• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The game plan where you start your attack from the back requires "intelligent" and competent defenders on the ball.
You just can't play like that with Bellerin and Mustafi, they just don't understand that game and they don't have the technical quality to play it. Both insecure with the passing and both are afraid of the ball.

STEP 1: Leno passing to Mustafi is how we started our attack. You make a plan and the first guy who receives the ball is the guy who doesn't want that ball and panics with it. What Mustafi does is kicking the ball forward and loses it - results with - we are defending again with a squad that is not designed to defend.

STEP 2: Mustafi passes the ball to Bellerin (if he doesn't kick it upfront), and Bellerin is the guy who doesn't want the ball (again). He either loses it by passing forward or gives it back to Mustafi/Leno. Bellerin is a guy who thrives when making runs, never with playing from the back.

STEP 3: That would be the case where Mustafi/Leno/Bellerin pass the ball to CM. Again we have a problem that we don't have a midfielder who is great at receiving the ball and turning with it. That's why our fall was so sharp since we lost Cazorla. Xhaka is OK player, probably Torreira also, but none of our midfielders can do that job at the required level. That step is also the reason we've seen a sharp decline of Özil since Cazorla left. The ball never gets to him where he wants it (between the lines)

Now, before we start talking about how we lack goal scorers, or how ****e is Pepe, or how Laca is a bum or how Eddie/Martinelli are too young, I'm listening to explanations how exactly do we ever progress from any of the first 3 steps.

That's why my expectation of Saliba is so high and I don't care how old he is, he will fix 2 of those problems alone. That is also why I look forward to ESR, the guy can receive the ball and move with it, unlike any other midfielder that we have.

My worry is that Arteta won't go that way simply because of their age and he will continue with Xhaka/Mustafi/Bellerin thing again next season. Wouldn't say that he doesn't want to do it, more like he will feel under too much pressure and will go with a more "safe" approach, which will cost him his job in the end

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Are Arsenal players uniquely dislikable or are Arsenal fans uniquely disposed to disliking their players? It feels like other fan bases don't dislike so many of their players as much as Arsenal fans do, even fan bases in worse predicaments.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Are Arsenal players uniquely dislikable or are Arsenal fans uniquely disposed to disliking their players? It feels like other fan bases don't dislike so many of their players as much as Arsenal fans do, even fan bases in worse predicaments.
Probably because they’re too spineless, careless and can’t be bothered. Sometimes they don’t deserve the fans support

Reyes no.11

Formation: 4-3-3

GK: Leno, *GK, Macy
LB: Tierney, *LB
CB: Saliba, Sokratis, Mavropanos
CB: *CB, *CB
RB: *RB, Bellerin

LCM: *LCM, Guendouzi, Smith Rowe
DM: Torreira, Maitland-Niles
RCM: *RCM, Willock

LW: *LW, Saka
CF: Aubameyang, Martinelli, Nketiah
RW: Pepe, *RW

In: GK, CB, CB, LB, RB, RB, LCM, RCM, LW, RW, RW

Out: Martinez, Luiz, Holding, Mustafi, Mari, Chambers, Kolasinac, Soares, Xhaka, Elneny, Ceballos, Özil, Nelson, Mkhitaryan, Lacazette

Peterq

People underestimate experience in football especially in our situation. There is a reason why we still see in football at top level Silva, Fernandinho, Moutinho, Milner, Modric, Cazorla. They know how to dictate tempo, instructs partners and break up play in thought moments. Every team that win something important had experience in midfield (Zidane, Xavi, Pirlo). That is why every last manager play Xhaka because we don't have better. There is some ridiculous suggestion to play in our situation in mid Saka, Wilock, AMN easiest way to destroy them careers and another next season play centrebacks Upa - Saliba in EPL :facepalm: Matteo will be top player but right now he is 21. The problem is our senior players are no leaders Özil especially. Arteta would probably walk in our midfield right now. We probably see Luiz in #6 role at the end of season and that is absolutely terrible management by Edu and Raul.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
People underestimate experience in football especially in our situation. There is a reason why we still see in football at top level Silva, Fernandinho, Moutinho, Milner, Modric, Cazorla. They know how to dictate tempo, instructs partners and break up play in thought moments. Every team that win something important had experience in midfield (Zidane, Xavi, Pirlo). That is why every last manager play Xhaka because we don't have better. There is some ridiculous suggestion to play in our situation in mid Saka, Wilock, AMN easiest way to destroy them careers and another next season play centrebacks Upa - Saliba in EPL :facepalm: Matteo will be top player but right now he is 21. The problem is our senior players are no leaders Özil especially. Arteta would probably walk in our midfield right now. We probably see Luiz in #6 role at the end of season and that is absolutely terrible management by Edu and Raul.
Experience is fine with the right players, but focusing on players just because they are older than some kids is a huge mistake.
All the players you've mentioned above are quality players and the argument to play them is not their experience, it's their quality.
If you wanna see again next season some Luiz - Mustafi partnership, that's fine, but I would rather see Saliba or someone like him even without experience.

People on this forum are so delusional sometimes believing we're gonna sign some quality player with the experience to play next to Saliba. We're just gonna end up with a new version of Mustafi/Luiz. I'll always take a quality inexperienced player over the guys like Xhaka, Mustafi and Luiz, 100% of the time. In the end, it's the experienced players that are failing so hard here, not Saka, Martinelli or Eddie

Peterq

Experience is fine with the right players, but focusing on players just because they are older than some kids is a huge mistake.
All the players you've mentioned above are quality players and the argument to play them is not their experience, it's their quality.
If you wanna see again next season some Luiz - Mustafi partnership, that's fine, but I would rather see Saliba or someone like him even without experience.

People on this forum are so delusional sometimes believing we're gonna sign some quality player with the experience to play next to Saliba. We're just gonna end up with a new version of Mustafi/Luiz. I'll always take a quality inexperienced player over the guys like Xhaka, Mustafi and Luiz, 100% of the time. In the end, it's the experienced players that are failing so hard here, not Saka, Martinelli or Eddie
I agree we have no leaders. No core. Mustafi is starting to grow as a defender but Luiz is mistake that shouldn't happen at club like Arsenal, squad player in decline making too many errors. If we don't sign proper defender Saliba - Mustafi is our only option next season and I don't like that. But that's next season we have huge problem in midfield right now, listen to Arteta last comments about experience he knows we are in deep s**t.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If we don't sign proper defender Saliba - Mustafi is our only option next season
No, it's not. Having Mustafi in the squad will never be an option. I would rather take Chambers, at least he can pass the ball and is definitely more reliable than all of our "experienced" CB's.

progman07

Established Member
Right, but do Arsenal have a monopoly on "spineless and careless" footballers?
Our players aren't necessarily spinless and careless individually (not all of them at least), it's a club culture (that Arteta wants to change).

We don't have any real leaders in the squad, we don't have players whose key quality is hard work and who influence the others in the right way.
Aubameyang is the worst possible captain we could currently have, he is a loud voice in the dressing room when it comes to the fun stuff, but on the pitch he is someone who disappears for long periods, and wants only to be on the end of the actions. Though he is a wonderful player, and a top class striker, he is probably not someone who drives the team forward.

And at the end of the day, a team is influenced by a Vieira, a Roy Keane, a Terry or Sergio Ramos. You rarely have 22 players driving forward with 100% self-belief, fighting spirit and motivation, you need a few role models who will set the tone of the trainings, set the tone of the games and do not let the tempo or effort drop.

We don't have that.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Our players aren't necessarily spinless and careless individually (not all of them at least), it's a club culture (that Arteta wants to change).

We don't have any real leaders in the squad, we don't have players whose key quality is hard work and who influence the others in the right way.
Aubameyang is the worst possible captain we could currently have, he is a loud voice in the dressing room when it comes to the fun stuff, but on the pitch he is someone who disappears for long periods, and wants only to be on the end of the actions. Though he is a wonderful player, and a top class striker, he is probably not someone who drives the team forward.

And at the end of the day, a team is influenced by a Vieira, a Roy Keane, a Terry or Sergio Ramos. You rarely have 22 players driving forward with 100% self-belief, fighting spirit and motivation, you need a few role models who will set the tone of the trainings, set the tone of the games and do not let the tempo or effort drop.

We don't have that.

I understand that, but I wonder if it's not a bit old fashioned. You talk about hard work, well I'd say Torreira is all about that. He's a very hard-working player. You talk about vocal leadership, well a guy like Xhaka could embody that. He always trains very hard apparently.

I agree the culture of the club hasn't been great and needs a change. But I think it's a bit useless just to say "we need someone like Vieira or Keane". Nah, we just need better players. It's a question of quality.

Peterq

No, it's not. Having Mustafi in the squad will never be an option. I would rather take Chambers, at least he can pass the ball and is definitely more reliable than all of our "experienced" CB's.
And where's Chambers now? Be realistic this season determine cash for next season. I'm talking about current situation and midfield that have zero experience and they will struggle badly. Slamming youngsters Matteo, Dani, Joe because they play that games is lame. Everyone who tried to play team sports know that quality experience player can make difference. We should be blaming Edu, Raul and Ivan for that situation. Too many overpaid players who have zero ambition and no leaders in this team.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
And where's Chambers now? Be realistic this season determine cash for next season. I'm talking about current situation and midfield that have zero experience and they will struggle badly. Slamming youngsters Matteo, Dani, Joe because they play that games is lame. Everyone who tried to play team sports know that quality experience player can make difference. We should be blaming Edu, Raul and Ivan for that situation. Too many overpaid players who have zero ambition and no leaders in this team.
I am realistic, but you're not. This season is over and any dream of European football next season is gone now. Combine that with the virus problems and 0 match day income, your chance to buy quality and experienced players is 0.

This team has no chance of buying players that everyone wants here so our only option is to reduce the squad cost and play kids. That's basically it for this season.

From next season, I would expect the average squad age to be around 22. Anything other than that will cement our place next to Newcastle for the next decade.

You could probably convince me in something different if we would have our normal income for the year, but as things are currently, our only hope is investing in top u21 players and promoting academy players. Everything else will just make this transition longer than it needs to be.

P.S. Chambers is still injured but will probably be available for the next season.

progman07

Established Member
I understand that, but I wonder if it's not a bit old fashioned. You talk about hard work, well I'd say Torreira is all about that. He's a very hard-working player. You talk about vocal leadership, well a guy like Xhaka could embody that. He always trains very hard apparently.

I agree the culture of the club hasn't been great and needs a change. But I think it's a bit useless just to say "we need someone like Vieira or Keane". Nah, we just need better players. It's a question of quality.
Definitely the bigger part of it is quality issue.

Not arguing with anything, but personally I think the 'good old archetypical leaders' like Vieira or Keane are needed because of the mental part of the game. You have highs and lows in a season, and when the lows come to you, not all types of people can handle it without role models around them. Saka or Martinelli are amazing talents, but they need somebody who shows them how to react in different situations due to their inexperience / mental strength.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
No Europa next season may be a blessing, it means we can go into the season with a small squad:

GK: Leno, Martinez

RB: AMN, Cedric
RCB: Saliba, Sokratis/Mustafi/Chambers
LCB: CB, Mari
LB: KT, Saka

RCM: CM, Willock
LCM: Xhaka, Guendouzi

RW: Pepe, Nelson
AM: AM, Özil
LW: LW, Martinelli, Saka

CF: CF, Eddie

Sell: Bellerin, Holding, whoever fetches the most between Sokratis/Mustafi/Chambers, Kolasinac, Torreira, ESR, Mhki, Auba, Laca

In an ideal world we keep Auba and get rid of Özil, but there's no chance this happens. Those sales should generate enough to get quality players in the positions mentioned. Im very skeptical about the boards ability to get this done though unfortunately.

GunnerShy

Chambers has a busted knee. Won't be back until Xmas, and his says will take a while.to get back to his best. In any case, we won't be able to sell him. Nor should we want to. He is a useful utility player. When you are trying to turn over a list start with your worst players not some of your more important ones.

The CBs next season will be:
Mari, Mustafi, Holding, Saliba, Chambers, - Hopefully that's it.
Others can go. Luiz, Sokratis too old.

The midfield remains the biggest issue. It's where the money needs to be spent. I'm glad you have faith in Guendouzi but I don't see it. I just can't see how he could.improve to a level we need. He was a league 2 player when we got him and he's a league 2 player now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom