• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

goldengod

GK-Leno, Martinez, Macey
RB-Bellerin, AMN, Chambers
RCB-Sokrates, Holding, Chambers, Mavro
LCB- Luiz, Holding, Chambers, Nacho
LB- Tierney, Nacho, Kola
CDM- Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi
CM- Ceballos, Willock, ESR, Guendouzi
AM- Özil, Ceballos, ESR
RW- Pepe, Nelson, Saka
LW- Auba, Nelson, Martinelli
ST- Auba, Laca, Pepe, Martinelli

All kinds of options. I'm not too bothered about what formations Emery plays as long as we play sexy.

And looking at that squad, RB, GK, CB, CDM and a CM(if Ceballos doesn't extend) are our most apparent weakness.
That squad is not far off from being an elite team imo. What it really lacks is a world class CB and CM, and a proper deputy RB because fullbacks are so imperative to modern football.

It's easily doable for this squad to transform next summer into a serious rival to Liverpool/City especially if we can make it back into the CL to have more financial power to secure 2 world class signings.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Macey, Willock, Smith Rowe, Nelson and Nketiah are all on the club website as first team players.

Martinelli and Saka aren’t.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Genuine question: Why does everyone rate Holding higher than Chambers as a centre back?

Higher ceiling in my opinion. I struggle to see one aspect of the game where Chambers is better. Both are pretty good on the ball and neither of them are quick. Holding however is more aerially dominant, stronger physically and generally more assured in my opinion even though as often before his injury seems to make a lot of people here overrate him quite a bit.

Tomb Bombadil

It's gonna be interessting how much Emery will rotate in the EL. I hope a lot. I guess Willock/Guendouzi won't play as much in the PL with all midfielders fit Xhaka, Torreira, Ceballos, Özil. But can Guendouzi and Willock play together in CM? I would love to see something like this in the beginning (depending on opponent):

Martinez
RB - Chambers - Holding - Kolasinac
Guendouzi - Willock
Mkhitaryan- ESR - Nelson
Martinelli
A very young team, but still think more than capabable. Maybe a Torreira/Xhaka in the middle would help.

Question about the RB position. AMN needs some rest, he had some injury problems before. If Mustafi is still here. He could play this part.

Last edited:

Toast

Established Member
With the first few games behind us we're now getting a first glimpse at this season's squad hierarchy. Most notably, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan, and Özil appear to have dropped down.

Xhaka seems to start only when there are no other options. E.g. against Newcastle Ceballos wasn't fit yet. Against Everton he was the only option at the base of the midfield four, since Toreira wasn't fit to start. Chambers could arguably have started, but I don't think Emery sees him as a DM. Mkhi has obviously been replaced by Pepe and is now a squad player instead of starter. Özil was already a bit-part player last season, but it seems likely he's pushed further down the ladder this season. Emery's preferred role at 10 is more of a 8/10 blend, which Özil is not suited to. Ceballos is preferred for the starting position, and I suspect he'd also favour Willock in that position over Özil in most games. This season Özil's status as starting player is certainly gone, in my view.

Mustafi, Elneny and Monreal are obviously also down the ladder, with the former two being told to **** off and the latter leaving the club through the front door.

A few spots are still up in the air, most notably whether Sokratis or Luiz will make way for Holding and whether Nelson will start a significant number of games at LW at the expense of Lacazette or Aubameyang. With those caveats in mind, it seems that Emery is veering towards the following hierarchy:

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
RB: Bellerin, AMN
CB: Sokratis, Chambers, Mavropanos
CB: Luiz, Holding*
LB: Tierney, Kolasinac
CM: Toreira, Guendouzi*
CM: Willock, Xhaka
CAM: Ceballos, Özil, ESR
RW: Pepe
ST: Aubameyang, Lacazette
LW: Aubameyang, Nelson*, Martinelli

First names start. * indicates the preferred player to be brought on/start if multiple are available for that position. E.g. out of the three subs for CB Holding is most likely to start if either Luiz or Sokratis is out.

Overall, I think our starting lineup relatively closely resembles the types Emery wants in those positions. In a perfect world he'd probably prefer somebody more capable on the ball at CB instead of Sokratis and he'd probably prefer not to start Auba at LW.

In terms of backups, Xhaka, Mkhi, Özil and Kolasinac seems to be mismatch for the type of game Emery wants to play. AMN is too, but gets a pass since he's arguably playing out of position.

We really had a great summer and we now have the core of a great squad. We're not quite there yet, and I suspect lack of depth (in both quality and suitable types) will come to haunt us at some point during the season, but we should be able to put together a complete and balanced squad in a year or two.

Last edited:

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
First-team squad 2019/20:

Goalkeeper
Leno
Martinez
Macey

Defenders
Luiz
Tierney
Bellerin
Mustafi
Sokratis
Mavropanos
Holding
Kolasinac
Maitland-Niles
Chambers

Midfielders
Torreira
Ceballos
Guendouzi
Xhaka
Özil
Mkhitaryan
Nelson
Smith-Rowe
Willock

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Pepe
Martinelli​

Updated

HBL

Established Member
Lacazette
Aubameyang - Ceballos - Pepe
Guendouzi - Torreira
Tierney - Luiz - Holding - Bellerin
Leno

Martinelli/John Jules
Saka - Özil - Nelson
Xhaka - Willock
Kola - Sokratis - Chambers - AMN
Martinez
Assuming Mustafi/Mkhi leave once everyone is back that looks like our squad. Looks more than enough to finish top four imo & promising youngsters should get lots of games.

zhaggy

I believe there a couple of things needed before we become a truly great team. A top CB who´s calm and has real leadership qualities.
Figuring out the best possible midfield constellation, be it a new signing or tweaking with existing personnel.

And i also feel we´re dependent on Tierny & Bellerin to improve on the wing-back positions.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Getting rid of Nacho and Mkhi on top of all the other senior guns (Licht, Cech, Welbeck, Ramsey) we're quickly becoming one of the youngest squads filled with talented youngsters in the league.

Tremendous work by Raul and the team.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
We've released a sh*t ton of wages this summer. Could easily dip into the January window and get a couple of players in

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Hoping somebody can answer this...

What's Arsenal's training schedule like on a normal day during the season? How many hours are they on the pitch working on tactics for the next match, working on fitness, in the gym, etc etc?

al-Ustaadh

We've released a sh*t ton of wages this summer. Could easily dip into the January window and get a couple of players in
Or just one in Zaha... Which is clearly my preference. Think we'd lock down 3rd place if that happened as well as make for a couple of interesting matches against City and Liverpool.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Or just one in Zaha... Which is clearly my preference. Think we'd lock down 3rd place if that happened as well as make for a couple of interesting matches against City and Liverpool.
Haven't been encouraged by him this season if I'm perfectly honest. Been running down blind alleys and losing possession constantly.

al-Ustaadh

Haven't been encouraged by him this season if I'm perfectly honest. Been running down blind alleys and losing possession constantly.
Bull honky.

That's what happens when you're your team's only attacking threat. Teams put triple the players on him, so it comes off like that. Defensively teams wouldn't be able to have the luxury of even double teaming him if he played for us. He'd have so many one v ones. Him and Pepe on either wing would be extremely dangerous for the opposition.

Also keep in mind he clearly doesn't want to be there...

Last edited:

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Bull honky.

That's what happens when you're your team's only attacking threat. Teams put triple the players on him, so it comes off like that. Defensively teams wouldn't be able to have the luxury of even double teaming him. He'd have so many one v ones. Him and Pepe on either wing would be extremely dangerous for the opposition.

Also keep in mind he clearly doesn't want to be there...
Whether he wants to be or there or not, I'm not concerned about that. He hasn't been a team player from what I've seen so far this season. Against Sheffield he kept trying to take two, three players at a time and failed almost every time, instead of passing or crossing to teammates in great positions. Same against United. Ayew looked the much bigger threat than Zaha all game. He did have a part in the 2nd goal tbf.

pikey2000

For me LW is still a priority, will complete the attack which albeit is improved still seems a bit disjointed with Auba wide left.

I'd agree on Zaha, LW is clearly in need of an upgrade barring Neilson taking off which looks unlikely, if we can get LW upgraded then we can rotate Aub/Laca at centre where they belong.

Pepe clearly belongs at RW, and despite note scoring yet causing havoc, Auba/Laca at CF has goals regardless of who plays, we just need another real LW similar to Pepe i.e Zaha and that forward line will take off.

Other than that CB and CM are the obvious choices where an established, top level player will send us up levels.

Top Bottom