• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Slavia Prague VS Arsenal FC | Wed, Nov7th, 7.45pm | ERS

phenn

Bendtner and Walcott were absolutely abysmal. That said the game was in general sloppy as hell and it's hard for anyone to look particularly good.

It's over, we're through, more than you can say for Liverpool, let's just be happy and move on.

Alfonso

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
dublingunner said:
Tony Montana said:
Lol. One bad game come on man!

3 draws. We should have won at least one of those. I take it as a slump because we've stepped up a lot this season.

It is actually 2 draws in a row, but we have drawn 3 out of 4 of our last games. But of course we played Liverpool away and Man Utd at home, so you look at it relatively. Just because we did not win 6-0 today doesnt mean we are suddenly in decline.

You cant play pretty football and score 3 every week, nor will we get the headlines every week. Which can be good in a way, allows us to not get too carried away and focus on the tasks and challenges ahead.

Also, this a Champions League match away from home in parts of Europe where we struggle to win traditionally, plus the fact we played practically a second team. Its one thing beating Sheifled Utd away 3-0 with your second team and its another doing to same when your in the CL away from home.

And lets give Slavia some creidt. No, they are not the best team in the world, but they showed they had some pride, and all their players gave 100%. Today was one of the hardest matches we have faced all season, and we were lucky to get a point. They played a very astute game and did their homework. They kept doing sublte fouls so our attack never built up moves, they had two players on our players at most times, and they played with a high tempo and intensity. They never allowed us into the game. The weather conditions did not help as well. But the Arsenal of last year would have lost this one.

Them loosing 7-0 to us was their greatest motivation.

However, we must not play the same team against Sevilla. It is vitally important we finish 1st in this group.

To conclude, we were severley tested tonight, but got the job done and are through, which is the main thing. Im sure most people would have taken guranteed qualification into the last 16 with two games to go. And this game has also proved then even though we have improved this season, we still have to earn the right to play, and not everyone will be walkovers.

Almunia, man of the match. Showed good bottle after the 'incidents' of Sat. Walcott was the most disapointing out of all our players. The guy's delivery is so poor, from crosses, from corners. So contray to what Ricky1985 has to say, he still has a long way to go. And its games like this you are tested in, not Sunderland or Bolton at home.

Lukazan

Established Member
Horrible game to watch but it was always going to be like that really.

If we'd had Fabregas or Hleb on the pitch we might have won the match through a moment of creative brilliance, but I don't think the performance would have been to much better.

The 7-0 thrashing gave Prague something to prove, the weather was awful and we knew a point was enough to seal victory. It had all the ingredients to be ****e and it was.

kamikaze80

Established Member
gunnerGH said:
Tony Montana said:
gunnerGH said:
How sad are Slavia's fans. 0-0 and loving it.

Play for a draw at home....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING
Against Arsenal for them?
Celtic v Milan

Complete contrast
celtic is totally different from slavia. i dont know what you want from slavia, let us score 7 goals again? yes, theyre a smaller club, so what? why mock them for it?

kamikaze80

Established Member
TheThoss said:
gunnerGH said:
Gurgen said:
Tony Montana said:
It's not a meaningless game because we want to finish top of our group. I don't want Sevilla to overtake us.
They won't. We still play them no? And have those other amateurs at home.
They will mate. a win against us and their laughing.
We will destroy.
sevilla will beat slavia and we will beat steaua. that means we have to not lose in seville. thats far from a sure thing, especially when you consider the match congestion in the winter period. i do think finishing first will be important given the teams that look likely to finish top and those finishing 2nd - plus, we get the 2nd leg at home, which i think is an advantage.

sesquioxide

kamikaze80 said:
sevilla will beat slavia and we will beat steaua. that means we have to not lose in seville.

I don't think we can say for sure that Sevilla can beat Slavia at Prague. Unless in the next game Sevilla beats us at home and Slavia beats or draws Steaua, any other outcome will almost certainly see Slavia giving a very tough game for Sevilla at Prague.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

In truth our first stringers struggled in Eastern Europe this season and were saved by late goals , so I don't think we did badly at all and considering the weather and what happened last time we played them it was always going to be a struggle.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Haha, yeah, I guess it's not as good when you read it hours and hours after the match. Lots of people were hanging their heads and starting to question if we were good enough. I said that Fergie's remarks had gotten to us.

air

It would be crucial to get Fabregas & co. rested but I'm having second thoughts after looking at first-placed and second-placed teams in the groups right now.

1st: Porto, Chelsea, R. Madrid, Milan, Barca, Man Utd, Inter and us.

2nd: Marseille, Rosenborg, Shakhtar, Lazio, Roma, Rangers, Fenerbahce, Sevilla.

Enough said.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
AW comments on the game
Arsène Wenger said:
"The young players could play in Seville. To finish first is important. You play a team that is second and the second game is at home, so it is a double advantage. I have not looked at the groups; it is a bit early to speculate who we might play."

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Thommybhoy said:
AW comments on the game
Arsène Wenger said:
"The young players could play in Seville. To finish first is important. You play a team that is second and the second game is at home, so it is a double advantage. I have not looked at the groups; it is a bit early to speculate who we might play."

I fear that the boss is thinking with his heart over his head on this one. Undoubtedly missed a trick last night. 'Rotating' per se is fine, but the balance of the team should not be affected as a consequence.

Yesterday's line-up was terribly lop-sided. I honestly think he would have been better off giving Merida a go in the role he played Diaby. We lacked creative isntinct but then again it's not really the fault of those who played - it's just that we were not playing a poor Sheffield United here and I think it would have made more sense resting 1 of Cesc or Hleb, not both.

Winning the group is a must. Fergie tried to be clever and did the same sort of thing a couple of years ago. Job not done yet in my book - qualification from the group we had was surely the minimum to be expected.

qs

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Thommybhoy said:
AW comments on the game
Arsène Wenger said:

I fear that the boss is thinking with his heart over his head on this one. Undoubtedly missed a trick last night. 'Rotating' per se is fine, but the balance of the team should not be affected as a consequence.

Yesterday's line-up was terribly lop-sided. I honestly think he would have been better off giving Merida a go in the role he played Diaby. We lacked creative isntinct but then again it's not really the fault of those who played - it's just that we were not playing a poor Sheffield United here and I think it would have made more sense resting 1 of Cesc or Hleb, not both.

Winning the group is a must. Fergie tried to be clever and did the same sort of thing a couple of years ago. Job not done yet in my book - qualification from the group we had was surely the minimum to be expected.

Come on, those players beat Newcastles first 11 away. Slavia are not superior to Newcastle.

People are getting carried away here. I disagreeed with certain things last night but not resting Hleb and Fab, that was definitely necessary. You want those 2 at their best the league, Wenger did the right thing by not resting them until now. We are qualified, whoever we get next isn't as important as people make out. So what if we get Real, Barca or AC in the next round, if they're that good we'll have to beat them at some stage anyway to win it. I agree that the balance was a bit off, who play Eduardo right and Diaby in the hole, utter nonsense that. MErida would've been destroyed last night. It was no time to give him a run. Hopefully the likes of Theo, Song, Diaby and Denilson will have learned from it, they gave us the Bolton treatment and thats something thats made the likes of Fab, Helb, Robin and Ade stronger hopefully it will for them too.

We're still massive favourites to finish top anyway. Beat Steau and get any result at Seville and its done.

ricky1985

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Tony Montana said:
dublingunner said:
Tony Montana said:
Lol. One bad game come on man!

3 draws. We should have won at least one of those. I take it as a slump because we've stepped up a lot this season.

It is actually 2 draws in a row, but we have drawn 3 out of 4 of our last games. But of course we played Liverpool away and Man Utd at home, so you look at it relatively. Just because we did not win 6-0 today doesnt mean we are suddenly in decline.

You cant play pretty football and score 3 every week, nor will we get the headlines every week. Which can be good in a way, allows us to not get too carried away and focus on the tasks and challenges ahead.

Also, this a Champions League match away from home in parts of Europe where we struggle to win traditionally, plus the fact we played practically a second team. Its one thing beating Sheifled Utd away 3-0 with your second team and its another doing to same when your in the CL away from home.

And lets give Slavia some creidt. No, they are not the best team in the world, but they showed they had some pride, and all their players gave 100%. Today was one of the hardest matches we have faced all season, and we were lucky to get a point. They played a very astute game and did their homework. They kept doing sublte fouls so our attack never built up moves, they had two players on our players at most times, and they played with a high tempo and intensity. They never allowed us into the game. The weather conditions did not help as well. But the Arsenal of last year would have lost this one.

Them loosing 7-0 to us was their greatest motivation.

However, we must not play the same team against Sevilla. It is vitally important we finish 1st in this group.

To conclude, we were severley tested tonight, but got the job done and are through, which is the main thing. Im sure most people would have taken guranteed qualification into the last 16 with two games to go. And this game has also proved then even though we have improved this season, we still have to earn the right to play, and not everyone will be walkovers.

Almunia, man of the match. Showed good bottle after the 'incidents' of Sat. Walcott was the most disapointing out of all our players. The guy's delivery is so poor, from crosses, from corners. So contray to what Ricky1985 has to say, he still has a long way to go. And its games like this you are tested in, not Sunderland or Bolton at home.

Well done for getting that one in.
Denilson looked like a park player last night, does that mean he is useless and still has a long way to go? Gilberto Silva was a pale immitation of his usual self does that mean he is not good enough? Eduardo has scored more times than Brad Pitt in recent times but was anonymous last night, is he not up to it then?

Walcott played poorly, but so did everyone. The weather was horrible, the pitch was ****, the crowd were volatile, the opponents were frothing at the mouth after their humilliation at the Emirates.
Just because it is Walcott you cannot suddenly say he is not good enough, he has shown already that HE is good enough. He was awesome against Slavia at home (thats the Champs. League aint it?) and we all know about his performances in the Premiership.

BTW Bolton and Sunderland are every bit as good, if not better than Slavia Prague. Slavia wish they had Anelka up front, Jaaskerlainen or Gordon in goal.

Top Bottom