• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
There is a wishlist topic in the transfer section.
This is a decent thread sometimes but it's currently spammed by football manager players and their wishlist of 10 players we need to bring asap!

Instead of bringing in a whole new team, I think a new manager should focus on how the current team is pressing and winning the ball back. This is one area that can be trained and we are absolutely shocking at it.
After that, we would have a better understanding of who fits the system and which areas we need to improve.
There is also a big issue with the ball control, but having Ceballos back and maybe introducing ESR as part of our midfield, that problem could be resolved more easily.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I still feel the nuts and bolts are there for a good team.

We must be in a tiny minority who still believe in that. I think people underestimate the difference a good manager can have on a team. Setting them up correctly, minimising weaknesses, instilling belief, getting individuals to play as a team can transform a sorry bunch of players into a very efficient collective force.

We should have no problems in attack, there is more than enough quality there. Defence needs a bit of work but again I find it hard to believe our defenders are some of the worst in the league (that is how they are performing right now). I think there is no coincidence that every single defender and DM's we bought in recent years has looked worse for us than for their previous club. Leno is the only purchase in that area of the field who has been a success. Again is that a coincidence? To me it isn't, the GK position won't be hamstrung by our shambolic defensive tactics and thus he is free to showcase his talents. I would bet my right bollocks that if Saliba joined us last summer he would have looked just as clueless as all our other defenders. People would have been calling him a monumental waste of money. Are our defenders good enough to compete for the title? No. Are they good enough to compete for top 4? Definitely.

Midfield is a bigger issue. Mainly lack of athleticism. Still enough to work with to atleast beat all the minnows and mid table teams. We are still short to compete with the top teams in this area.

Attack is our biggest strenght. Auba, Martinelli, Laca, Pepe and even the moody Özil. There is a lot of goals there we just need to get the balance right.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We must be in a tiny minority who still believe in that. I think people underestimate the difference a good manager can have on a team. Setting them up correctly, minimising weaknesses, instilling belief, getting individuals to play as a team can transform a sorry bunch of players into a very efficient collective force.

We should have no problems in attack, there is more than enough quality there. Defence needs a bit of work but again I find it hard to believe our defenders are some of the worst in the league (that is how they are performing right now). I think there is no coincidence that every single defender and DM's we bought in recent years has looked worse for us than for their previous club. Leno is the only purchase in that area of the field who has been a success. Again is that a coincidence? To me it isn't, the GK position won't be hamstrung by our shambolic defensive tactics and thus he is free to showcase his talents. I would bet my right bollocks that if Saliba joined us last summer he would have looked just as clueless as all our other defenders. People would have been calling him a monumental waste of money. Are our defenders good enough to compete for the title? No. Are they good enough to compete for top 4? Definitely.

Midfield is a bigger issue. Mainly lack of athleticism. Still enough to work with to atleast beat all the minnows and mid table teams. We are still short to compete with the top teams in this area.

Attack is our biggest strenght. Auba, Martinelli, Laca, Pepe and even the moody Özil. There is a lot of goals there we just need to get the balance right.

I agree with the sentiment but think I'd assess the team a bit more harshly. We don't need a new player in every position.

Our central midfield and Centre backs however are real issues

We need a powerhouse signing in both areas. I believe Holding with someone else can make a great CB pairing.

Xhaka needs to go and we need someone much more physical, agile with a more progressive and braver style of play.

I think both those signings plus proper coaching from Arteta will see a amazing change is us

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The real problem we have is not the formation we play

It's the fact our players don't do their jobs properly and aren't in the right positions at the right time

Our midfield usually is inept positionally

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The biggest problem we have is that we don't work hard enough when do not have the ball. The obvious example is that the defenders fall off, while the attackers leisurely jog to the rear....

Fortunately, that can be fixed on the training ground, if the players are up for it. That is, if Auba, Özil and Laca are up for it. We know Martinelli works hard when we lose the ball.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If you could, and let’s be honest it’s the truth, only spend £60-80m fee in one area do you go big in midfield or defence.

I’d be more tempted by the midfield, Partey has strong rumours before. The defence is bad but I can’t believe it’s as bad as we’ve seen.

DasBootist

Leno, Bellerin, Chambers, Holding, Saliba, Tierney, Torreira, Geundouzi, Willock, Saka, Pepe, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Nelson, Lacazette, Aubameyang & Nketiah can all stay from next season on.

We need to add to that.

Reyes no.11

Squad after January 2020 Transfer Window

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
LB: Tierney, Kolasinac
CB: Luiz, Holding, Mavropanos
CB: Sokratis, Chambers, Mustafi
RB: Bellerin, *M.Aarons

DM: Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock
DM: Torreira, Maitland-Niles

LM: *O.Dembele, Saka
AM: Özil, Ceballos, Smith-Rowe
RM: Pepe, Nelson

CF: Aubameyang, Martinelli, Nketiah

In: M.Aarons, O.Dembele, Nketiah
Out: Lacazette

First XI

---------------------------------Leno

Bellerin-----------Sokratis-------------Luiz-------------Tierney

---------------------Torreira------------Xhaka

Pepe---------------------------Özil----------------------O.Dembele

----------------------------Aubameyang

Subs: Martinez, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles, Ceballos, Saka, Martinelli

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
If you could, and let’s be honest it’s the truth, only spend £60-80m fee in one area do you go big in midfield or defence.

I’d be more tempted by the midfield, Partey has strong rumours before. The defence is bad but I can’t believe it’s as bad as we’ve seen.

Defense

We are more covered in midfield

Our two younger cbs (not counting Saliba)
Can actually play ball but lack athletic ability and both have had catastrophic injuries
The older ones Luiz, Sok and even Mustafi do all have some athletic ability but under esp Emery it lookee liked they lack ballplaying ability
And they are brainfart prone

ScotsGooner89

Defense

We are more covered in midfield

Our two younger cbs (not counting Saliba)
Can actually play ball but lack athletic ability and both have had catastrophic injuries
The older ones Luiz, Sok and even Mustafi do all have some athletic ability but under esp Emery it lookee liked they lack ballplaying ability
And they are brainfart prone

Luiz, while definitely brainfart prone, does not lack the ball playing ability of chambers and holding?

He’s going to have a horrendous game here and there which isn’t ideal but the last 2 games have shown he’s definitely good enough when playing his A-game. I’m not sure, however, he’s the ideal guy to be partnering with young saliba though.

I can’t see us buying a centre back unless both Sok and mustafi are sold though so it’s a bit of a problem.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Luiz, while definitely brainfart prone, does not lack the ball playing ability of chambers and holding?

He’s going to have a horrendous game here and there which isn’t ideal but the last 2 games have shown he’s definitely good enough when playing his A-game. I’m not sure, however, he’s the ideal guy to be partnering with young saliba though.

I can’t see us buying a centre back unless both Sok and mustafi are sold though so it’s a bit of a problem.

Yeah I should put him inbetween someway

But he is getting up there in age and
He is positionally suspect thou

It is the old Wenger heritage still haunting us...

We bought holding/Chambers by only bothering with technical ability
And now it hurts us

While Good holding/Chambers are not great enough to be THE cbs for us, underwhelming pair

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

b7fxffyr25941.jpg

Genuinely pissed me off we are a point behind Sp**s there. Unacceptable ffs.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
b7fxffyr25941.jpg

Genuinely pissed me off we are a point behind Sp**s there. Unacceptable ffs.

Trophies...Arsenal-6, Sp**s-0...I am jealous of that extra point though, even if we finished ahead of them more times that decade anyway... ;)

Riou

Community Shields don't count come on now.

I count them as trophies...only way you even get a chance to compete in it, is by winning the league or the cup...sometimes you can get real lucky, and the team that finishes second can qualify, if a team does the Double...Sp**s nearly got to play for it in 2017 by finishing second, Chelsea won the league and got to the cup final...but just like always Sp**s are in our shadow, and we beat Chelsea, to win the cup and qualify for the Shield, which we also won...sorry, not sorry, Sp**s ;)

If I counted the Emirates Cup as a trophy, then I would have been an idiot!

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I count them as trophies...only way you even get a chance to compete in it, is by winning the league or the cup...sometimes you can get real lucky, and the team that finishes second can qualify, if a team does the Double...Sp**s nearly got to play for it in 2017 by finishing second, Chelsea won the league and got to the cup final...but just like always Sp**s are in our shadow, and we beat Chelsea, to win the cup and qualify for the Shield, which we also won...sorry, not sorry, Sp**s ;)

4th is a trophy too.

Wagwaan

I have never understood why the Charity Shield is so undervalued. It is some achievement to be a part of the match that surely winning against a team that also had to fight to be involved is surely a big trophy. Strange.

Riou

I have never understood why the Charity Shield is so undervalued. It is some achievement to be a part of the match that surely winning against a team that also had to fight to be involved is surely a big trophy. Strange.

Think it is because it has always had the word "Charity/Community" in its title, so people assume it isn't a legitimate trophy...if it was called the English Super Cup, like all the other countries call theirs, then it would be more respected.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

It's a glorified friendly, it's not tournament it's a play off you just play 1 game for it. I get it that you have to win a trophy to qualify but counting it in your trophy haul is desperate.

Top Bottom