• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
No it wasn’t. I don’t know why people are liking this post.

Highbury couldn’t be expanded and by staying there today you would have one of the smallest grounds in the PL.
We would have kept the most iconic, beautiful football Stadium the World has ever seen.

Instead we got an identikit Stadium to let in a load of tourists, great idea.
Money isn't everything, integrity is.

Al3w2yp.jpg

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Preferred Highbury definitely but don't think staying was ever on the table was it? Always thought it was either new stadium or play at Wembley and board picked new stadium resulting in Dein leaving.

Yeah, Wembley option might have been interesting...would have been funny to play at the home of England, knowing the FA hate us :lol:

Shame we didn't get an owner like Chelsea, who put a ton of cash into the club meaning they could compete despite having a stadium with about the same capacity of Highbury.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Stay and do what at Highbury? Compete with Burnley?
Like we’re doing now? :lol:

Emirates was a colossal f*ck up in hindsight can’t really be debated.
The only way all fans will benefit from it is if money leaves the league and self generating revenue becomes King - which could very well happen but it will mean the league won’t be the best anymore.

Funny comment though unless that was sarcasm - Burnley are above us in the table with 1 game left.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
This was what the plan was for the new Highbury

KEVqOFZ.png

We could have done that at both ends, instead of building those ****ing goddamnawful new clockend and north bank abominations.

Those two stands would have joined on seamlessly to the East and West Stand and made The Arsenal Stadium even more Orgasmic

We could even have built boxes in the middle tier for the corporate wankers.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, Wembley option might have been interesting...would have been funny to play at the home of England, knowing the FA hate us :lol:

Shame we didn't get an owner like Chelsea, who put a ton of cash into the club meaning they could compete despite having a stadium with about the same capacity of Highbury.
I think Dein's idea was money saved on building a new stadium would have went into squad investment by playing at Wembley. Who knows what would have happened but can't be any worse than the majority of the years since :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Like we’re doing now? :lol:

Emirates was a colossal f*ck up in hindsight can’t really be debated.
The only way all fans will benefit from it is if money leaves the league and self generating revenue becomes King - which could very well happen but it will mean the league won’t be the best anymore.

Funny comment though unless that was sarcasm - Burnley are above us in the table with 1 game left.
How was it a **** up though? Had we stayed there we still wouldn’t have competed with Utd and Chelsea who had just been taken over, and a few years later City.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

How was it a **** up though? Had we stayed there we still wouldn’t have competed with Utd and Chelsea who had just been taken over, and a few years later City.
We might have, we still could have competed somewhat back then when we still had the allure and reputation.

However, we chose to saddle ourselves with debt and operate on a shoestring with the long term in mind and it hasn’t worked out. TV and Oil money has ensured our extra match day revenues stay irrelevant.

The only people the Emirates benefited was whoever who owned the club and the extra fans who can afford tickets.
I am pretty sure we could have gotten a couple more titles before whatever fall off they imagined would have happened staying at Highbury. Seeing us now, Dein was right.

After all that debt and failed youth experiments here we are competing with Burnley for UEFA cup places.

Riou

We might have, we still could have competed somewhat back then when we still had the allure and reputation.

However, we chose to saddle ourselves with debt and operate on a shoestring with the long term in mind and it hasn’t worked out. TV and Oil money has ensured our extra match day revenues stay irrelevant.

The only people it benefited was whoever who owned the club and the extra fans who can afford tickets.
I am pretty sure we could have gotten a couple more titles before whatever fall off they imagined would have happened staying at Highbury. Seeing us now, Dein was right.

I can't believe people look at what Arsène did at Highbury, versus what he did at the Emirates, and say we have improved in any way as a team...who cares if we have 20,000 extra seats, what good has that done the us as a football team?

I reckon if we stayed at Highbury we would be in a much better position now.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I can't believe people look at what Arsène did at Highbury, versus what he did at the Emirates, and say we have improved in any way as a team...who cares if we have 20,000 extra seats, what good has that done the us as a football team?

I feel like we’d be the same position but with a lot more recent titles and possibly a champions league win.

Riou

I feel like we’d be the same position but with a lot more recent titles and possibly a champions league win.

Yeah, that's what I meant...but as I said earlier, maybe we wouldn't have got Stan in this reality with no stadium move post 2006...maybe some oil money comes our way and we are he new City.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It was definitely worth the gamble (how could you foresee what happened).

Im just saying it flopped and the Burnley comment reeked of irony as they are currently above us in the table last I checked.

Perhaps it was the owner that killed us rather than the stadium.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer

Had chelsea and city takeovers not happened, changing the financial landscape of English football in the process, we'd be in a position to be one of the best. No one could have seen that coming when they began planning.

No it wasn’t. I don’t know why people are liking this post.

Highbury couldn’t be expanded and by staying there today you would have one of the smallest grounds in the PL.
The escalation of TV money and oil money made attendance income less significant.

The only good thing to have come from it is that more fans can attend - it's good for the ordinary fan.

The promises made that it would elevate the club financially haven't been delivered.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

As long as some oil baron had taken ownership...we could be playing on the Hackney Marshes, Finsbury Park or Brisbane Road.

Buy a non-entity, pour money into...profit. Else known as buying Man City.

Riou

Had chelsea and city takeovers not happened, changing the financial landscape of English football in the process, we'd be in a position to be one of the best. No one could have seen that coming when they began planning.

Didn't Rupert Muroch try to buy Yanited in the 90s, but it fell through due to a conflict of interests or something...plus Blackburn and Newcastle went from bottom of division 2, to top teams in England briefly due to ownership change and a lot of cash in the early 90s.

Feel like we could have been smart and put some type of strategy in place for something like that to happen again, feel like we went... "a rich owner will never take over a team in the country, we will be fine."

Felt like we had enough evidence to suggest something like what has happened might happen, but we didn't take it into account, especially as the Premier League got more global with each passing year of it's creation...if it attracted top foreign players and foreign managers, why wouldn't foreign owners want a piece of that.

Always felt like we planned poorly imo.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Didn't Rupert Muroch try to buy Yanited in the 90s, but it fell through due to a conflict of interests or something...plus Blackburn and Newcastle went from bottom of division 2, to top teams in England briefly due to ownership change and a lot of cash in the early 90s.

Feel like we could have been smart and put some type of strategy in place for something like that to happen again, feel like we went... "a rich owner will never take over a team in the country, we will be fine."

Felt like we had enough evidence to suggest something like what has happened might happen, but we didn't take it into account, especially as the Premier League got more global with each passing year of it's creation...if it attracted top foreign players and foreign managers, why wouldn't foreign owners want a piece of that.

Always felt like we planned poorly imo.
To be fair, David Dein saw the writing on the wall, that's why he tried to get outside investment. Problem is he backed the wrong horse in Stan Kroenke and when he saw how he operated, he realized he'd sacrificed his reputation and position on the board of executives and wasn't gonna get what he wanted. Getting in bed with Usmanov was a desperate move.
I think the small silver lining for us is that his son Josh Kroenke actually seems relatively serious about the club at least trying to be competitive - not to blow too much smoke up his ass mind you as he hasn't done **** yet :lol:.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Laca and Auba should both be sold if we don’t make EL. Arteta’s League PPM equates to ~60 on a full season (with both strikers here, and they’re not getting younger), so they’re no guarantee of European football even if they do stay. Better to cash in, reinvest (immediately and more youthfully), and avoid another Özil situation (or worse, two), as we build a squad that can reach heights unobtainable as it’s currently constructed.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom