• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sydney FC thrown out of A-League.

Soler

Established Member
Sydney FC thrown out of A-League
Sydney Morning Herald
April 1, 2005

The football revolution in Australia, the Hyundai A-League, was last night shrouded in controversy after the Football Federation of Australia announced that Sydney FC would be thrown out of the league for breach of the salary cap.

The FFA set strict measures with the $1.5 million salary cap and warned there would be severe consequences for teams who went over the cap, even saying explusion from the league was a possibility, a fate which Sydney FC have suffered.

It is believed the club went as far over the salary cap as $500,000. The club had signed 19 of it's 20 alloted squad players, and were chasing the signature of Trinidad star Dwight Yorke as their marquee player.

There were a couple of disgruntled comments made by staff members of other A-League clubs in the past believing that Sydney FC had breached the salary cap.

The FFA refused to comment on the matter late last night, but a press conference will be held at 1pm EST today to outline the controversy which is sure to send shockwaves throughout the Australian football community.

Sydney FC chairman Walter Bugno was stunned at the news.

"This has come as a big shock to us. We feel that we have not done anything to break any laws and will be appealing this decision immediately. The entire Sydney FC staff, from myself down to the players along with the supporters are very shocked at the news. We feel that the last thing the A-League needed was this kind of controversy.

CEO Andy Harper revealed the FFA had got it wrong.

"We at Sydney FC strive for success but in trying to reach our goal we have not broken the salary cap. We will be collaborating thoroughly with the FFA on this matter as we try to clear the name of Sydney FC. Our supporters can be rest assured that Sydney FC will appeal the decision made by the FFA.

Aussie

Established Member
Is this some sort of April Fools joke.

Just that i have been copping them all day and i have become very wary..

teitzo

I just checked on the world game website, if this was true surely it would be on there... nice joke though

Aussie

Established Member
It was a nice effort but you will have to do better than that to get past me.

If you told me my shoeslaces were untied you would have had me for sure.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
I wish it wasnt a joke. It would've made Melbourne's job a lot easier. :wink:

I seriously forgot it was April Fools Day, I have to get some of my trusty 'Your shoelaces are untied' jokes going on overdrive to make up for my lack of awareness.

marc

sydney FC look liek there going to good in the A league...i like there coach coz hes got experience..im sure they wont get kicked out... :?

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom