• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It makes more sense if replacing Lacazette. Can see him complementing the pace of Pepe opposite & Auba up front.

Always liked the secondary winger position Chelsea have often had when the team clicking like Malouda or Willian.

The Brazilian boy wonder can still have a big role being first sub wide & understudy to Auba up top.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Watched a small highlight video of Lemar and his ball striking is so nice

Does he pass well? Create chances? Or more attacking, shooting player?

I'm fine with Laca going. Don't think he's ever going to be a great performer here even though I don rate him more than most

Another who goes missing when his team aren't on the ball though. We need more players who thrive on high intensity football and wrestle the ball from opponents the way Liverpool's forwards do.

He's a nice footballer but if I'd take any type of player from Simeone's Atleti it would be a more imposing one.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If they want a striker, I wonder who we could get in a player swap if we offered Auba?

chessygoal

Lemar at a discount price is a very good transfer IMHO.
Even at Madrid he still plays a lot better than people think by watching his stats. They overpaid, like we did with Pepe, it doesn't change the fact that Lemar would get straight into or first XI. He's a lot better than anything we have at LW, and can give competition for Özil and Pepe.
We could even put him in a midfield 3, as a D. Silva light.
Lemar for Lacazette would be a great deal.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Lemar's issues stem from not being utilized properly. The parallel between his drop-off in performance and his move away from playing more centrally is not a coincidence. I doubt his qualities as a player just disappeared for no reason, his close control and dribbling abilities are still there. He'd be a very good addition as a left-sided midfielder in a three-man midfield if the deal can be completed for somewhere around 30-35 mil. What matters is the price, if the price is too steep there are better options.

Lemar at a discount price is a very good transfer IMHO.
Even at Madrid he still plays a lot better than people think by watching his stats. They overpaid, like we did with Pepe, it doesn't change the fact that Lemar would get straight into or first XI. He's a lot better than anything we have at LW, and can give competition for Özil and Pepe.
We could even put him in a midfield 3, as a D. Silva light.
Lemar for Lacazette would be a great deal.
In other news, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Yes but he’s also 33 in a month and would be looking for massive wages. It’s a risk. Never played in the PL.

I get the age argument but I personally think Cavani would be suited to the PL, very hardworking and physical player.

He would be a handful and similar to Diego Costa just with less c*** about him.

Would definitely take Cavani if the figures are correct.

chessygoal

In other news, the grass is always greener on the other side.
I actually value Laca, and I have been consistent in saying that he's our best CF, despite what his stats say, we just play better when he's CF than when Auba is CF.
But that being said, I have watched him since his debut with the french u19 team, and he has been declining rapidly in the last few years.
It would be sensible business to move Lacazette this year and get someone younger while we still can get some value for him. With Auba and Martinelli, we have some stop gap solutions, and we could get someone else this summer (Jovic, Werner there are some options out there).
Regarding Lemar, he had one purple patch, the year Monaco won everything. But if you look at his stats, he has never been someone who scores or assist a lot. His contributions in the final third are close to what Iwobi produced, even lower, and I don't think it will change a lot if he came here.
But what Lemar brings is a very good engine, he can run up and down the pitch for the whole game, and he is very useful in possession as he rarely loses the ball under pressure and has a high pass completion rate, even if he always tries to pass forward.
I think Arteta can use that kind of player, it's a profile we don't really have in this team, and it would balance the high risk high reward play style of Pepe.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Laca has been working hard for Arteta but it's been a long time since he showed he could finish well. I'm alos concerned that he will burn out. Good hold up play and and pressing but that's about it now. Considering his age and likelyhood he will be off soon anyway, I would give the Lemar deal a punt. I feel Martin Nelly is destined to be a CF and I think Arteta could bring some life back into Lemar.

Atletico Madrid are my "Spain team" and Simioneball is really hard for some players to take to. Lemar has a lot of natural talent. A change of scene could do him well.

I'm not too fussed either way though to be honest.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Lemar could be a good fit given his profile of a creative, left winger who flourishes when he can come centrally. You got pepe wide on the right with the RB tucking into central midfield, and on the left you could have Lemar coming centrally with Kolasinac/Tierney going high and wide on that side with still a central midfielder left to cover defensively. You could even replicate this with youngsters Saka on the right and Nelson on the left as someone who drifts in while the LB provides width.

Lemar could be a quick fix for more creativity. On the other hand I wouldn't mind to end this season with this squad and then go out in the summer. Could be a risky punt, but I guess an option would be to cash in on both Aubameyang and Lacazette and go hard for a free Cavani on a two year contract - Edinson has worked and scored in every team and league he played for and he's a very good athlete; I don't think he'll very much suffer physically in the next years. Gives you a frontline of Cavani and Martinelli as his backup. On that right side you may want to take a look at loaning out Saka - the boy's been doing well but he's only 18 - and bringing in Ryan Fraser on a free, too, to have a more consistent and experienced backup for that right wide side; 4 year contract, after two/three seasons you sell a 28/29 year old league proven player. Operating like this would keep the quality up front on the same level while generating money through the Auba+Laca sales which could in the summer go into a recently less struggling left winger than Lemar and central midfield.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom