• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
From the eye test alone you can see he clearly offers way more than both Walcott and Iwobi.

Walcott would've destroyed some teams Pepe made no impact on. I actually think Walcott is a better footballer than Pepe and time will show it. His runs and timing were brilliant, his finishing was good and he didn't take 2-3 touches to move the ball from one leg to the other. HIs passing was underated and he was able to keep up with the most technical passing team we've ever had. His dribblin wasn;t great but he was goo enough to use his pace and runs to beat a man time and again.

Players havent wised up to Pepe, they regularly just go 1 on 1 with him and he can't do anything. They were doubled up yesterday because they were defending deep across the pitch, a lot of teams will do this against us regardless of who is on the wing. The reason he looks good in some games and not other is entirely dependent upon who he is up against, Mendy gave him tons of space in the first half of the City match, he closed him down earlier in the second half resulting in Pepe losing the ball every time he had it.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You are saying it isn't a big ask but we have struggled against smaller teams all season for a reason, we lack creativity. You cannot beat these teams if you don't have the tools to beat them. We are relying on set pieces, pens and magic from Pepe/Auba.

There's some key similarities. However finding someone like Bruno will be near impossible. So we have to buy smart and spread the creativity across 2 or 3 positions.

I don't think so. Someone like Golovin can be a 2 way midfielder who creates, scores, dribbles and defends. We need more ballers in the team with a higher technical level while also having physical capabilities. If you do that it means you can be more flexible.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If we didn't have Pepe we probably wouldn't be in a FA cup final this season.

Lol good one. Anyway. A final is only good if you win it. He pulls out a performance in the final and makes a significant contribution to winning us the cup that will be something positive.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Lol good one. Anyway. A final is only good if you win it. He pulls out a performance in the final and makes a significant contribution to winning us the cup that will be something positive.

And if he doesn't I'm sure you'll be the first among with a few others to let us know.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
When I watch Liverpool’s full backs I get so frustrated, Bellerin is never doing any of that. Tierney is good but Robertson offers so much in attack, but again he has better players around him and Mane is a much better LW than Auba.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
When I watch Liverpool’s full backs I get so frustrated, Bellerin is never doing any of that. Tierney is good but Robertson offers so much in attack, but again he has better players around him and Mane is a much better LW than Auba.

This is why I am thinking a 3-4-3 could be best for us, if we keep Auba next year, as it could benefit everyone...

Put Saliba in back three, there will be less pressure on him that way next season, as opposed to being in a regular 2 man paring, he will have an extra man covering him...eg Saliba-Luiz-Tierney.

Tierney while a very good fullback, is also a very good centreback in a back 3, he can spot danger very well, plus a back 3 means his height won't be an issue.

Bellerin is useless now pretty much, Niles and Saka at wingback...pace and skill down the flanks again, plus a wingback roles will allow them to be more attacking than a fullback.

Auba playing as an inside forward on the left as opposed to a natural left winger (assuming he stays, plus Mikel doesn't fancy him upfront) means he will be naturally closer to the goal, as Saka as a left wingback will start higher up on the left, allowing Auba to tuck in more.

...think a 3-4-3 highlights the strengths of our current team, plus reduces our weaknesses far more than any back 4 formation.

Bellerin had amazing cross to Lacazette not long ago that Laca of course missed.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I do not want Tierney in a back 3. He is so much more useful down the sides.

343 is the formation you use for the best stability. Title winning teams dont use it on a consistent basis for a reason.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't think so. Someone like Golovin can be a 2 way midfielder who creates, scores, dribbles and defends. We need more ballers in the team with a higher technical level while also having physical capabilities. If you do that it means you can be more flexible.

Golovin is a good shout, I've always liked how sprightly and two-footed he is. Feel like he's a player Wenger would've bought back in 2007. Slight question marks over his physicality, but again, that never stopped us from buying them before.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I do not want Tierney in a back 3. He is so much more useful down the sides.

343 is the formation you use for the best stability. Title winning teams dont use it on a consistent basis for a reason.

I actually like the 343. We have the unique opportunity to play this formation and cause teams alot of problems with the right personnel.
No team has a player like Saka. Someone who can play lb, lwb, lwf and lcm.

Auba--------Edouard------Pepe
Saka----Partey-----Golovin-----AMN
---------Tierney---Luiz----Saliba

There are so many things you can do with that formation. It can move into a 4 3 3:

Auba------Edouard-----Pepe
---------Saka---------Golovin
-----------------Partey
Tierney-Luiz---Saliba---AMN

You could invert and push Saka and Tierney up.

Saka------Auba----Edouard-------Pepe
-------Tierney--------Golovin
------------------Partey-------AMN
-----------------Luiz---------Saliba

You can push pepe in and push both full backs up:

Tierney-----Auba------Edouard--------AMN
---------------Saka------------Pepe
---------------Partey----------Golovin
----------------Luiz-----------saliba

You can even go 4 4 2

----------------------Auba--Edouard
-----Saka-------Partey-----Golovin-----Pepe
----Tierney---Luiz-------Saliba--------AMN

All of those options make it so difficult to deal with and of all those players only Luiz lacks pace. I'd go this way. As soon as you add Ceballos and Xhaka in or Bellerin and Soares you lack flexibility, you lose pace, power and most of all dribbling.

If you take cbs away and consider them not to be dribblers. There are a possible 8 dribblers. That line up has 6 potential dribblers. We can break lines, run forward and back, sit in, break, hold possession. Arteta wants a multifunctional team, not a team that caters for the weaknesses of individuals.

akhil

I actually like the 343. We have the unique opportunity to play this formation and cause teams alot of problems with the right personnel.

There are so many things you can do with that formation. It can move into a 4 3 3:

-----------------Partey

You can even go 4 4 2

All of those options make it so difficult to deal with and of all those players only Luiz lacks pace. I'd go this way. As soon as you add Ceballos and Xhaka in or Bellerin and Soares you lack flexibility, you lose pace, power and most of all dribbling.

If you take cbs away and consider them not to be dribblers. There are a possible 8 dribblers. That line up has 6 potential dribblers. We can break lines, run forward and back, sit in, break, hold possession. Arteta wants a multifunctional team, not a team that caters for the weaknesses of individuals.

You're ripping up the whole spine in 1 window. That's never going to happen.

We suck as an attacking force right now since we don't have any proper presence in the middle between the CMs and the strikers. Everything is funneled wide. Ramsey leaving and Özil being in semi retirement blew a huge hole in that area. Even when we get in behind on the wings, it's always the ball in behind the CB's. The cut back is very rarely ever on.

I honestly want us to go back to a back 4. If Saliba is as good as the hype suggests, maybe we can do that and bed in ESR and Willock as the 3rd midfielder.

I want AMN pushed up as option to Pepe, leave the left to Saka/Nelson(gamble I know) and Auba/Eddie upto top. Keep Ceballos and bring in Partey.

Leno/Emi
Hector --- Saliba --- Luiz --- Tierney //Soares/Holding/Mari/Kola
Ceballos --- Partey --- Xhaka // Willock/AMN/ESR
Pepe --- Auba --- Saka // Eddie/Martinelli/Nelson/ESR/AMN

If we get Partey, keep Ceballos for another year and extend Auba's contract. I'd be ok going into next season with that with or without Europa. I suspect Arteta sees Mari ahead of Luiz anyway.

Absolutely need to trim the squad , Doozi, Torreira, Sokratis, Mustafi, Elneny, Mkhi should bring in 50-60 million even at a big loss.

I know nothing about Edouard barring youtube and haven't seen Golovin play in ages. Don't know much about them but hoping these guys hit the ground running is a steep ask looking at all our recent buys.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Both of the options above lack creativity for me. To be on Liverpools level for example we need to double our current big chance creation. Ours is sitting in the 40's whilst liverpools is in the High 80's.

They get their main creativity from the full backs and front 3. Trent is their chief creator and unsurprisingly the player who gets most of their assists.

I've liked Laca recently but sadly having him and Auba in the side just means there's a lack of creativity across the front 3. Considering auba scores all our goals Lacazette should be sold. Id sign Depay but I think our main front 3 should be -

Saka/Joelson - Auba/Martinelli - Pepe/Nelson

Id sign Depay for experience and more quality but don't think we need him.

In the midfield I would use the majority of our funds to sign Aouar and Partey. I'd also sign Ceballos on a second year loan with obligation to buy next year at a set price. Selling Torreira and Guendouzi in the process you would have 5 midfielders to rotate between in a 3. Partey, Ceballos, Xhaka, Aouar and Willock.

Tierney through a whole season will offer us a lot. We need a new right back and I'd look no further than Atal.

But for this summer priority for me has to be Partey, creative mid and a winger of sorts even if that's Joelson.

ChefMan21

Attacking football is in Arsenal's DNA. Great talking point, but what a bullshit answer and example of group think to pull the wool over people's eyes. You know what's in the DNA of football? Attacking football AND defensive football.

Can we please kick this whole idea that we need to buy more attacking players to win to the curb? Sick of 'attacking football' being used as an excuse and raison d'etre for all our failings to build a squad that, you know, meets the requirements of a complete football side and club.
Still this.

Two games where we defended well - irrespective of their stature - does not make a title-challenging team. We're 10th as it stands.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Chelsea already signed Werner and Ziyech, probably signing Havertz with the CL money.

Man Utd are sure to spend some money, probably Sancho and a top midfielder.

Arteta has no chance with Kia‘s bums and Raul scrapping in Brazil.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So Luiz, Saliba, Holding and Sokratis will be fit for the start of next season (as it stands), although Saliba is a kid who's never played in England, Luiz is error-prone, Holding isn't good enough and Sokratis isn't rated by the coach. Mari, Mustafi and Chambers will be injured at the start of next season, and they all are or might be not good enough anyway. And Mavro's on loan.

What a f*cking mess.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Chelsea already signed Werner and Ziyech, probably signing Havertz with the CL money.

Man Utd are sure to spend some money, probably Sancho and a top midfielder.

Arteta has no chance with Kia‘s bums and Raul scrapping in Brazil.
Arteta have the final say in transfers tho that media saying so let's hope for more smart signings

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

-----------------Partey

You can even go 4 4 2

I like the team(s) you've posted and that would mean that we only have to buy three players for the first 11 which is actually doable. We will have to sell and we need to make sure we have decent subs or we won't progress.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Chambers, Mari, Martinelli and now Mustafi out injured doesn’t help plans.

billyf

Damn, what was Emery thinking? This squad has only one proper creative midfielder in Ceballos. The rest, don't even know how to move off the ball. For the same reason Arteta deserves all the credit for getting us to the cup final.

Yesterday, I'd expect Ceballos to start in the #10 position. Our ball circulation would improve radically with him there.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom