• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi (Out)

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,110
  • Views 308,923
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Thunter was pretty excited as far as I can remember. We were signing a highly regarded CB for the first time in years.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not saying anything against this, it's more the tendency of acting like a godlike judge of player abilities when he's clearly been dead wrong frequently. + The odd habit of judging players he almost doesn't know just because.
Wrong when though? I was against Willian. I was against Lichstenier and this forum loved that transfer so much that I had to quit the forum for the amount of abuse I was getting.

I get lots of stuff wrong, my football knowledge is terrible, but this Mustafi thing is funny to me. You could see he was a error prone defender but AM were acting like we’re signing Rio Ferdinand.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Nah, he watched him at Everton and hated him. Think Everton is his local team or something.
He never made an appearance for Everton. So THunter watched Everton yourh/U21/U23s at the time? Interesting.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He never made an appearance for Everton. So THunter watched Everton yourh/U21/U23s at the time? Interesting.
I’m sure we had this discussion before? Or it was someone else. Struggled in training i think, wasn’t considered good enough.

THunter was spot on though, in the end.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Even if we just got a couple of million it's better than nothing plus his wages gone

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Koscielny never made school boy errors? Lmao he was the king of schoolboy errors, don't you remember him kicking the ball right into Greizmann in the Europa?

He was shot by that point. Not denying that he doesn't have his fair share of brain fart moments. But his good performances have far out weighted his bad. Every defender makes school boy errors even mertasacker.

Mustafi shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Pascal Cygan let alone kos. Not forgetting we paid £30m for him expecting him to have world class potential.

Last edited:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Koscielny was top quality without a doubt. Had we made better choices than Per, Mustafi, Djorou etc as his partner we'd have been closer to a title. Once the injuries and age caught up we fell of a cliff.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I will accept pressing defenders like Toure and Kos making some mistakes, they play a high risk/high reward style, it's why they suited Arsène's style...but with Mustafi there is almost never any rewards to whatever his style of defending is, it's ridiculous the amount of errors he makes.

Kos made a lot of erros from around 2017 on, as his legs were going...but even then I would still take a Laurent on one broken ankle, over the steaming mess that is Shkodran.

Koscielny was making errors from his first day here, he was pretty crap but Arsenal fans make legends of loads of average or subpar players so I'm not shocked guys like you rate him.

BigPoppaPump

Koscielny was top quality without a doubt. Had we made better choices than Per, Mustafi, Djorou etc as his partner we'd have been closer to a title. Once the injuries and age caught up we fell of a cliff.

"Top quality" :lol: Koscielny on his best days was just good, he made mistakes in literally every game just wasn't always punished for it. I think only Arsenal fans rate him tbh, once France dropped him they won the world cup.

He was shot by that point. Not denying that he doesn't have his fair share of brain fart moments. But his good performances have far out weighted his bad. Every defender makes school boy errors even mertasacker.

Mustafi shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Pascal Cygan let alone Mustafi. Not forgetting we paid £30m for him expecting him to have world class potential.

He had so many bad performances though, it's just that he was popular with fans so it got swept under the rug. If Mustafi or Mertesacker did the things he did everyone would be ready to bury him, but when you have pace people rate you. Back then Arsenal fans would tear down Metesacker and act like he wasn't good enough when he was way better than Koscielny and actually made Kos look competent.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Koscielny was making errors from his first day here, he was pretty crap but Arsenal fans make legends of loads of average or subpar players so I'm not shocked guys like you rate him.

Guys like me?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He had a run from 2013-2016 where he was a good player. He was a really good 1v1 player and had a good pace, but struggled with the traditional aspects of defending in the PL, like areal duels ect. Having Per next to him to calm everything down was a great foil for him.

He was a good player, but overated by Arsenal fans imo.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Always felt Koscielny was a good "number 2" center back, but not the sort of guy you want as your leader in the backline, like a Van Dijk or a Terry for example.

That being said he was in a different league Mustafi (the worst pound for pound defender I've seen at the club).

BigPoppaPump

He had a run from 2013-2016 where he was a good player. He was a really good 1v1 player and had a good pace, but struggled with the traditional aspects of defending in the PL, like areal duels ect. Having Per next to him to calm everything down was a great foil for him.

He was a good player, but overated by Arsenal fans imo.

See this is a reasonable take I can agree with. Next to Mertesacker he was good, he had pace and could go forward. But he was bullied by guys like Costa on the regular and was terrified of bums like Shane Long. The guy was the type of defender you'd love to play against because he was soft af. Getting put in headlocks by guys like Quresma who is literally 5'6.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Guys who are easily swayed tend to like to agree with everyone, sheepish, a bit wet. You know what I mean.

Ah, fair enough!

I think Kos was a good player for Arsenal, not a great one...he might be overrated by fans due to us not having that many expectational defensive players since the stadium move, though I can't imagine many ranking him that highly, tbh.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
"Top quality" :lol: Koscielny on his best days was just good, he made mistakes in literally every game just wasn't always punished for it. I think only Arsenal fans rate him tbh, once France dropped him they won the world cup.

He had so many bad performances though, it's just that he was popular with fans so it got swept under the rug. If Mustafi or Mertesacker did the things he did everyone would be ready to bury him, but when you have pace people rate you. Back then Arsenal fans would tear down Metesacker and act like he wasn't good enough when he was way better than Koscielny and actually made Kos look competent.
Every player makes mistakes every game. All games would end 0-0 otherwise. France also dropped Benzema and won the World Cup with Giroud as the starter. Doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom