• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sheffield Utd Vs Arsenal F.C. | Wed,Oct 31st, 7.45pm | B. L.

mood

Mark said:
Just watched the highlights. Didn't realise Fabianski was captain! Wenger's reason for Gilberto not getting it was a bit strange. For the first time I think Bert might actually be off in January. I don't think the two of them are on good terms at the moment, but hey, it looked like Flamini would leave and look where he is now. Intriguing.

Gilberto suggested it:

"Because I didn't involve him from the start of the season, and he said 'okay give a chance to the younger players to get into that role'," he concluded.

"You could see that the real leader on the field was Gilberto again. He leads the young players well. In the end who has the armband doesn't matter too much.

"What raises my eyebrows is that people want to create problems where there are no problems. I would like to help you and say that there is a problem, but we don't have one on that front. I can insist this. I cannot help you."

SKYSPORTS.com

Whatever it was , it was a very professional performance from Gilberto.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Mark said:
illmatik said:
Mark said:
Just watched the highlights. Didn't realise Fabianski was captain! Wenger's reason for Gilberto not getting it was a bit strange. For the first time I think Bert might actually be off in January. I don't think the two of them are on good terms at the moment, but hey, it looked like Flamini would leave and look where he is now. Intriguing.

According to SSn, Gilberto wanted Wenger to give Fabianski the armband and Wenger was adament Gilberto is happy here and that he wants all the young guns to succeed

The gist of it was that because Gilberto wasn't made official captain, he won't step in as captain on any other occasion. I find that pretty strange and it doesn't give a very positive impression, but we'll see.

Gibbs was good, but where was Traore? And why were Lansbury, Barazite and Merida brought on so late in a game that had been over for much of the second half? This is meant to be their competition. I find that a bit disappointing really.

Watched the match Mark I can tell you that the three sub that came on are not quite ready to start Lansbury in particular does not look physically ready , Traore is on international duty . Who does impress me and seems a cut above the three subs is Gibbs , was impressed when I saw his against Inter and was impressed again here , Top quality ball to Eduardo for the 2nd goal.

Zico

Established Member
Watched the game. Was delighted throughout. A few broad comments:

1) We did not move the ball around well until late into the game. I thought the players did not make the ball work. We had a lot of running to no particular place. The main guilty party was Diaby, but others were complicit. The main problem was our running off the ball. Players were not making runs into space, and oftentimes we found ourselves with two players on the ball in front of the 18 yard box. I'm sure over the next couple of games the kids will sort this.

2. Denilson grew into the game. He was nervous and disorganised at first, but by the end he looked like Baby Fabregas, sending intelligent passes down the wings. He was my MOTM. His Brazilian cohorts, Eduardo and Gilberto were also impressive; while Song and Diarra had very productive days at the office.

3. Sheffield were not a great attacking team, but throughout the field they had a superb trap defense. Everytime one of our guys had the ball, he was surrounded by three or four goons, and in the first half we were often dispossesed, particularly on the wings. If their right centre back had been a bit more alert, they could've given us a hellish encounter yesterday.

qs

Established Member
What I got from Wengers comments was that because Bert wasn't part of the CC team from the start (and he probably hopes he can get out of it and back into the first team) he felt a youngster deserved the armband.

The impression I get from the whole situation is that Wenger and Bert have sat down and talked about Berts role in a civilised way. You have to respect Bert for the way he goes about things, no whinging to the press, no lack of commitment last night, no huff when he's brought off the bench. He's a real class act.

spartan239

Was anyone at all concerned by Fabianski's somewhat erratic descision making, a lot of times where he could have comfortably caught balls, he choose to pucnh them a few times giving Sheffild possession back, in this match it didnt matter but against a better team you often get punished for silly things like this, hopefully with experience hell learn when the right time to do which is...

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
watched the whole game. fabianski did well, but some of his moves though was done well, was questionable.

for eg, he could have caught the ball but chose to punch it. not a good option but he punched it very well away. can be excused as he is very rusty and have not played any games since newcastle. reflexes was very fast and made a good save early on.

hoyte played well, quite commanding in defence. song was shaky but decent. gibbs, for his first time playing in leftback, did superbly with a great throughball for eduardo's goal. diarra was fantastic on the right with has rampaging runs. he is really a good rightback.

shall comment more on the players rating thread.

on the team as a whole, i thought ALL the players playing yesterday wants to impress and get first team action. right from the start they were all running like mad and i was quite shock. but then they could afford to waste their stamina since it will be awhile more before they get another game. wenger should be rotating a wee bit more.

was quite disappointed to see our 3 youngster brought off the bench so late in the game that we couldn't see their potential again

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
It seems were now used to winning so the victories dont really sink in

But make no mistake, everything aside, this was a superb performance by our boys

I know for a fact fergie is jealous and scared of our youngsters prospects whilst wathing his young ones get taught a bg lesson up their own ground by a championshipship team

We are spoilt with a great core of younsters and yes most are english BTW

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
arsenal_hleb said:
watched the whole game. fabianski did well, but some of his moves though was done well, was questionable.

for eg, he could have caught the ball but chose to punch it. not a good option but he punched it very well away. can be excused as he is very rusty and have not played any games since newcastle. reflexes was very fast and made a good save early on.

hoyte played well, quite commanding in defence. song was shaky but decent. gibbs, for his first time playing in leftback, did superbly with a great throughball for eduardo's goal. diarra was fantastic on the right with has rampaging runs. he is really a good rightback.

shall comment more on the players rating thread.

on the team as a whole, i thought ALL the players playing yesterday wants to impress and get first team action. right from the start they were all running like mad and i was quite shock. but then they could afford to waste their stamina since it will be awhile more before they get another game. wenger should be rotating a wee bit more.

was quite disappointed to see our 3 youngster brought off the bench so late in the game that we couldn't see their potential again

I wasnt!! That way, when they get a 5-10 taster they would want more and would aim to stake a place in the carling cup side next year or next match

It will only help their performances in the long run. Say, henri, nacer and fran got 20-25 minutes they might get complacent in reserves and belief they are better than that level

Wenger is playing the slowly but surely game and I can see what hes doing

Zico

Established Member
Emir, there's also the other side of the coin. He wanted to see how well the starters were doing for as long as possible with a view to shaping this weekend's line-up.

Based on this performance, I think that Denilson and Diarra should have a claim on the bench, while Walcott, Eduardo and Gilberto are in the argument for a starting berth.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

quincy42 said:
Emir, there's also the other side of the coin. He wanted to see how well the starters were doing for as long as possible with a view to shaping this weekend's line-up.

Based on this performance, I think that Denilson and Diarra should have a claim on the bench, while Walcott, Eduardo and Gilberto are in the argument for a starting berth.
Just what I was thinking.
Landsbury doesn't look physically ready to me from the little I saw. I can't remember any of the late subs touching the ball really..The only one who looks up for it is Gibbs, who had 90 mins..but still.
Eduardo and Gilberto have to start...Unless its injury, I will be disapointed if they don't.

ronitc

spartan239 said:
Was anyone at all concerned by Fabianski's somewhat erratic descision making, a lot of times where he could have comfortably caught balls, he choose to pucnh them a few times giving Sheffild possession back

if by a lot of times you mean the only 2 times he punched the ball, then yes, you're right. well, actually you're wrong because he comfortably caught everything else.

spartan239

ronitc said:
spartan239 said:
Was anyone at all concerned by Fabianski's somewhat erratic descision making, a lot of times where he could have comfortably caught balls, he choose to pucnh them a few times giving Sheffild possession back

if by a lot of times you mean the only 2 times he punched the ball, then yes, you're right. well, actually you're wrong because he comfortably caught everything else.

2 time too many he gifted the opposition the ball, yes he played well apart form that, but thats 2 times too many that he gave the ball away when catching it was far easier.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Great turn out from the away boys last night.

A sell out and 90% stood. I was amazed.

Sheff Utd were almost as pathetic as Liverpool, both on and off the pitch!

Diarra looks an immense player.

And how any of you nerds can pick holes in this performance is beyond me.

RC8

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:

Well said. It's unbelievable how someone could see something wrong with the battering we gave to Sheffield Utd with our 2nd string of players.

Gurgen

Established Member
Watched it from the 30th minute. Thought we were totally in control, not once we look hurried or threatened. We exposed Sheffield for the brainless ****e they are. How on earth did we lose there last season? Outstanding performers were Diarra, Denilson and Eduardo.

tam1886

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:

What's with the nerd comment?

I don't think it was a bad performance, but I don't think they kicked out of second gear. Which I'm glad of to be honest. That would be my only criticism of the game, of which even I can't really moan about because it doesn't bother me. However, people are allowed their opinions.

ricky1985

Established Member
RC8 said:
RockyRocastle said:

Well said. It's unbelievable how someone could see something wrong with the battering we gave to Sheffield Utd with our 2nd string of players.

last night, when the game was nearing its end, I thought what would I make of a team fielding a complete side of reserve players, some as young as 18 and not only beating Sheffield United at Brammall Lane, but destroying them and playing awesome football along the way.

If it were Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham I would be incredibly jealous and probably a little bitter (a lot bitter). And would be very worried that we didnt compare and would also be fed up with reading the eulogising of them in the papers.
So I came to the conclusion that this is probably how most of our rival fans feel and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

Top Bottom