• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sheffield Utd Vs Arsenal F.C. | Wed,Oct 31st, 7.45pm | B. L.

Mark

Established Member
Didn't see the game, but saw the goals. Two very encouraging strikes from Eduardo. If anything I think it would be best to keep him in the team so he can maintain some kind of momentum. A few times he's scored goals for Croatia and then come back to Arsenal to not even make the bench. It's that experience of being in and out and not being given the chance to find consistency that might have affected his confidence. I think he'd be a good foil for Ade and hopefully now he will feel more like he can score.

Expected to see us in our Barca kit tonight, but disgusted to see we looked more like Sp**s! We'd better be back in yellow next season :p

tam1886

Established Member
Mark said:
Expected to see us in our Barca kit tonight, but disgusted to see we looked more like Sp**s! We'd better be back in yellow next season :p
I thought that too. We don't look as good in all white. It was unusual to see. I don't see why we didn't wear the red shorts, its not as if it was going to make a huge difference in being able to pick someone out.

gunnerGH

Established Member
bojed said:
to think we've lost 1-0 there last season with phil jagielka in goal... argh that's just f*cking wicked criminal!

however i'm upbeat as usual regardless this cup's status.

i think we'll win 0-2.

denilson and eduardo.

Tell you what....that was pretty ****ing close

Good effort bojed

juk380x

To quote my post from the lobby, since I can't be arsed to phrase my thoughts differently ;)

I couldn't watch the game, so the only thing I can comment on are Eduardo's goals. I must say I was surprised with the first one - not at all typical of him, he usually scores well placed shots from within the box, but this cannonball was superb. The other goal is one of his trademarks, clever evasion of offside and a cool, cool finish. I hope he gets a chance against manure.

As for the result, I'm not surprised the our young, out-of-position players did so well. It's not like it's the first time :D Our Carling Cup team could beat almost any best XI in the Prem, bar top four or five (including our forst XI :) ).

Damn, I'd like to see Eduardo start against manure. I have a feeling he'd do well.

sabret00the

Established Member
It wasn't the best performance by us. but it'll do. The team played like it was meshed together though there was lots of positives to take from today's game. Well done to all who had a part in it.

Mark

Established Member
Just watched the highlights. Didn't realise Fabianski was captain! Wenger's reason for Gilberto not getting it was a bit strange. For the first time I think Bert might actually be off in January. I don't think the two of them are on good terms at the moment, but hey, it looked like Flamini would leave and look where he is now. Intriguing.

illmatik

Established Member
Mark said:
Just watched the highlights. Didn't realise Fabianski was captain! Wenger's reason for Gilberto not getting it was a bit strange. For the first time I think Bert might actually be off in January. I don't think the two of them are on good terms at the moment, but hey, it looked like Flamini would leave and look where he is now. Intriguing.

According to SSn, Gilberto wanted Wenger to give Fabianski the armband and Wenger was adament Gilberto is happy here and that he wants all the young guns to succeed

Mark

Established Member
illmatik said:
Mark said:

According to SSn, Gilberto wanted Wenger to give Fabianski the armband and Wenger was adament Gilberto is happy here and that he wants all the young guns to succeed

The gist of it was that because Gilberto wasn't made official captain, he won't step in as captain on any other occasion. I find that pretty strange and it doesn't give a very positive impression, but we'll see.

Gibbs was good, but where was Traore? And why were Lansbury, Barazite and Merida brought on so late in a game that had been over for much of the second half? This is meant to be their competition. I find that a bit disappointing really.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Think they mentioned traore being away with french u21 team in some competition.I would have liked to see more youngsters get more minutes on the pitch but alot of first team quality squad players cant make the 11 and could use the confidence and match fitness, should we be hit by injuries later on.Which is understandable.

Alfonso

Established Member
I find it strange that Gilberto was not made captain, and why out of everybody else was Fabianski captain? That was his only second ever Arsenal game, but there were more senior players who could have got it, e.g. Hoyte. It all suggests to me that Gilberto did actually refuse to play cb, and as a result he did not get the armband. Therefore, there is evidence that rumours of a problem between the two may be true. Wenger's reasons for it were not very convincing either, and he let it slip that there was a minor problem between him and Gilberto!

I mean I would have expected Diarra to play central midfield, Gilberto in central defence as the skipper, and Hoyte at right back. Instead we got Gilberto in midfield, Diarra at right back and Hoyte as CB with Fabianski as captain. A bit strange, no? Especially with a goalkeeper who's made just one first team appearance before tonight being made captain? And what would be the point of playing these youngsters out of position when its this kind of match we need them to perfect their 'understudy' duties incase they get called up to the first team for a EPL or CL game in their favoured positions. They should have played in their favoured positions today. We all know what Gilberto can do as a DMC, but the others need the experience. Diarra must be a little pissed off playing as a RB.

ronitc

think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, to be honest.

Arsène wenger can't be faulted for what's happened to gilberto.

maybe he wasn't notified as quickly as he would have liked about the captaincy this season but in regards to actually being snubbed for the captaincy it was the right decision.

quite a few people on here were suggesting gilberto would no longer be automatic first choice this season and thus would not be a good candidate to be our captain, and it looks like wenger thought along similar lines.

flamini has kept him out of the team on merit and now that his form has dipped over the last couple of matches i'm sure gilberto will get his chance to play. if he doesn't take it he will likely leave sooner rather than later.

famous no 10

Established Member
I think it's fairly obvious why he made Fabianski captain...he couldn't give it to another outfield player after Gilberto, as they are all more or less the same level, or at the same level of experiance with the first team at least...giving it to the goalkeeper was the easiest option.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Give my two cent thought after coming back from the game.

sheffield were, er, just like what Arsenal fans sang on the terrace, sh*t for the championship, too sh*t for the Premiership.

Song was very impressive, so was Diarra. I though Gilberto was a CB, but it looked like he played as DM. Gibbs played more like a LB though and he did very very well in that position. Diaby was a bit laxed throughout the game. He even tried to nutmeg a United player... and failed...right in the team's final third! Diaby was good of his own with the ball but didn't connect well with Gibbs. Gibbs was not very determined in going forward and shouting for ball. DIaby's constant cutting inside didn't help Gibbs in that aspect either. Bendtner fought very hard for the ball, Theo should've scored but he needes to release the ball earlier and more crisp. Fabianski was very solid for the whole match, very commanding in the area.

At HT, I was a bit surprised by Barazite's skill level. Some of his movement looked like a pro. Lansbury and Merida were very good on the ball, too. All three kids can do flip-flop in verious way, even when the ball was off the ground.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
bojed said:
RC8 said:
bojed said:
morgan's at the back for sheff utd.

the ugly fat koont who punched robin in the lad's belly / chest.

If the "Janitor" from Scrubs decided to make a living out of playing football, he'd be Chris Morgan...

haha he does look like the janitor from scrubs doesn't he?

wish somebody would stick the mop up his arse.

RC8 said:
I'm looking forward to watching how the team will play. Last season we couldn't string 2 passes together at Bramall Lane. Did we even have a shot on goal? That game was tragic.

iirc, we only had 2 shots on target, 1 in the 1st half and the other was in the 2nd half, and i believe it was when jagielka played as the GK.

the embarrassment was f*cking armadillo unbearable that day.

rrowlllll :evil:

RC8 said:
It will be a tough test for our players, but I believe we can do it.

3-0 to us.

bendtner, eduardo and denilson.

8))

awooga83

Established Member
Alfonso said:
I find it strange that Gilberto was not made captain, and why out of everybody else was Fabianski captain? That was his only second ever Arsenal game, but there were more senior players who could have got it, e.g. Hoyte. It all suggests to me that Gilberto did actually refuse to play cb, and as a result he did not get the armband. Therefore, there is evidence that rumours of a problem between the two may be true. Wenger's reasons for it were not very convincing either, and he let it slip that there was a minor problem between him and Gilberto!

Pretty much agree with that or if Wengers version is correct then Gilberto may have said if you didn't want me to be captain from the start then I don't want to be one at all give it to someone else.

Wenger even let slip that there was a minor problem and i think its clear there is, it was a little reminiscent of the interview about Henry at Sp**s where something just didn't seem right, not as bad but still.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom