• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The people v Gilles Grimandi

Is Grimandi the worst scout of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Nah man you’re joking?

That means we could’ve had Kante, MBappe, Griezmann and Aubameyang.

That’s a CL winning team ffs.

There was some story about us going for him at the same time we tried to sign Martial but Mbappé felt he was too young to move away and wanted to at least stay one more season so he refused us.

It might just be a story so I'm not selling the story more expensive than I bought it!

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
The ***** gang in full flow, best illustrated by that gimp @Riou's comment.

So, who better than myself to play the devil's advocate and ruin this vomit inducing circle jerk party.

Hadn't watched either at the time but surely there was a logic behind signing Giroud over Auba, wasn't he league topscorer in a title winning team?

Maybe goal contributions stats comparison between the two could help:

Auba: 18 g + 11 a

Giroud: 25 g + 12 a

Conclusion:

@say yes and Grimandi

Spider-Man-Pointing-Meme.jpg

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feel like the word "gimp" is steadily being used more on AM since I joined, if that's my legacy on this site then I am happy.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The ***** gang in full flow, best illustrated by that gimp @Riou's comment.

So, who better than myself to play the devil's advocate and ruin this vomit inducing circle jerk party.

Hadn't watched either at the time but surely there was a logic behind signing Giroud over Auba, wasn't he league topscorer in a title winning team?

Maybe goal contributions stats comparison between the two could help:

Auba: 18 g + 11 a

Giroud: 25 g + 12 a

Conclusion:

@say yes and Grimandi

Spider-Man-Pointing-Meme.jpg

There was logic at the time but isn’t it a scouts job not to just follow the logic and be able to pick the better player?

From 2014 onwards there’s no comparison between the two.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He was available for less than 75m wasn't he ? But I'm talking about when he was at Celtic still. We were linked with him in 2013-14 but one of our scouts turned him down
From Liam Brady
It was summer of 2015 that I mentioned Virgil van Dijk to the powers-that-be at Arsenal. Whenever I watched Celtic, he was so cool and commanding and my connections in Scotland all assured me this fella was a hell of a player.

The word from inside Celtic was they had to sell, that he was itching to get into the Premier League, and that there was a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in place that he could go.

I wasn’t scouting for the Arsenal first team then, but I passed the info on. And a lot of clubs must rue what they let him slip through their hands. Nobody moved, not Liverpool, United, Chelsea. Van Dijk hadn’t yet made his Dutch debut and I’m guessing there was a reluctance to judge him on Scottish standards.

What a mistake it was by several clubs to let Southampton take him for £13m.

----
Unfortunately it's not uncommon to judge a player by their league rather than their quality. I remember certain posters laugh at me when I said he could sign for Barcelona tomorrow and not look out of place.

On Giles he was an average player, like a fair few players Wenger signed back then. Hard to believe was a worse scout. France has had so much talent pass through their leagues it's hard to believe we missed out on all of them. For a club with a French Connection that had so much success with players from France it's a bizarre turn of events.

On Giroud it may be revisionist but I dont think he was as bad as some make out. His link up play was and still is outstanding and when teams get balls into the box he is dominate in the air. I still remember he had the most headed goals in the league. Not bad for a team not known to fling balls into the box. He would be a perfect 2 up top player or with the right players around him to cover for his lack of mobility. Just a shame though it seemed like Alexis and Özil failed to get on with him. He has done alright though probably better than either of them since having won the EL and a World Cup since leaving us.

Furious

There was logic at the time but isn’t it a scouts job not to just follow the logic and be able to pick the better player?

From 2014 onwards there’s no comparison between the two.

Didn't think anybody would take that post seriously.:lol:

Yeah sure, obviously Auba is miles better now, but this happened years ago. Hindsight level is ridiculous.

Besides, there's been plenty of question marks over Auba as well. Could he lead the line in the PL at a younger age when you consider that we're not even using him as a striker now? His poor overall play, no top clubs going for him, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: roz

Furious

I voted no on worst of all time solely because Steve Walsh exists. Built himself up at Leicester as a super scout but when he left they continued to excel at signing hidden gems.

Meanwhile when he went to Everton as sporting director he was then responsible for this incredible work.

EFE6-BF40-3-EFC-456-C-B854-600781-BA4-E5-A.jpg

First year not terrible. All the big money signings were flops but Gueye and Calvert-Lewin were smart buys as was Lookman even if they sold him very cheaply.

Then came the infamous 2017 window.

9-F339-BAD-AADE-4-FC1-8-F2-A-FD753494-B4-D9.jpg

Roughly 180M spent on utter dross with maybe only one successful signing who was a huge overpay at 45M.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jeez. Buy within the league they say.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Watching our rivals all go on take me out with Hazard whilst we got his mate Gervinho the summer before was a nice experience.

Grimandi was the Raul of scouts.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Watching our rivals all go on take me out with Hazard whilst we got his mate Gervinho the summer before was a nice experience.

Think Hazard is another one we tried to sign early but he decided to play one more season. That season caught the attention of all the big clubs unfortunately.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Mate of mine at Uni was convinced that Hazard was only good because of Gervinho at Lille.

I remember when Wenger played him up front out of desperation one year and he kept telling me his Henry level breakthrough was about to happen :lol:

Top Bottom