• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sutton United v Arsenal 20/2/17 19:55 GMT | FA Cup 5th round | BBC One

What will be the result of this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The nightmare scenario. Nothing to gain by winning everything to lose if we lose.

A great FA cup tie awaits. Can't wait.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Sutton United. Never in my life have I heard of them.

Disagree about nothing to gain though. Winning is winning, regardless of opposition.
They are in the vanarama league. 5th tier of English football. People in Sutton have never heard of them.

Of course if we win we gain a spot in the next round and that's what we are aiming for. But if we win it'll be well of course that's expected. Rob Holding cost more than their squad. Arsenal should be doing them. If we win one nil it's a poor result and if we win 5 - 0 then it's what you'd expect to happen. And if we lose or draw then that's a crisis.

There is no pressure on Sutton and huge pressure on us to beat them. More so than any other time I can recall when we've played lower league opposition. I can't recall us playing a team ranked this low in a competitive game. Certainly none that spring to mind under Wenger.

For some players it will be a very big culture shock.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Sutton United are 16th in the National League, English football's fifth-tier, and play at Gander Green Lane which has a 5,000 capacity - 55,000 less than Arsenal's Emirates Stadium.

They have beaten League Two Cheltenham Town, League One AFC Wimbledon and Championship Leeds United to get this far.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38803239

Sutton's FA Cup run
League Two ✔
League One ✔
Championship ✔
PL ...

:eek:

Not looking good for us. Imaging the banter when their backup keeper plays a blinder and helps knock us out. :lol:

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Sutton United. Never in my life have I heard of them.

I'm surprised. I believe that they remain the last non-league team to knock a team from the top division out of the FA Cup (Unless I've missed someone?). Back in the same season Arsenal won the league in the last minute at Anfield. 1988/89 One of the most significant season's in the history of both clubs. Wonder if 2016/17 will be the same? It certainly will if Sutton can win this.

They beat Coventry who had won the FA cup two seasons previously by beating Tottenham at Wembley.

A great draw for the FA Cup. I was hoping that they and Lincoln would get home ties against one of the top teams.

Last edited:

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
They have a 3G pitch, so we wont have to worry about crappy playing surfaces.

Its a nice draw, more so for Sutton and their fans who will watch their team play us, hopefully with them losing in the process. I dont think Wenger will play anything less then a team similar to Saturday gone.

Shame its not at ours, they'd get a mammoth amount of money from the ticket sales and almost certain TV revenue.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Plastic pitch... in that case Alexis should be nowhere near the pitch. Send him to Chile for the weekend, I don't care.

Godwin1

Very well-known
It's what the FA cup is about, every team in the country has a go, it's a good tie for us and an even better tie for Sutton.

Rocky

They have a 3G pitch, so we wont have to worry about crappy playing surfaces.

Its a nice draw, more so for Sutton and their fans who will watch their team play us, hopefully with them losing in the process. I dont think Wenger will play anything less then a team similar to Saturday gone.

Shame its not at ours, they'd get a mammoth amount of money from the ticket sales and almost certain TV revenue.

I'd expect this will be the tie that will be most desirable for TV though? Assuming they can show a live game at Sutton? The cameras for the Leeds game got covered in rain! Maybe the BBC will send their best equipment if it's live?

Yeah, they might get more money with an away tie, and they'd have preferred that. But this is what it's all about really. Much better watching Arsenal go to their little stadium than see them get destroyed at Arsenal. Sadly if they play on 3g, that reduces the chances of bobbles and sawdust levelling the playing field like it did literally in 1989.

Rocky

Thought those new 3G pitches were not too bad. Probably better than a mud field for the hoofers.

Yes definitely. Arsenal train on 3G in their indoor training pitch don't they?

Having played on 3G for about three years I'd say it's a great surface. I haven't seen much in the way of injuries. It is very consistent, although it does get pretty slippery if it is wet. Absolutely lovely to play on when it's dry.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
I coach on a 3G Sunday mornings. Compared to the occasional mud heaps I play on a Saturday this time of the year it's great.

I think the older astro turf pitches like multi purpose (Hockey etc) might be a bit hard on the joints, I used to train on one.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Get Bramall in there, he's used to that level and ground. The attack would obliterate them.

Zkt2amG.png

Box2Box

I'm surprised. I believe that they remain the last non-league team to knock a team from the top division out of the FA Cup (Unless I've missed someone?). Back in the same season Arsenal won the league in the last minute at Anfield. 1988/89 One of the most significant season's in the history of both clubs. Wonder if 2016/17 will be the same? It certainly will if Sutton can win this.

They beat Coventry who had won the FA cup two seasons previously by beating Tottenham at Wembley.

Sutton Utd used to be my local team. I was at Gander Green Lane for the win against Coventry. And the previous season's 1-1 against Middlesbrough.

I feel a bit uneasy about this draw.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Well it probably won't be Friday night because of the midweek CL tie. Maybe Sunday afternoon?

Hopefully we come into the tie on a high after giving Bayern a shellacking at the Allianz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom