• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

ricky1985

Established Member
Whenever I've seen him, and that's not very often, he's always looked a little rash. Doesn't seem to have that aura of calm around him, that nearly all the good 'keepers have.

Floating

Established Member
Cahill would also satisfy the homegrown rule. We'd have Gibbs, Cahill, Fabregas, Walcott, Ramsey, Szczesny, Clichy(?)...

KY

Established Member
Anyone know whatever happened to Sebastian Giovinco? Haven'T heard of him all season! wonder if he's still as highly lauded...

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
KY said:
Anyone know whatever happened to Sebastian Giovinco? Haven'T heard of him all season! wonder if he's still as highly lauded...
I love Giovinco, but apparently he's been injured quite a bit, and when he's been fit, he hasn't been picked. Similar situation to Vela, apparently (I think Ibby, the Serie A know-it-all, provided me with this information).

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Ron Burgundy said:
KY said:
I love Giovinco, but apparently he's been injured quite a bit, and when he's been fit, he hasn't been picked. Similar situation to Vela, apparently (I think Ibby, the Serie A know-it-all, provided me with this information).
that's pretty much it in a nutshell.. the new Juve coaches are just so against playing him for some reason, I dont understand it.. Diego has been sh*t for most of the season, and Gio cant get a game..

he really needs to leave Juve as he has quite a lot to offer the right team.. he is quite small and very light though (think Arshavin, only smaller and weaker) but ultra talented

P_Gunner

Giovinnco is hot and cold at Juve. He doesn't get as many chances as other players, but when he does start he is sometimes bright and other times dull. I've seen him play great football one week then average the next week. I don't think he's much better than what we have here.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
P_Gunner said:
Giovinnco is hot and cold at Juve. He doesn't get as many chances as other players, but when he does start he is sometimes bright and other times dull. I've seen him play great football one week then average the next week. I don't think he's much better than what we have here.
that's because its hard to get consistency when you dont play..

qs

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
qs said:
I reckon Dunnes fitness will drop off pretty quick over the next 2 years, he hasn't always taken good care of himself and I think that will make it harder for him to maintain his fitness into his 30s.

I'd love to get Brede Hangeland. I think he's a fantastic centre half. 10 tens the player Cahill is.
You really don't rate Cahill do you?

He'd be ok as 3rd choice, I certainly don't think he'd be an adequate replacement for Gallas. Last thing we need is a weaker defence next season. I neither think he's good enough nor the right type of defender to partner Tom.

qs

Established Member
floating said:
Cahill would also satisfy the homegrown rule. We'd have Gibbs, Cahill, Fabregas, Walcott, Ramsey, Szczesny, Clichy(?)...

Thats not an issue for us at the moment.

ricky1985

Established Member
qs said:
ricky1985 said:
qs said:
I reckon Dunnes fitness will drop off pretty quick over the next 2 years, he hasn't always taken good care of himself and I think that will make it harder for him to maintain his fitness into his 30s.

I'd love to get Brede Hangeland. I think he's a fantastic centre half. 10 tens the player Cahill is.
You really don't rate Cahill do you?

He'd be ok as 3rd choice, I certainly don't think he'd be an adequate replacement for Gallas. Last thing we need is a weaker defence next season. I neither think he's good enough nor the right type of defender to partner Tom.
What type of defender would you have Cahill down as? And what sort of defender do you want to partner Vermaelen?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I know the question was meant for qs, but I'd like someone who's older and more experienced than Gary Cahill is. I like Cahill too but he's exactly the type of player you'd ideally have as a backup choice. I think you overrate him quite a bit. If you can't get a callup to the national team in front of the likes of Lescott, Upson and Shawcross you're not what I'd call good enough to start at Arsenal. Squaddie? Sure. But I don't want him to play 45 games for us next season.

Floating

Established Member
Klaus, what CBs do you think fit the bill that should partner Vermaelen?

Here's a quick list off the top of my head of some potential candidates (ages 26-29):

Bruno Alves
Giorgio Chiellini
Andrea Barzagli
Alessandro Gamberini
Luisão
Naldo
Diego Lugano
Servet Çetin
Brede Hangeland
Per Mertesacker
Roland Juhász
Philippe Mexès

I'd honestly be happy with any of them except maybe Mexès.

Younger candidates:

Gary Cahill
Cristian Zapata
Federico Fazio
Adil Rami
Douglas
Mamadou Sakho

P_Gunner

I don't think Barzagli and Gamberini are Arsenal level. Chiellini might not leave Juve, even if they don't qualify for the CL. Mertesacker just signed for Schalke. Don't think Juhasz is good enough for Arsenal either. Bruno Alves is most likely out of our budget.

Zico

Established Member
I really like the look of Sakho. He and Vermaelen could lead our defense for the next 6 years. If we had the money, and the players were amenable, it would be impressive to get a combination of Sakho and Zapata. We could then send Gallas, Senderos and the Manc spy on their merry way, and have Campbell stick around to mentor Sakho, Zapata and Djourou.

Bossa

Established Member
floating said:
Klaus, what CBs do you think fit the bill that should partner Vermaelen?

Here's a quick list off the top of my head of some potential candidates (ages 26-29):

Bruno Alves
Giorgio Chiellini
Andrea Barzagli
Alessandro Gamberini
Luisão
Naldo
Diego Lugano
Servet Çetin
Brede Hangeland
Per Mertesacker
Roland Juhász
Philippe Mexès

I'd honestly be happy with any of them except maybe Mexès.

Younger candidates:

Gary Cahill
Cristian Zapata
Federico Fazio
Adil Rami
Douglas
Mamadou Sakho

Those guys are nowhere near Mexes´ class imo.

Anzac

Established Member
from f365 - will be VERY p*ssed off if this IS so & we don't make an effort.

MANYOO IN FOR BENZEMA AGAIN
Back to the News of the World for their report that 'Real Madrid flop Karim Benzema is Manchester United's No 1 summer transfer target.'

It reckons that, despite United's mountain of debt, Sir Alex Ferguson ' is considering a £20million-plus swoop for the 22-year-old French striker.'

But perhaps of greater significance are the comments attributed to United chief executive David Gill in the report:

"I can look you in the eye and tell you straight that we have the transfer funds available to the manager.

"Targets have been discussed already, as you'd expect, but it's not our style to talk about names and it never will be."

qs

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
What type of defender would you have Cahill down as? And what sort of defender do you want to partner Vermaelen?

Cahill is a first ball defender IMO, I think we need someone more like Gallas whos quicker and can recover better.

Agree completely with Klaus too. I want more experience. I don't think we can have two 24 year olds in defence unless we're bringing in someone very special. I don't think anyone considers Cahill to be that.

KY

Established Member
Anzac said:
from f365 - will be VERY p*ssed off if this IS so & we don't make an effort.

why? It's not like strikers are our main priorities right now, especially with the high probability that Chamakh is coming. We have other priorities without wasting 20 million just for him to sit on the bench?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom