The all things positive thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by truth_hurts, Nov 10, 2019.

1. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

Yea that word is used in many islamic or arabic influenced regions to designate non Muslims or colonizers. But many dont take offence

Mark Tobias likes this.
  2. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

So the irony that colonizers would use it for non- Muslim natives of the southern tip of africa is overwhelming. Even more so that they allow that word to offend them, given it's true origin and meaning.

mavelous likes this.
  3. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

The state of this topic now.

Poschentino getting sacked for Sp**s makes St. Totteringham day a likelihood this year. Plus, Bellerin should be fully fit now.

GoonerJeeves and albakos like this.
  4. Mark Tobias

Keeping Emery makes St Totteringham day an unlikelihood, IMO

GoonerJeeves and albakos like this.
  5. GunnerBP

GunnerBP Well-Known Member Trusted

The fact that Bobby Pires still practices with the team is a positive thing. I know he has an official position now, but when the day comes and a coach doesn't think it is good for Bobby to be around or Bobby just doesn't want to be around, then we will have really hit rock bottom.

6. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk #NeverArteta

First time I heard the term was in Lethal Weapon 2. I was absolutely stunned that South Africans had Arabic loan words in their language.

I hadn't a clue of its meaning in Afrikaans but picked up that it might've been more than a derisive insult towards Danny Glover's character.

After going to my local library & reading up on some history concerning South Africa, I found it amusing how such malevolent linguistic misappropriation of a word has had far reaching consequences for a group of people.

What I'm curious about is, from whom was the word misappropriated, the Malay people enslaved by the Dutch or the Indians brought over by the British as laborers?

7. Mark Tobias

I could be wrong about this but my understanding is that the Dutch used Table Bay in what is now, Cape Town as resting point while travelling to the West Indies. As they moved up Eastern coast of Africa they would have encountered more and more Muslim nations. And they brought this back and it became widely used among the white population here.

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  8. Tosker

Tosker Hates Foreigners

our women are currently 1-0 up against Liverpool Women

Camron likes this.