• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Stoke vs Arsenal ratings

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Swish said:
SA Gunner said:
Swish said:
So Villa will want to capitalise on the Stoke loss by scoring early. Whereas Stoke capitalised on our Bolton wins by scoring early?

Put it to you this way.

Villa will be willing to push us more early on than they would if we thrashed Bolton today. Villa knows that we have lost our rhythm on the pitch and the game and that feeling will make us more reserved and not willing to confidently go forward as we usually do until, during the match, we rediscover our confidence with sustained possession and chances created.

Had we thrashed Bolton today our confidence and thus ability to make good decisions and create chances would have been sky high. Villa would know that with "Arsenal in the mood" they should demoralise us first.

United will be lying in wait as well... hoping Villa can soften us up even further.
Firstly, we played Stoke today, not Bolton.

Secondly, Villa aren't stupid enough to think we'll play the same squad against them that we played against Stoke today. You on the other hand...

I dont understand you at all.

Do you not understand the concept of confidence in sport? Have you not seen what a mood in a squad can do for performances?

Why do you think we fell apart in 2007-08 at Birmingham, the day Eduardo broke his leg?

Kraig

Established Member
because on that day we played our full first team. today we only played cesc and denilson. thats why it wont (or shouldnt) affect us.

SA Gunner

Kraig said:
because on that day we played our full first team. today we only played cesc and denilson. thats why it wont (or shouldnt) affect us.

Lets hope not.

Confidence in a squad is massive, regardless of who plays when.

Swish

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
I dont understand you at all.

Do you not understand the concept of confidence in sport? Have you not seen what a mood in a squad can do for performances?

Why do you think we fell apart in 2007-08 at Birmingham, the day Eduardo broke his leg?
Do you seriously think that the Arsenal full team's confidence is affected by the Carling Cup team's performance?

We had only had Cesc and Denilson who started today from our current full strength team. Arshavin and Eduardo were added to that. All 4 of them will understand that the team will be a lot better when the likes of Vermaelen, Sagna, Gallas, Rosicky and Clichy will be involved.

I don't think you understand confidence in a sport mate. Or at least understand the difference of team sheet in today's squad and the squad that will face Villa.

MAK 14

Established Member
We were top of the league mid-week and we've been on a great run, and Wenger only started Fabregas and Denilson (two first teamers). If this affects our confidence you need to seriously question the mentality in the squad.

Swish

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
Kraig said:

Lets hope not.

Full strength team confidence = 10 games unbeaten
Second string team with 2 first teamers = 1 game loss

ricky1985

Established Member
OohtobeaGoonerGal said:
Swish said:
You're going against the general consensus that Theo is s**t and will always be s**t GoonerGal. It's usually only done by people who like to tack on to the fashionable dislike of certain players. So it's best just to give up and let me saying 'I told you so' rather than having the balls to get behind a player.

But what has he done to deserve it? I just don't understand. He is only a 20 year old boy who like the majority of others his age, are still unpolished and others develop quicker. He's suffered setback after setback that extend more than just this season, games like Villareal, Slavia Prague,etc shows what he's capable of, others may think it doesn't matter to them but it does, to him. Psychologically his career has been tough. But whatever, I'm not leaving his side, and one day he will prove why.
Theo does have the ability to go on and become one of the best players in the world. I am one of his biggest fans and have spent many an hour defending him on here. However, now is the time, he has to step up and really begin to add another dimension to the Arsenal team, and against good sides too. Today he was returning from injury, so he has an excuse, but we have some big games coming up and Theo rerally needs to have a positive impact on them.

It is almost unbelievable how short some fans memories are though, at different times, however fleeting, Theo has produced moments that only 2 or 3 players in world football could replicate, and yet people say he is a talentless "pace merchant". People need to remember Alex Song's meteoric rise, when there are flashes of promise and talent, it's only a matter of time before that player matures and gains the requisite confidence to show that talent fully.

He'll come good, but it'll be nice if it's soon, we need him to start influencing some of our difficult games ahead.

Kraig

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
OohtobeaGoonerGal said:
Swish said:
You're going against the general consensus that Theo is s**t and will always be s**t GoonerGal. It's usually only done by people who like to tack on to the fashionable dislike of certain players. So it's best just to give up and let me saying 'I told you so' rather than having the balls to get behind a player.

But what has he done to deserve it? I just don't understand. He is only a 20 year old boy who like the majority of others his age, are still unpolished and others develop quicker. He's suffered setback after setback that extend more than just this season, games like Villareal, Slavia Prague,etc shows what he's capable of, others may think it doesn't matter to them but it does, to him. Psychologically his career has been tough. But whatever, I'm not leaving his side, and one day he will prove why.
Theo does have the ability to go on and become one of the best players in the world. I am one of his biggest fans and have spent many an hour defending him on here. However, now is the time, he has to step up and really begin to add another dimension to the Arsenal team, and against good sides too. Today he was returning from injury, so he has an excuse, but we have some big games coming up and Theo rerally needs to have a positive impact on them.

It is almost unbelievable how short some fans memories are though, at different times, however fleeting, Theo has produced moments that only 2 or 3 players in world football could replicate, and yet people say he is a talentless "pace merchant". People need to remember Alex Song's meteoric rise, when there are flashes of promise and talent, it's only a matter of time before that player matures and gains the requisite confidence to show that talent fully.

He'll come good, but it'll be nice if it's soon, we need him to start influencing some of our difficult games ahead.

QFT Rick.

Raider

Established Member
Fabianski 5

Coquelin 5
Campbell 7
Silvestre 6
Traore 5

Eastmond 6
Denilson 6
Fabregas 5.5

Walcott 5
Emmanuel-Thomas 5
Vela 6

SA Gunner

Swish said:
SA Gunner said:
Kraig said:

Lets hope not.

Full strength team confidence = 10 games unbeaten
Second string team with 2 first teamers = 1 game loss

Read this article, you will learn something son.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5701995,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 95,00.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"For it to work, players must make themselves available and we work on that in training," he told French radio.

"That's where top-level sport becomes really interesting, in finding a way to have the team in a position of psychological comfort so that they can offer solutions.

"Because you know that, when doubt creeps in, the green lights become red lights.

"Because each player takes fewer spontaneous initiatives and, all of a sudden, it's absolutely unbelievable at what speed all those lights become red and the player with the ball finds himself in the s***.\

"Doubt is the key enemy of our game but, eventually, we must at the same time give our team the sense of availability.

"And, on a psychological level, we must give them a taste for audacity and for developing connections between each other."

Never underestimate the power of self doubt. This is what we need to work on going into the Villa game. I believe Wenger will prioritise self belief going into Wednesday.

Raider

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
Never underestimate the power of self doubt. This is what we need to work on going into the Villa game. I believe Wenger will prioritise self belief going into Wednesday.

Thats the whole Wenger philosophy. His whole era has been based on that of trust. When a player comes off the back of a horrible performance, whos best placed to learn from their mistakes then the player himself?

Thats Wengers way. If I were manager, I'd chose the same, However, I be a hell of a lot more ruthless too. Something I think Wengers lacked somewhat.

Swish

Established Member
SA... I'm going to give up. You are still missing the really basic point that I've tried to point out to you in several ways, even other people have tried. You haven't understood it at any point along the way so there's no point in continuing if all we can do is keep repeating it until it finally sinks into your head.

I also don't appreciate being called Son.

SA Gunner

Swish said:
SA... I'm going to give up. You are still missing the really basic point that I've tried to point out to you in several ways, even other people have tried. You haven't understood it at any point along the way so there's no point in continuing if all we can do is keep repeating it until it finally sinks into your head.

I get your point, you seem to think certain players in the squad are psychologically removed from others, because they havent played on the pitch.

Im telling you that you are wrong, this is not possible. A squad (especially this one) feels the effects of joy and sorrow throughout itself.

Raider is right in that Wenger prioritises this sort of coaching methods, he encourages mental strength and self belief. If I could Id bet money on him focusing a great deal on the players refocusing on their good run so far.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Fabianski....4

Coquelin.....5
Campbell....7.5
Silvestre....4
Traore.....5

Denilson....5
Eastmond....7
Cesc.....6

Theo....4
JET.....5
Vela....5(maybe 6 at a push)

qs

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Denilson might be many things, but it's beyond me how you can use any of what happened today to call him unprofessional. The problem is both full-backs had vacated their defensive positions, as we took an unnecessary risk at 1-1 and got punished for it. From Denilson's starting position he was never going to catch Sidibe or get in a good enough position to make a meaningful challenge. It amuses me that people think someone can't genuinely be slow, he just simply "not trying".

They don't think it though. If it had been Cesc or Song chasing Sidibe there would be a completely different response.

Swish

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
Swish said:

I get your point, you seem to think certain players in the squad are psychologically removed from others, because they havent played on the pitch.

Im telling you that you are wrong, this is not possible. A squad (especially this one) feels the effects of joy and sorrow throughout itself.

Raider is right in that Wenger prioritises this sort of coaching methods, he encourages mental strength and self belief. If I could Id bet money on him focusing a great deal on the players refocusing on their good run so far.
*sigh*
2nd December: Carling Cup squad loses 3-0 to Man City.
5th December: Full team beats Stoke City (ironically enough) 2-0.
9th December: Similar Carling Cup squad loses 1-0 to Olympiakos
13th December: Full team beats Liverpool 2-1.

Whilst I don't disagree that there is some psychological effect of the other team winning, I think you are overstating its effect way too much and placing far too much emphasis on it.

We went 49 games unbeaten and got beaten in our 50th.

qs

Established Member
We've also seen the first team be absolute **** the game after Carling Cup wins in the past.

True Gooner

Established Member
Just a meaningless term branded about. Sure, it helps going on a winning run of games but it's not easy to gauge things like that until and unless you know each one of those players on a personal level.

Swish

Established Member
qs said:
We've also seen the first team be absolute s**t the game after Carling Cup wins in the past.
Yeah, I tried to find an example this season, but other than the Chelsea, United, Sunderland and Citeh games, we've been great.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Fabianski - 5
Coquelin - 5
Campbell - 5
Silvestre - 2
Traore - 3
Denilson - 2
Fabregas - 6
Eastmond - 6
Vela - 4
Thomas - 5
Walcott - 0

Arshavin - 3
Eduardo - N.A
Ramsey - 4

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom