the players for lack of passion...

Keyword in bold.

sabret00the

Established Member
There were very few players that could walk away from that performance with their heads held high. Fabianski, Wilshere, Walcott.

Let me go on to say that it didn't help that the ref was a narcissist and that ****ed up the game a little though saved our players from needless injury too.

The problems on the day were the defence. Djourou for example done everything right, it just wasn't his day and that was down to a lack of games. All of the headers he got to first would land straight at an opposition player.

Also looking at Bendtner, he was just having a mare. It was back to the Bendtner of old. The ball had an allergic reaction to him and due to that he kept trying to overcompensate and battering ram his way through their entire team. Something I'd expect of the clueless/hapless Diaby rather than Bendtner who is without a doubt playing for his Arsenal career right now.

A big question has to be directed at Clichy, just what the **** was he thinking? Did he feel he was above the game and that Gibbs should've been there? Is that why he tried some silly ****?

And Eboue? Just what is it that gives him God-status? Showing your shirt into the crowd game after game really shouldn't supersede ineptitude in the way that it does for so many Arsenal supporters.

What pissed me off the most though, is that we brought on Chamakh, he was put through, he could've shot first touch, he could've shot second touch, third touch was stretching it, but he was looking for a ****ing pass and looking to take a fourth touch?! What the **** type of striker is that?

When Walcott went off, I kinda gave up on the game, but it seems our midfield can not cope with dropping so many players Fabregas, Denilson, Song.

It's a shame.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We were bad but I fail to see how Denilson would have been much of an improvement given his recent form.

sabret00the

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
We were bad but I fail to see how Denilson would have been much of an improvement given his recent form.
Oh do grow up. He had one bad performance against Newcastle as did Fabregas and a number of other players. It happens. Denilson hasn't had a run of games yet this season. Expecting him to hit the ground running is quite frankly beyond stupid, it's *.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Disappointing result last night guys. We should have done better. Not incisive enough on the ball and lacking defensively. Thought their forwards played a good game and targeted our full backs to good effect.

I came on here at half time last night and Djourou was taking a bit of a bashing. I think it was unwarranted as he made some vital tackles and interceptions.

Fabianski also made some fantastic saves and Wilshere's through balls were sublime for the most part.

When Vela came on did we change formation? I thought we started to look much more dangerous then.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Absolutely sick of Eboue at this point I have to say. Crap defending all night from him, he was caught upfield numerous times despite offering pretty much no attacking threat. Also tried some ridiculous back-flicks around our area, I can remember 2 occasions at least.

I think the likes of himself and Vela should be close to the door.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
You could give Denilson half a season of games and he wouldn't have made a difference last night. He doesn't add anything to the team that wasn't already on the pitch last night.

Also, I don't why Wenger is persisting with playing Eastmond. The guy looks like he'd blow over in the wind, and it isn't as though he has amazing passing vision or anything else about his game that compensates for it. He should be on loan somewhere learning his trade not in our first team in a Champions Legaue game, he clearly isn't anywhere near ready to play at this level.

A genuine top team that has aspirations for big things should never ever go one nil up in a game like that and let the opposition get back into it so easily. We keep having to learn the same mistake over and over again

CandysRoom

Established Member
ould rather have seen Lansbury last night to be honest. I don't think either would have made that much difference with our fullbacks blase attitude to the game though.

DK Gooner

We have never won in Ukraine before and while wanting the win, I would have been happy coming a way with a draw. The team we sent out was not very good despite it containing some very good/experienced individuals. Given the chances missed, particluarly Squillaci's free header, we should have been able to come away with at least a draw.

Fabianski has been a solid performer of late and could not be faulted for either goal.

Our defensive unit was not so much shambolic, but were just not consistent enough throughout the night. The Eboue experiment has left an individual who's mental aspirations are now further forward than as back-up to Sagna. His decision-making is so poor and often required Eastmond to come across to cover for him. His offensive play was woeful as well. Clichy was admittedly better, but once again, he fails to do the simple thing which has cost us a goal. His crossing returned to his usual standard meaning our 2 FBs contributed nothing positive. Clichy has to step up - I would rather bring in a better LB and offload Clichy than wait to see of Gibbs is the real deal. At the moment Djourou is doing OK for a 4th choice CB, but his technique is suspect considering his supposed attributes. Some good interecptions were tarnished by poor distribution and lack of positioning.

Eastmond is not yet ready for this level, but has was not completely terrible. His positioning was OK and covered well for Eboue. While I think he needs to bulk up a bit, his mobility more than compensates. However what lets him and the team down badly is his passing. Its not attrocious, but far short of the level required for the Arsenal 1st team and it was not good enough on many occasions last night. If and when that gets it up to scratch, he will be a useful squad player, but hes got a lot of work to do.

Rosicky had a mixed bag for me. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as some people made out. He made a few incisive balls which should have resulted in more, but also made some poor decisions as well. I think he really suffered from a lack of real movement upfront. For those questioning his right to be in the team based on yesterday's performance, our first team, including Fabregas, Song etc needed a late winner to beat the team bottom of the PL at home. This makeshift team was playing a CL game away from home and all in all did not put in too bad a performance.

Nasri while much improved this season, has yet to be as influential as he should be. He is neat and tidy with the ball, but disappears far too often. Arshavin for all his poor form has at least the ability to involve himself and force things to happen even if he does **** it up.

Bendtner is still not match fit, but its more a case of Chamakh being rested than Bendtner forcing himself into contention again. He didn't have great night, but Chamakh also showed his downside yesterday in his brief spell on the pitch. Vela wasn't poor, but again did little of note for a forward. JET was a bit more lively when he came on and probably should have been intorduced earlier.

This performance obviously hasn't wrecked our CL campaign, so its not all doom and gloom, but it does serve as a reminder that there are still many flaws in the squad that need to be addressed.

chandraraj

DK Gooner said:
This performance obviously hasn't wrecked our CL campaign, so its not all doom and gloom, but it does serve as a reminder that there are still many flaws in the squad that need to be addressed.

Agreed with most of what you said.

Just don't understand the team selection. Too many reserve team and just reaturning from injuries players. Walcot, Bendy, Eastmond, Djorou, Eboue and Rosicky in the starting line up. We are in strong position, no doubt, but we haven't qualify to the next round yet. So why we fielded a weakened team? Are our players injured?

Anyways, by end of first half, it was clear that Eboue, Eastmond and Bendy were out of depth. So, why no changes made? Wenger is somehow stubborn in changing players after an hour, and to me somtimes its too late. Especially when we are chasing a game!!!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
fabo said:
Absolutely sick of Eboue at this point I have to say. Crap defending all night from him, he was caught upfield numerous times despite offering pretty much no attacking threat. Also tried some ridiculous back-flicks around our area, I can remember 2 occasions at least.
I swear I couldn't tell what position he played if my life depended on it. For pretty much the whole match we played three at the back. Well, three for three-quarters of the width of the field anyway.

I'll be surprised if Eastmond makes it too; just don't see it/anything. JET is more intriguing.

Bossa

Established Member
Eboué and Rosicky are supposed to be experienced players yet they cant carry the team and are unreliable even as squad players.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
It's easy to point the finger at Clichy since he made an 'obvious' mistake/mental error and not for the first time. But he wasn't the biggest problem last night nor the worst player on the pitch. I still have time for Gael.

Herbas

I'm sure even Cesc would look pitiful in such team like yesterday. Eastmond, Bendtner, Eboue, Squillaci made so many poor passes that they killed many of our attacks.

dreamLord

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
It's easy to point the finger at Clichy since he made an 'obvious' mistake/mental error and not for the first time. But he wasn't the biggest problem last night nor the worst player on the pitch. I still have time for Gael.
The thing is, he's either gone backwards or just stagnated over the past 2 years. Waiting for players to come good is costing us seasons. Mentally weak, don't see him turning his performances around.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Incredible goal from Theo though, I thought his overall game was average last night but he got plenty of shots away which is important even when forwards aren't playing at their best(note to Chamakh to shoot next time).

Only a player high on confidence would sidefoot the ball into the bottom corner from outside the box.....reminded me of Henry at the Mestalla/Olympic Stadium.

There's room for improvement but at this point he looks like a very effective forward. Hope he keeps it up.

Bossa

Established Member
The problem is that we cant give Clichy a break every now and then because Gibbs is always out injured. Sagna is being rested all the time unlike Clichy.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom